Rattles...again

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Rattles...again

Post by Le_Combattant »

Hey fox,

Winter in France is here with some minus temperature.
Car is cold, and plastic trim also.

Now my Pillar A (left and right) are rattleling at each bump on the road until the cabin temp is warm.

Glove box too...rattleling has hell because of low temperature.

I removed A pillar due to my headliner replacement and re-tight all screws of my sunroof during this summer.

A pillars were in perfect condition and metals clips were replaced.

I know Polo become noisy with time, but, man, it's very annoying.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Rattles...again

Post by ciclo »

At the moment I do not suffer from rattles from the interior parts in my 6R (11 and a half years old), which always sleeps in the garage at reasonable temperatures.
However with the winter rains, when I get into my 6R the rear springs sound like this :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHpV6MNg3dQ , in the garage the sound is amplified, I even think it has an echo effect... 😄
Someday I will have to put some rubber bands between the springs and the axle arms where they rests, like the ones the Golf 7 has from the factory... 🤷‍♂️

Changes in temperature or humidity are usually friends of annoying/funny noises in vehicles.
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Post by R826583 »

Jumping in to say my 6C has that squeak as well. Especially when going over speed bumps :P
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

In my wife's August 2015 6C 1.2TSI, it is the "chromed" rings on the dashboard displays that drive me crazy in changing temperatures, I've always meant to try prising them out and applying a spot of silicon grease - but 8 winters on, I've not got round to doing that. Also the driver's side upper seat belt area does make a noise until I have viciously pulled the belt out and released it a few times!

Lately, "something" behind the dashboard has started causing a noise, but from memory, the cabling is stored in clips behind the dashboard and in time they start to "droop" and so touch parts that they should not be touching.
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Post by R826583 »

Re the seatbelt… I have the same issue which drives me crazy. It’s a little squeak from something in the seatbelt assembly on the pillar that sits right next to my ear. I believe it is the height adjustable mechanism rubbing. I was going to slide a thin layer of material into the adjustable seat belt area to see if this would solve the issue but I haven’t got around to it yet.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

R826583 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:07 pm Re the seatbelt… I have the same issue which drives me crazy. It’s a little squeak from something in the seatbelt assembly on the pillar that sits right next to my ear. I believe it is the height adjustable mechanism rubbing. I was going to slide a thin layer of material into the adjustable seat belt area to see if this would solve the issue but I haven’t got around to it yet.
I had an annoying buzzing noise from driver’s upper seat belt mounting point area on the B pillar in my previous Polo GTI (a 2016 6C model). I moved the adjustment mechanism either up or down one notch and that cured it (apologies, can’t remember whether it was up or down as I sold the car over three years ago). No more unwanted buzzing and it never returned.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

ciclo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:20 am At the moment I do not suffer from rattles from the interior parts in my 6R (11 and a half years old), which always sleeps in the garage at reasonable temperatures.
However with the winter rains, when I get into my 6R the rear springs sound like this :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHpV6MNg3dQ , in the garage the sound is amplified, I even think it has an echo effect... 😄
Someday I will have to put some rubber bands between the springs and the axle arms where they rests, like the ones the Golf 7 has from the factory... 🤷‍♂️

Changes in temperature or humidity are usually friends of annoying/funny noises in vehicles.
Mine is sleeping outside from factory, since September 2014...so under heavy sun and cold during winter.

That's why, also, my sunroof (the part in "U" shape) is peeling off.
VW issue on all car fitted.

Except A pillar, no noise. Just one coming from B pillar (height adjuster).

So pretty correct, even since the car is lowered
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:41 am In my wife's August 2015 6C 1.2TSI, it is the "chromed" rings on the dashboard displays that drive me crazy in changing temperatures, I've always meant to try prising them out and applying a spot of silicon grease - but 8 winters on, I've not got round to doing that. Also the driver's side upper seat belt area does make a noise until I have viciously pulled the belt out and released it a few times!

Lately, "something" behind the dashboard has started causing a noise, but from memory, the cabling is stored in clips behind the dashboard and in time they start to "droop" and so touch parts that they should not be touching.
I have a solution for the cluster noise. I will share you some pictures later.
I had this issue. It make me crazy during winter. Rattle on poor road surface.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

The rear springs on my 6R are more frugal/OEM, I changed the original R-line ones (without 10/15mm lowering) for the BlueGT rear springs. Maybe having done this many years ago is what is related to the current bed sound. It's funny that it only happens when the weather is rainy and in the garage (during drying time).

For the interior noises in the cabin of our Golf7.5 that came from the rigid plastics in the instrument panel/infotainment system area, I used small pieces of cloth tape, these plastics have small factory rubber bands, but they are not enough to prevent noise.

In this case, I had the same noise problem than you, depended on the temperatures. For a couple of days or three fortunately I located the exact point where the annoying sound was coming from, by pressing non-existent buttons in different places on the plastics.
The small strips of cloth tape on the edges of the plastic have definitely solved the problem in any temperature. 🙂
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

For cluster rattle, you have to remove it from the car and put felt on this part (two lawer):
2lsw.jpg
2lsw.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 442 times
emkq.jpg
emkq.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 442 times
5thu.jpg
5thu.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 442 times
With the felt on this parts you remove the play between the cluster and the dashboard. Be very carefull when you install is back. Because of the play is reduce, you have to "play" with the cluster assy to put in back in place.

Torque for the bottom screws (x2) is 2.5Nm.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Thanks for that info, I'll do that when the weather is warmer.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:42 pm Thanks for that info, I'll do that when the weather is warmer.
Good idea. Plastic doesn't like cold temp and it's the best way to break something and ending with expensive trouble.