6r and 6c GTI Gear Stick Gaiter Identical?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

6r and 6c GTI Gear Stick Gaiter Identical?

Post by Gee40 »

Does anyone know if the gear stick gaiters on the above are identical.

The current plastic gaiter on my wife 2016 6c GTI is starting to look tatty and I want to replace it with a new leather item.

I've found one on ebay that states it fits all 6r Polos 2009-2013 and one on Amazon that states it fits all Polos 2009-2016. The easy option would be to buy the Amazon item, however it costs £15 more. Not a massive issue but I don't want to spend an extra £15 unnecessarily as the descriptions are virtually identical except for the compatibility discrepancy

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 6r and 6c GTI Gear Stick Gaiter Identical?

Post by RUM4MO »

Rotten luck if VW have been fitting these cars with plastic/leatherette gaitors, I bought a new soft leather gaitor to replace the "plastic" gaitor on my wife's 2002 VW Polo 1.4 SE - then discovered that the original one was also leather, but not very supply leather - oh well! I applied lots of "leather care products" and that softened it, but too late.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Re: 6r and 6c GTI Gear Stick Gaiter Identical?

Post by Gee40 »

Sadly its definitely plastic as the top layer has started to crack around the collar and reveal the fine mesh backing underneath. Its a really same as VW has not gone cheap on the steering wheel as the leather used on that is beautifully soft and would look out of place in a car costing 3 times as much. Just got to find out whether the gaiter remained unchanged when the car was facelifted from 6r to 6c. If so I could order the cheaper ebay item with confidence