1.4 TDi Oil level sensor replacement

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
alexpc
New
Drives: 2008 1.4 TDi Match 3 Door

1.4 TDi Oil level sensor replacement

Post by alexpc »

Hey,

Couple months ago my oil warning light (yellow) started flashing 5 times when turning the ignition on. It doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time, and is only initially after turning the key - not while driving. I believe this to be a dying oil level sensor, as I've checked the oil level which is fine and also disconnected the bonnet latch as apparently that can also be a cause, but made no difference.

Has anyone replace the oil level sensor on the BNM 1.4 TDi engine before? I think the 1.9TDi models its located on the bottom of the sump so is a case of raising the car, draining the oil and swapping it out then adding new oil, but on the BNM its on the top of the sump. What's the easiest way to get to it? From the top and just remove all the hoses I can? Also, with it being on top of the sump, can it be replaced without losing much/any oil?

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 1.4 TDi Oil level sensor replacement

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't comment much on the position of the sensor, but I'm sure on the old BBY petrol engine, it was on the side of the alloy sump pan, and as you say, on most newer engines, on the base of the sump pan alloy or steel.

The bonnet catch switch, just to clear things up for you, in case you are unsure, when a "low oil level" warning is handed out, it will remain always, and if that switch is now faulty and cannot recognise when the bonnet has been opened, even if you top up the engine oil, the "low oil level" warning will remain - that is why it is always useful to have that bonnet open switch working - and obviously too know when you haven't closed the bonnet properly.