No crank starter motor issue

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Duc748
New
Drives: 2004 Polo 9n 1.2 12v

No crank starter motor issue

Post by Duc748 »

Re: 2004 Polo 1.2 12v.
Hi to all. Briefly, after not being able to start the vehicle breakdown services were called to be told starter motor was the problem. A new starter was fitted by myself with a known fully charged battery. On turning the key you hear the click & spinning of starter motor but no cranking of engine,previous issue. Its a though there is not enough power to engage flywheel ?
Thanks in advance for any help
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Re: No crank starter motor issue

Post by Johntheo1 »

The starter is/should be a pre engaged type where the starter solenoid pulls the pinion (and slowly rotates it) onto the flywheel, when its fully engaged then a set of contacts allows full current to spin the starter motor, not sure how the motor could spin without being fully engaged but maybe different method of starting now?.
NickCrid
New
Drives: 1.9tdi sport 2004

Post by NickCrid »

Hi
My 1.9tdi sport suddenly doesn’t start. I have changed starter motor but solenoid gets very hot and still does not start. Thinking of getting old starter repaired if this is the problem. Any advice?
NickCrid
New
Drives: 1.9tdi sport 2004

Post by NickCrid »

Hi. Does anybody know what could be cause? If Solenoid getting hot that would suggest enough power. Could it be faulty starter motor? Thanks