EPC light, no throttle, P2101 code

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Carproblems
New
Drives: MK4 (9n)

EPC light, no throttle, P2101 code

Post by Carproblems »

Hello!
I have a Seat ibiza 6L 1,4 BBY engine (same car as polo 9n) and I've had an issue lately where the EPC light turns on suddenly when I start the engine with code P2101. The throttle works but only up to 2k RPM and the car seems to be in some form of weird limp mode I'm not sure. The moment I turn the engine off and on again it works like normal and the check engine light goes off after a hundred miles or so. When I return to the car and attempt to start it again I have the same issue. It seems to only happen when I start the car and every now and then.

I did experience a weird problem a few weeks ago which has only happened to me once, while driving on the highway and attempting to accelerate from 50 to 60 mph or so the throttle stopped working completely and the EPC light came on again with the same trouble code. I had to coast to shoulder of the highway restart the engine and worked like normal.

Could a dirty throttle body cause these issues?
Carproblems
New
Drives: MK4 (9n)

Re: EPC light, no throttle, P2101 code

Post by Carproblems »

Since I solved the problem I thought I would update the thread in case it might help someone else, turns out the issue was a dirty MAP-sensor.

I initially suspected the throttle body or gas pedal was the cause since it kept throwing up throttle body related codes but I did remove the MAP sensor to take a look and it turns out that the MAP-sensor was completely covered in soot and carbon build up over the years which caused interference. I sprayed it with some electronic parts cleaner and the issue went away almost immediately, it took a few minutes of driving and couple engine restarts for the symptoms to completely disappear and they've not come back since. I did notice a slight improvement when accelerating as the car didn't surge anymore when applying full throttle when joining the highway for instance like it did before and the idle feels a little smoother.

Since the sensor was 20 years old almost I did eventually replace it with a new BOSCH sensor since they only cost roughly 35$ and the new sensor has a different part number compared to the old (new 0 261 230 234 old 0 261 230 095) so likely this is an updated part, didn't notice any performance difference with the new one so I believe the previous one was working fine once cleaned but I replaced it anyways.

Since the MAP-sensor was completely covered in gunk it is fair to assume that the rest of the intake manifold, throttle body, EGR and PCV system is also covered with the same stuff so I initially thought about removing everything and giving it a thorough cleaning but since the car is almost 20 years old I decided to just leave everything alone since removing all that stuff is quite an involved job and replacing broken plastic component would be a major issue, also I did take out the MAP-sensor recently to check for carbon build up and to my surprise there was none, it looked like I just installed out of the box so it seems that carbon build up isn't an acute issue. I am going to clean the throttle body however once I get VCDS to readapt it.
Attachments
IMG_20230827_111609.jpg
IMG_20230827_111609.jpg (5.59 MiB) Viewed 1194 times