New Suspension

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Maccers
New
Drives: Polo 1.4, Mini 1293, VFR800, VFR1200

New Suspension

Post by Maccers »

Hi All - we bought a 2010 1.4 Polo for my son, he passed his test recently. Been driving it a lot myself, great little car!! Being the petrol head I am I think it would look and handle much better with a slight lowering kit, not going too mad with neg camber etc, but just a slight drop. As luck would have it, wife noticed a slight "squeak" while going over road humps. So this is my excuse to replace the shocks on safety grounds etc.....

Question is, having never worked on/with VW (but have 30+ years history of messing with cars and bikes) any suggestions for a decent front and rear kit? Nitron who I know from bikes do a kit but I dont have many working body parts left to sell!!

Cheers :-)
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Re: New Suspension

Post by 2226 »

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/perform ... 71cf310440

Might be something in there for you.

H&R and Bilstein are biggest brands there.
The Bilstein should be the B8 monotube shocks for the front, I think.
Kinda of similar price but the H&R seems to get a lower stance.
Seems to be around 700GBP for a kit.

There's also coilover kits on there, but you're looking around the 900GBP mark for the Bilstein B16 set.

I'm 23:1 to the GBP with my currency. Those prices are 23 times more scary to me. Even the cost of a stock shock absorber makes me shiver a bit.

If you go ahead, fit new strut mounts, replace lower control arm bushes (there's a solid one, no voids).
There's also rear swaybar made by Whiteline in Australia. I'm sure they're available there somewhere.

PS: I don't own any of these suspension kits .. can't afford it .. so can't speak for their ride quality but Bilstein is on my wishlist.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Maccers wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:07 pm Hi All - we bought a 2010 1.4 Polo for my son, he passed his test recently. Been driving it a lot myself, great little car!! Being the petrol head I am I think it would look and handle much better with a slight lowering kit, not going too mad with neg camber etc, but just a slight drop. As luck would have it, wife noticed a slight "squeak" while going over road humps. So this is my excuse to replace the shocks on safety grounds etc.....

Question is, having never worked on/with VW (but have 30+ years history of messing with cars and bikes) any suggestions for a decent front and rear kit? Nitron who I know from bikes do a kit but I dont have many working body parts left to sell!!

Cheers :-)
It would be worth checking out the implications of modifying / lowering your son’s car with his insurance company before proceeding with your proposed suspension changes. With your son being (presumably) a young driver, I dare say his insurance premium is currently pretty high for a standard unmodified car. Modifications are likely to push the premium up further.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

i've "heard" that KYB dampers are a bit firmer than the rest, so if you want a bit tighter/ firmer option with normal price you have that option.
Maccers
New
Drives: Polo 1.4, Mini 1293, VFR800, VFR1200

Post by Maccers »

Thanks all. I guess I'll need "lowered" dampers too so they wont bottom out or standard VW ones will work?

I see there are some kits out there, dont want to go mad, just get it a bit lower.