Ignition coil puller comparison

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Le_Combattant
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI 90 Cup

Re: Ignition coil puller comparison

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:42 pm I'm aware of all of that.
Polo here is all fixed service interval so 502.

504/507 can do, I know that.
But what I'm getting at is that these VW grades do not cover viscosity of oil, so you can get 0W-30 / 5W-30 / etc for 502, 504, 507 and so on.

For me, it's going to be Ravenol VMP in 5W-30. It's both 504 and 507 approved. I have no need for a 0 weight oil. I'll run on shortened fixed interval. TBN of VMP is lower than my current VST, but should be good over my shorter fixed interval. We will see.

I've seen them testing Mobil 1 oils with the latest Dexos certifications. Those Dexos oils should line up with these newer VW 508, etc. The results were amazing. They can deal with so much more stress and they definitely put down way less deposits in the ring lands. But they are often thinner oils.

I'm amazed they're listing the CJZD as being able to use 508 from 2018 onwards. What changes were done to the CJZD and what vehicle was that in in 2018+?

As for the dealer ... they're all like that here. My problem is I tended to trust them and that nearly cost me this engine. No oil change at last service with them; didn't even bother to check the level. And neither did I thinking they'd actually done the job.
To be honest, I don't know why too.
Ravenol is a excellent brand.

You can also consider Wolf, ENI and Shell. Mobil is also excellent.

With an oil like "0W" it means (and I suppose you already know it) oil is thinner at lower temperature. Which means a better lubrification for sensitive components like turbo, camshaft on top of the engine during cold weather.
TBN for my Shell is something between 8.1 and 8.3. So pretty high and almost equal to the 508 requirement (8.1 minimum).

"I'm amazed they're listing the CJZD as being able to use 508 from 2018 onwards. What changes were done to the CJZD and what vehicle was that in in 2018+?"

CJZD was produced after 2018 ? It's a question because I don't know.
If it's the case, I suppose they change some internals components and reduce the tolerance on the machining process. I guess...

Maybe you have to consider the fact of changing of dealer.
Each time dealer give me back the car, I go out with them to check if everything is correct.

Fun story, my grand father is running a Renault Twingo. Good car, very reliable.
On the last oil change, they forgot to tight the oil drain plug...and fall of during the night, and all the oil drain out in the car's garage...^

"Trust but verify"
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Not a good story with the Twingo. That could've cost him that engine.
Twingo is a rare sight here.

I was only using the dealership as the car still had motor plan and warranty. New to me car, need to keep warranty until I understand the thing.
The faster I can get away from a dealer the better. :)
I prefer DIY if I can.

Wolf oil I've tried. Very strange oil. Turned black near instantly. Can't remember which one it was.
Mobil 1 I can only find on the other end of the country and it costs a fortune.

I've run Petronas Syntium (3000 E?) in the Polo. Did that right after the oil issue with the dealership.
It stayed clean quite long and engine was smoother.
TBN is 12+. Weirdly, the shops not stocking Petronas anymore for some reason.

Have also topped up with Caltex Havoline Ultra S when it was low and I was away from home. Oil goes darker quicker. I think TBN is around 7.

So I will see what happens with VMP with 8.8 TBN.

That base number isn't everything with an oil, but so far the result line up.
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:29 pm Not a good story with the Twingo. That could've cost him that engine.
Twingo is a rare sight here.

I was only using the dealership as the car still had motor plan and warranty. New to me car, need to keep warranty until I understand the thing.
The faster I can get away from a dealer the better. :)
I prefer DIY if I can.

Wolf oil I've tried. Very strange oil. Turned black near instantly. Can't remember which one it was.
Mobil 1 I can only find on the other end of the country and it costs a fortune.

I've run Petronas Syntium (3000 E?) in the Polo. Did that right after the oil issue with the dealership.
It stayed clean quite long and engine was smoother.
TBN is 12+. Weirdly, the shops not stocking Petronas anymore for some reason.

Have also topped up with Caltex Havoline Ultra S when it was low and I was away from home. Oil goes darker quicker. I think TBN is around 7.

So I will see what happens with VMP with 8.8 TBN.

That base number isn't everything with an oil, but so far the result line up.
In France is not rare hahaha

You are right for the dealer. It's like the bank, the far I'm, better I feel.
DIY is nice. You save money, you learn etc...

I just go to VW to get the stamp.

Ortherwise, I DIY all the thing, plus oil change every 10000 km.

Petronas ? Never heard about this brand, at least in France.
With a TBN of 12, it's amazing.

With a TBN at leat of 8.8, you should be good.

TBN is of course a detail in the chemical composition of an oil, but it's a good indication about it's quality and it's capabilities to let the engine clean.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Petronas is not small. Make enough money to sponsor F1 Mercedes. :D

The base number on the newer oils seem to be getting lower. Obviously those additives (ash, etc) that combat acid also mess with emissions systems. It suspect more modern engines are gtting more corrosion protection coatings to offset this.

