Thoughts on the usefulness of fuel additive G001770A2

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
R826583
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 Polo 66TSI Trendline

Thoughts on the usefulness of fuel additive G001770A2

Post by R826583 »

I am wondering what the general consensus around the recommended G001770A2 fuel additive is for a CJZC 1.2L TSI engine. From what I can find online, the opinion seems to be somewhat split as to whether it is worth using it. I’m curious as to whether the fellow forum members use such a fuel additive.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Thoughts on the usefulness of fuel additive G001770A2

Post by ciclo »

It is becoming more complex and expensive to clean things (in general terms🧹🤭)... that said, I guess the question would be, what is the reason for doing this cleaning?
I don't think this additive is widely used in Europe (the normal side of 😄).

The doubt will always remain because the best product (additive) is the one that burns.😁
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Never even heard of this one.

Found some info on audi-sport.net and they indicate it is for countries such as "Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic".
Uhm... well I guess "Local market" should cover everywhere.

I bet this stuff is nothing special and same as other fuel cleaning additives with PEA in it.
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

The normal side of… :lol: :wink:

Lucky enough for me the Australians have excellent :roll: fuel *cough* I mean additive standards compared to the EU.

That’s a really long list of countries! Wow. I don’t think I’ll bother with it then based on the sound of things. Thanks Ciclo and 2226.

On an unrelated note, did the uk-polos.net stickers ever be produced? I’m keen to get some.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

The packaging looks very similar to liqui moly 21281 Pro-Line Direct Injection Cleaner, another injection cleaner additive with PEA. Not saying it is the same thing, they could be both just using the same packaging manufacturer/supplier.

I put a can of it the liqui moly stuff through a while ago and to be honest there’s wasn’t any noticeable difference, maybe a little better throttle response but that could well have been placebo.

If you want some more additives or a clean of the fuel system, I’d change the fuel filter and run a few tanks of your local premium unleaded offering.

If you want to try and see if it can do something, the can of liqui moly stuff was around £12 so almost half that of the VAG branded one. It has PEA in it so will do the same job.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/liqui-moly/15275472
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Thing I don't understand is what carbon deposits this is targeting.
I know PEA has the ability to clean carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber; but valve carbon deposits is where the issue tends to be. With direct injection that stuff is not getting to the valves except briefly during valve overlap.
R826583
Bronze Member

Post by R826583 »

It wouldn’t surprise me if the constituents of the VW / liqui moly cleaner were practically identical :lol:

I did read about fuel additives not being able to access the site of carbon buildup due to the direct injection nature of the engine. Perhaps the fuel additives are meant to clean the injectors rather…
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Post by Le_Combattant »

Fuel additive are useless, except to burn you money.

Due to DI (direct injection) carbon build up can't be removed with this kind of additive.
To remove carbon build up, you have to remove air intake and manually clean the valves.

For cleaning injector, why not but, with no visual inspection it's hard to tell if it's worth the price.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Carbon clean is a physical process. Seen numerous chemicals that are marketed as GDI intake valve cleaners. Actually have a can of CRC GDI IVD that I haven't bothered to use yet. No test so far that I have seen shows decent amounts of improvement. The only real fix to GDI carbon build-up is to have a secondary port injection system. This is what we're seeing in vehicles these days. Old tech wins again. :D Next thing you know carburettors are back. :mrgreen:

I really need to get myself a borescope to try check for build up. The chargecooler in the CJZD intake doesn't help here at all. Would love to test the CRC and see if it actually makes any difference.

Actually, I'd love to see what the chargecooler looks like what with all this oil floating in the intake right now. I'm sure an oily layer doesn't help that cooler's performance one bit.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:04 pm Fuel additive are useless, except to burn you money.

Due to DI (direct injection) carbon build up can't be removed with this kind of additive.
To remove carbon build up, you have to remove air intake and manually clean the valves.

For cleaning injector, why not but, with no visual inspection it's hard to tell if it's worth the price.
I use an ethanol booster and my old 1.4BBY runs smoother and returns more mpg.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

littlepolo wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:28 am
Le_Combattant wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:04 pm Fuel additive are useless, except to burn you money.

I use an ethanol booster and my old 1.4BBY runs smoother and returns more mpg.
I just used UL+ petrol in my wife's 2002 Polo with the BBY, and it loved it, even after I stopped it getting fed with engine oil via a faulty oil separator.