Bought Polo last Sunday, VIN number not visible on windscreen

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KTpolo
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

Bought Polo last Sunday, VIN number not visible on windscreen

Post by KTpolo »

Hi everyone,

I bought a WV Polo from a trader last Sunday and, as said in the title, I've discovered that the VIN isn't showing under the windscreen. I had checked the V5 against the number under the bonnet and in the boot, I'm not that daft, but I'd forgotten all about looking under the windscreen.

The car seems straight overall, although the dealer did lie about it having FSH when the last stamp was for July 2022. It had only done around 7,000 miles since then so was within the service history intervals for mileage but not time. I did raise that at the time but went ahead anyway as my last car was a scrapper and I needed to be mobile again and this did seem like a good Polo for the price even with that issue.

It looks like a pay and display ticket may have slipped down through the gap between the dash and the windscreen, as the V of the VIN number is visible. The rest is conveniently obscured by white paper. If I do get the dash opened up and it does turn out not to be the right number, then it's a police matter and I'll report it. On googling this situation, it's not been unknown for people to have their car towed away as a "suspected stolen vehicle" if a traffic warden can't see the VIN, so it's quite a serious matter.

I think I have valid grounds for rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in these circumstances. I have texted the dealer to discuss the above and so far he's not replied (he was replying within a minute previously). I could go to small claims to get my money back if he refuses to take the car back, although that will probably take months.

First of all, how easy will it be to open up the dash and retrieve this bit of white paper so that the VIN is visible and can be checked? Is itan easy DIY job to open it up? If not, what would a garage charge?

Thanks,

Katie
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Bought Polo last Sunday, VIN number not visible on windscreen

Post by iichel »

You might get away with a folded piece of paper or a small wire to fish it out
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

Oops, I'm in the wrong forum. It's a 2014 model.
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

Just to update, the dealer has since got back to me and he's arranged to sort it when I bring it on, so all should be good. The VIN does check out in the other places (engine bay, boot, door pillar), so I presume it is legit.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

KTpolo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm Oops, I'm in the wrong forum. It's a 2014 model.
got that sorted out ;)
KTpolo
New

Post by KTpolo »

iichel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:51 pm
KTpolo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm Oops, I'm in the wrong forum. It's a 2014 model.
got that sorted out ;)
Thanks. :)