Dashcam cable routing

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Dashcam cable routing

Post by OomStu_ZA »

breeza wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:54 am What is this thing that I found just hanging freely in the fuse box compartment? Looks like some kind of speaker.
I would say its the sound actuator (fake sound for cabin) but that is usually found between the dash and engine bay.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

breeza wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:54 am What is this thing that I found just hanging freely in the fuse box compartment? Looks like some kind of speaker.
IMG_0154.jpeg
If it’s a VW part it’ll have a part number stamped onto it. If you Google the part number, you should be able to find out what it is.
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Post by breeza »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:46 am
IMG_0154.jpeg
If it’s a VW part it’ll have a part number stamped onto it. If you Google the part number, you should be able to find out what it is.
Good call. Google says it's the parking sensor speaker. I wonder where it should actually be fixed to as I can't imagine it's supposed to be hanging loose.
Alex_p
New
Drives: R-Line 110 DSG 1.0 TSI 110 R-Line DSG

Post by Alex_p »

(Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but this seemed like the best place for the question...)

Does anyone have photos of where they've placed and how they've hardwired a rear dashcam?

I hard wired a front facing camera today ('23 R Line), but I'm struggling to find the right spot to mount the rear camera, largely because of a lack of places to hide the cable run at the top of the rear windscreen. On the Yaris I pulled it out of, there was plenty of plastic to tuck cabling behind.

I saw suggestions to mount the camera at the base of the windscreen (just above the wiper) but I can't figure out how and where I'd run the cable.
Discoboy
New
Drives: 2022 GTi

Post by Discoboy »

Hi Alex_p
I mounted mine with a custom bracket from eBay which locates between the roof-lining and the weather seal.
Wiring I ran down the RHS of the car in the join gap between the roof-lining edge and the upper front and rear doors weather seals.

tyjc93
New
Drives: Mk10

Post by tyjc93 »

I have a 72 R-Line.

Mines mounted on the rear window, at the corner the window trim becomes wider and so the cable goes into the trim, through the OEM wiring loom/seal and into the cabin where it runs along the trimming to the front.

I had it professionally installed my a local auto electrician who’s very good at what he does though. I’d not have attempted this myself. If you’re around West London/Surrey way I can highly recommend him. He also wired up my auxiliary battery.
Alex_p
New
Drives: R-Line 110 DSG 1.0 TSI 110 R-Line DSG

Post by Alex_p »

I'm finally getting around to installing my rear dash cam, but having trouble routing the cabling around the top of the b-pillar. Photo attached. I just can't get it tucked in between the plastic of the pillar and the roof lining.

Any tips at all? I don't want to leave it hanging like this. And I'm guessing having it hanging in front of the airbag like this would be problematic if the bag deployed.

Is it possible to easily unclip the pillar trim to get the cable properly in behind?

IMG_9171.jpeg
IMG_9171.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 904 times
RobJJW
New
Drives: GTI Plus

Post by RobJJW »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 pm Did you ever get around to fitting your dashcam monkey? Would be interested to find out how it's done for when the car eventually arrives.

With my current 2006 Golf TDI I have to unplug the dashcam after every trip. Would be keen to avoid this for the GTI.
Yep, all done and working correctly - front and rear cam set-up permanent hardwire, piggybacked off fuses, all trace of wiring hidden in the edges of seals/headlining/tailgate. About 2 hours work all in doing it blind (with differences between Golf and Polo unknown. Next go I reckon I could do it in 90 mins.

Was more fiddly on the Polo than our Golf R (which still has one fitted) or our old A1 that the Polo replaced (and whose dashcam the Polo inherited). Front is easy, getting from main body into tailgate is where it becomes frustratingly fiddly. I really need to get that guide done. I'll be fitting the Golf's dashcam into the 2nd Polo GTI we have on order.

How long until your delivery? Are you getting a front/back dual cam set-up or just front?
Hey Monkey, hope you dont mind me reserructing this! I've got a Thinkware F770 (front and Rear) that I'd like to hardwire. Would you mind sending me a link to the Fusetaps you used (I'm gonna copy your install :D )?

It'll be going into a 2018 Polo GTI +.

Thanks in advance
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RobJJW wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:32 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 pm
S_94 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 pm Did you ever get around to fitting your dashcam monkey? Would be interested to find out how it's done for when the car eventually arrives.

With my current 2006 Golf TDI I have to unplug the dashcam after every trip. Would be keen to avoid this for the GTI.
Yep, all done and working correctly - front and rear cam set-up permanent hardwire, piggybacked off fuses, all trace of wiring hidden in the edges of seals/headlining/tailgate. About 2 hours work all in doing it blind (with differences between Golf and Polo unknown. Next go I reckon I could do it in 90 mins.

Was more fiddly on the Polo than our Golf R (which still has one fitted) or our old A1 that the Polo replaced (and whose dashcam the Polo inherited). Front is easy, getting from main body into tailgate is where it becomes frustratingly fiddly. I really need to get that guide done. I'll be fitting the Golf's dashcam into the 2nd Polo GTI we have on order.

How long until your delivery? Are you getting a front/back dual cam set-up or just front?
Hey Monkey, hope you dont mind me reserructing this! I've got a Thinkware F770 (front and Rear) that I'd like to hardwire. Would you mind sending me a link to the Fusetaps you used (I'm gonna copy your install :D )?

It'll be going into a 2018 Polo GTI +.

Thanks in advance
You might not get a reply from forum member @monkeyhanger. He’s not been active on the forum for some months now (last logged on to the forum 11th June last year).
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

sorry to bust in on the post..

I used these piggybacks for my wiring up...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155366848295

Still a live auction.. If you don't like the bullet fitting you can use you own. These have been in use for some years now.