Retrofitting OEM footwell lights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
durley
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.6 TDI

Retrofitting OEM footwell lights

Post by durley »

Hi all,

I previously had a 6R with OEM footwell lights and my new 6C GTI does not have them and I’d like to add them in. If I purchase the LEDs and cables online is it directly plug and play? Or do they need to be wired into BCM and coded. Would be first time doing this but happy to give it a go with the right instructions.

Thanks!
moeyrline
New
Drives: 2014 R-line

Re: Retrofitting OEM footwell lights

Post by moeyrline »

Hello mate, if you want to install footwell lights i highly suggest you hardwire them in yourself , it will make your car look much cleaner and no wires going into a ciggarette port etc.

I have did them my self on my 2014 r line.

This is what i used:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313595702321

Find a fuse on your polo (the big fuses) that runs only while ignition is on , and not when it is off. Then you just tap in with that provided and find a bolt that you can attach the ground wire to. I had to split my ground wire down the middle to make it fit around a big bolt exactly behind the light switches on the right hand side.

Once that is done , get a usb cigarette port adapter that fits onto the port that youve attached and see if it works with the car ignition on.

Once thats sorted just take off your radio with a t20 torx screw ( four screws) and tuck everything behind there and begin wiring your led strips to each side.

If you have any questions just let me know
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Some people wire them into the dome light so that they're controlled by the same switch.

Not very familiar with the wiring options on the 6C yet so not sure if they're controlled by BCM, but a hardwire to fuse box or dome light will work fine I think.

I did someone do some weird stuff wiring them in to get them to remain permanently on and remain dim when you have main beam on. I little bit much effort for an ambient effect. Did look cool though, but I'd rather not be admiring my footwell while driving. :lol:
Mikeso51
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT. Also Audi A3 1.4tfsi.

Post by Mikeso51 »

I added footwell lights to my wife’s 6C Blue GT using an excellent online guide from BHP. This described two methods, one using a link to the BCM, or an easier method using a connection to the dome light. I used the dome light connection. Easy enough to do, and didn’t involve any modifications the oem wiring.

This is the link:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-y ... ights.html

3 upgrades are detailed. The footwell light upgrade is the last one described.

HTH

Mike
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I like the team-bhp site, but trying to register is a nightmare. They ask which is your favourite car and only list Indian ones. I didn't meet the grade. :cry:
Mikeso51
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT. Also Audi A3 1.4tfsi.

Post by Mikeso51 »

Just to add to my previous message. I didn’t use modified incandescent lights as described in the article. I used led light units and wiring readily available at low cost from AliExpress.

Mike
Tinman
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.0 Litre R Line 110hp

Post by Tinman »

Hi, i have just recently starting doing some modification to my 2016 polo 6c r line and just so happen i did retrofit for footwell light yesterday 😎 I did it with the wiring kit for the four footwell led kit from aliexpress, i have cut the wire loom into two, as i only wanted front footwell light. I want the footwell light to be on when the car is running instead of the oem styles so i just splice the wire into the light swtich wire loom, blue and grey wire for the positive and brown for the ground. You could also ground the wire on the ground point above the steering column if you want to splice less wire. I did this way since i find it easily to do than removing the bcm and splice the wire going into the bcm.

Also you can get multi-colour led with remote to replace the giving led with the kit from aliexpress as they are too dim and not the right colour for me.
Last edited by Tinman on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

I really need to see if I can find those details for doing these footwell lights where they run dimmer when the headlamsp are on until the doors are open.
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

So I was a bit confused. The footwell light mod I had seen was for a 9N. Might or might not be able to be done on a 6R or 6C.

Here are links to posts, but not sure if anyone can get to them without registering and don't really want to copy someone's content directly:
https://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p2492925
https://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p2503708

The dimmer they used in that post is same as this item:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004117041692.htm

The circuit getting power off the 9N BCM:

Desired operation was:
1) Interior dome light ON + footwell lights ON, 100% brightness level with door central locking unlock
2) Interior dome light + footwell lights relay fade until OFF with doors closed
3) Keys in Ignition ON/ACC, ONLY footwell lights ON 20-30% brightness. Will be ALWAYS on as long as the engine runs or ACC ON.
4) Keys in Ignition ON/ACC + doors open, footwell lights ON increase to 100% brightness + interior dome light ON 100% brightness
5) Keys in Ignition ON/ACC + doors closed, footwell lights relay fade until 20-30% brightness + interior dome light OFF
6) Interior dome light OFF + footwell lights OFF with door central locking lock

The effect:

Actually pretty cool having it like that.