What real world mpg are you getting from your 1.2 TSI?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KTpolo
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI

What real world mpg are you getting from your 1.2 TSI?

Post by KTpolo »

I'm pretty happy overall with the 1.2 TSI (2014) I bought recently, although I'm slightly disappointed with the mpg I'm getting so far. Obviously I know that the official figures are unrealistic and it would be a tall order to get 70mpg in extra urban driving in real road conditions. But when I tried it a few days ago on a few miles of dual carriageway @ 70, followed by a few more miles on a quiet A road @ 40-50 driving as smoothly as possible, I feel I should have got more than 51 mpg. In town driving, it was in the 30s.

That was running standard E10 unleaded and, to be fair, the town driving has been in short runs with cold starts. I have since tried using Super Unleaded and that seems to bump up the mpg marginally in town driving (not tried a longer trunk road run with SU yet).

I'm just wondering how this compares to the real world figures others get with this model of TSI?

When I took it for an interim service shortly after I bought it, the guys did mention that the diagnostics showed a slight misfire (so slight that I can't hear or feel any misfire, it drives very smoothly) and suggested that it may need new spark plugs. The service history shows no sign of any spark plug changes since new, so they're probably right on that and I'll look into changing them. But in the meantime, my mpg does seem way lower than I was expecting.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Re: What real world mpg are you getting from your 1.2 TSI?

Post by 2226 »

Well mine has gotten slightly worse over the years.

And I also have a bit of that misfire feeling, although not reported in ECU. Disappeared with plug change, but get the hiccup only idle every now and again.

I would like to check the carbon build up at some point as I understand that affects mileage as well. I'm on 79000km now and I think that's usually when they need to checked for carbon build up.

As for mileage, these days getting about 35-40mpg (UK) running around the neighbourhood.
On longer constant trips around town, speed is 40-50mph, I'll get it somewhere around 52-58mpg.
Best I've seen is 68mpg, but that was really a feat of self control. Would've gone higher if I had further to go.

Highway miles is where things have changed for me. When it had about 25,000km on it it was easy getting 50-52mpg @ 75mph.
Now that is down to anywhere from 44-47mpg. Passengers might have increased in size though. :mrgreen:

Engine is 11/2016 CJZD.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: What real world mpg are you getting from your 1.2 TSI?

Post by Le_Combattant »

MIne is pretty decent.

It's a CJZC engine, stock with 144000 km on the clock.

On highway at 130 km/h, I can manage 6.5L/100km.
At lower speed like 80-90 km/h I can reach quite easely 5-4.8l/100 km.

So very happy. So with a full tank, I can manage 800 km. My record is 850 km.