Strange but brief engine cut out after 10 minutes

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mcmikey
New
Drives: 2010 Polo 1.4

Strange but brief engine cut out after 10 minutes

Post by mcmikey »

Hi all
This is my first post - I’ve been scouring the internet for an answer and so far come up with nothing so I’m hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction…
My stepson has recently bought his first car - a 2010 1.4 petrol Polo. I’ve had the cam belt changed, changed the plugs and fitted new crank and camshaft sensors but still after around 10 minutes of driving the engine will cut out for a split second (you just see the rev counter drop to 0) then instantly fire up again and it’s fine for the rest of the journey. I’m thinking maybe it’s something to do with the thermostat opening. Any thoughts please?
Cheers
Mike
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Strange but brief engine cut out after 10 minutes

Post by RUM4MO »

This sounds a lot like being an intermittent loss of 12V at some point in the car, maybe not easy to locate.

The easiest starting point might be running a full scale of all the controller modules to see anything/any clues appear - but not a definite route to success right away, good luck.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

Ignition switch ? Known to fail on most vw’s this will probably not leave any codes in control units though
mcmikey
New
Drives: 2010 Polo 1.4

Post by mcmikey »

Yes it does sound like complete loss of 12V, although I’m pretty sure the speedometer doesn’t fail. I’ll have to check. The fact that it happens at the same time I thought might be a clue. Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll keep investigating…