Oil is a mad science I will never understand. I learnt what I could through bobistheoilguy and got the heck out before I went mad. :mrgreen:
Le_Combattant
Silver Member

Post by Le_Combattant »

2226 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 am Petronas is not small. Make enough money to sponsor F1 Mercedes. :D

The base number on the newer oils seem to be getting lower. Obviously those additives (ash, etc) that combat acid also mess with emissions systems. It suspect more modern engines are gtting more corrosion protection coatings to offset this.

Oil is a mad science I will never understand. I learnt what I could through bobistheoilguy and got the heck out before I went mad. :mrgreen:
Ah yes, now I see.

Oil are very interesting product when you look are the details.

Today I change my spark plug.
Looks good but on cylinder 3 and 4, oil residus are present on the thread.
Last time they were changed by VW and those idiots put like a grease that completly dry around my coil igniter.

A terrible mess.
PXL_20231206_111837749.jpg
PXL_20231206_111837749.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 616 times
PXL_20231206_102727833.jpg
PXL_20231206_102727833.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 616 times
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Le_Combattant wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:43 pm

You are right for the dealer. It's like the bank, the far I'm, better I feel.
DIY is nice. You save money, you learn etc...
+1👍
Le_Combattant wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:43 pm I just go to VW to get the stamp.
I haven't gone for these things in a long time. I have to make the most of the durability of my last two VWs, ... while the others 'enjoy' two or more wonderful and current electric cars with 0 to 100 km/h in 5 seconds or less to reach the first the next traffic light, ... and get your fine ONLINE because the 'AI' (or who knows 😁) has detected your unnecessary haste in your hiperconnected car. 🤭

There will be applications that charge to turn on the heated seats... 😄 ...and I'm not kidding.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Le_Combattant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:41 am
2226 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 am Petronas is not small. Make enough money to sponsor F1 Mercedes. :D

Ah yes, now I see.

Oil are very interesting product when you look are the details.

Today I change my spark plug.
Looks good but on cylinder 3 and 4, oil residus are present on the thread.
Last time they were changed by VW and those idiots put like a grease that completly dry around my coil igniter.

A terrible mess.
What the hell did they put on there? Usually the grease goes inside the boot. They use mud? :D

Weird how my engine had clean threads, no oil on them, yet I churn through oil.
At least it looks like it is burning the oil and not fouling the plugs.

I know oil on threads could sometimes indicate valve cover gasket issues; but those 2 plugs do look like they've seen some oil in the chamber. No heavy scale as on my plugs though.

So with every oil change I run a can of Ravenol Professional Engine Cleaner through. You can also try LiquiMoly engine flush.
Anything with PEA chemical in it. They both have it.

These help remove the junk from the rings. When I tried the Ravenol it felt like nothing changed, but then over the next 3 days things got smoother, freer and with more punch. No oil was being consumed either. Oil consumption started again about 1000km later though as the oil started changing.

I have been trying to import BG EPR and MOA from the USA. Just can't ship volatile chemicals anymore. I've seen this clean up Ford EcoBOOM engines that burn oil.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

ciclo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 pm I haven't gone for these things in a long time. I have to make the most of the durability of my last two VWs, ... while the others 'enjoy' two or more wonderful and current electric cars with 0 to 100 km/h in 5 seconds or less to reach the first the next traffic light, ... and get your fine ONLINE because the 'AI' (or who knows 😁) has detected your unnecessary haste in your hiperconnected car. 🤭
Don't you like electric, ciclo? :D
ciclo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 pm There will be applications that charge to turn on the heated seats... 😄 ...and I'm not kidding.
That was BMW and their subscription for heated seats. I don't think anyone subscribed :mrgreen:
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

2226 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:52 pm
ciclo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 pm I haven't gone for these things in a long time. I have to make the most of the durability of my last two VWs, ... while the others 'enjoy' two or more wonderful and current electric cars with 0 to 100 km/h in 5 seconds or less to reach the first the next traffic light, ... and get your fine ONLINE because the 'AI' (or who knows 😁) has detected your unnecessary haste in your hiperconnected car. 🤭
Don't you like electric, ciclo? :D
ciclo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:30 pm There will be applications that charge to turn on the heated seats... 😄 ...and I'm not kidding.
That was BMW and their subscription for heated seats. I don't think anyone subscribed :mrgreen:
I'm glad you asked me that question, I love everything related to the primal forces of the Universe.💖
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669QUJrF4u0

When human beings are able to dominate the magnificent force of a star at will, for example the sun, we will stop doing primitive things (sapiens sapiens level). :mrgreen:

It is not necessary to do sapiens sapiens things and treacherously and evilly introduce hyperconnectivity at the same time that electric vehicles for human mobility are developed.😏
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

It's all about control. :)
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

2226 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:51 pm You can use a silicone paste instead of the Permatex. Either will do. I used a generic silicone paste that I also use for brakes.
I take this statement back. Maybe don't use silicone paste:

I have a white powdery deposit around the base of the plugs now. Can only be the paste that's dried out.
This plug is only few months old.
Pulled a few minutes ago as my OBDEleven is reporting 30K+ misfires yet no misfires noticed.