Buying Advice

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nimbus
New
Drives: No Polo Just Yet

Buying Advice

Post by nimbus »

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a Polo. One has come up local to me. Its 2016 plate 1.2 TSi Match model. 1 owner, full service history. However the mileage is 120,000. Is the higher mileage anything to be concerned about?

What things should I be looking for at a viewing? Is there anything I should be expecting to replace in the near future? Any specific questions I should be asking the seller?

Thanks in advance...
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Re: Buying Advice

Post by R826583 »

I have a 2016 1.2L TSI Polo.

A few things that come to mind to check around the millage of the car that you describe are:

-The water pump. They often develop leaks and need to be replaced. The newer OEM water pumps that can be installed as a replacement hopefully have an improved reliability. I changed my water pump at 103,000km as it was leaking coolant, albeit a small amount. I have heard of people having to change their water pump much earlier or later than I had to. It is a bit of a game of chance I suppose. Although, you will be able to see if it is beginning to leak, and you will have some time to consider replacement options, usually.

-The timing belt. They should be replaced because the engine is an interference engine, and if it snaps while the engine is running your valves could be severely damaged. VW serviced the timing belt of my car when the previous owners had it around 90,000km. It isn’t something to worry about so long as the timing belt is changed around this point. I believe most timing belts are changed around 120,000km. Someone may have to correct me on this.

Pricing on the water pump and timing belt replacement will vary depending on where you are located and if you choose to change them yourself. I would factor this into the purchase price of the car, because if they are not changed already, you most likely will have to change them in the near future.

I hope this helps. Perhaps one of the more experienced forum members could jump in if I’m missing something. The Polos are very fun cars to drive. They handle well on the road. I really enjoy driving my Polo.