Polo GTI confused gearbox

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polo 2610
New
Drives: Polo gti

Re: Polo GTI confused gearbox

Post by Polo 2610 »

I have a new car, after how many miles does the car start to consume less petrol?
Polo 2610
New

Post by Polo 2610 »

For me in traffic it's 16.8 miles per gallon.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Polo 2610 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:35 am I have a new car, after how many miles does the car start to consume less petrol?
Polo 2610 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:47 am For me in traffic it's 16.8 miles per gallon.
That does sound quite poor - by ‘in traffic’ driving, do you mean when driving in urban areas such as towns and cities with lots of traffic and lots of stops? In my pre-facelift Polo GTI+, my car’s fuel consumption in town and city driving is usually around 33 miles per gallon and my overall long term average fuel consumption is around 43-44 miles per gallon.

Is your car’s GPF (gasoline particulate filter) going through a forced regeneration process? If it is, then the process uses additional fuel to help raise the temperature in the exhaust so accumulated particulate matter in the GPF can be neutralised, and that additional fuel usage may explain your low mpg figure. Do you drive mainly short journeys in towns and cities where the car’s engine may not be getting up to optimum operating temperature? If so, then you’re likely to experience more forced GPF regenerations than a driver whose driving mainly longer journeys outside of towns and cities with a fully warmed up engine.

Be aware that if a forced GPF regeneration is interrupted by turning off the engine before it’s finished, it’ll recommence the regeneration process at the next (and subsequent) ignition cycle(s) until the regeneration is able to complete. If this happens, then fuel consumption could be adversely impacted over several journeys.

In my pre-facelift GTI+, there are a number of tell tale signs when a forced GPF regeneration is in progress;
- a louder, deeper exhaust note
- a slight hesitancy of the engine when accelerating
- a ‘hot’ smell
- the engine cooling fan running
- stop start doesn’t activate
- a significant worsening in fuel consumption

In my car, the forced regeneration process takes around 30 minutes to complete, provided it’s not interrupted by switching the engine off.

Have a read through the discussion topic at the link below;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=73177
Polo 2610
New

Post by Polo 2610 »

When I start the car I always deactivate the start and stop because it is not good for the engine as it creates a thermal shock and the water no longer runs, the oil no longer runs and the pumps stop. The engine should gradually cool not only the engine but also the turbine because the oil that rotates in the turbine at a certain point stops circulating and especially when it is very hot the oil becomes carbonized and forms lumps and does not circulate more good. Furthermore, the starter motors also wear out more.
Polo 2610
New

Post by Polo 2610 »

Sorry but I have liters instead of gallons. This is the average for now. Let's say that the minimum I managed to do is 6.3 liters per 100 km but on the motorway
Attachments
Screenshot_20240503_183247_Volkswagen.jpg
Screenshot_20240503_183247_Volkswagen.jpg (273.63 KiB) Viewed 185 times