9N - Whats that beep?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
woter324
Getting There!

Post by woter324 »

sylonien wrote:Oh dear... is that just me then?! :shock:

I thought it was suppose to be normal.... :? It's not the fuel or anything else, 'cos there is fuel and no other lamps or indicators are visible on the dasboard.

Why does it beep? Don't you guys get it?
When you turn the ignition key, do you get a little spanner show up in the mileometre LCD?

Did it start happening a year after the car's last service? (petrol. Don't know what VW set the timmer to on Diesel)

If so it means you are due a service.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Nope nope nope.

Sometimes I have both front seatbelts on before I start the ignition, it still beeps.

Can't be service interval - 54Reg, got it almost 2months only and only drove it for 3200+miles in TOTAL so far.

First I really thought its a warning to tell the front people the seatbelt ain't on, but as said before, it beeps even when both front seatbelts are attached. Can't be the back ones as well, can it? that would just be stupid.

There's NO! display icons on the dashboard, just beeps 4-5 times after ignition and it goes away then.

I really wonder why. :?
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Take it to VW then and see if they can give you an answer. :roll:
sbp
Bronze Member

Post by sbp »

could be it is indeed from a warning light... you knever know a warning light is broken but the beep still goes..
shamus
New

Post by shamus »

If its a short single beep (and the service spanner is showing in the 'miles' part of the display) then it is the reminder beep for servicing. It can be reset quite easly (did mine today) as described in you VW handbook.

If its several beeps then its something else - and it may be serious - hence pop into a VW dealer and ask - they should have a quick look Free Of Charge.
woter324
Getting There!

Post by woter324 »

sylonien wrote:
There's NO! display icons on the dashboard, just beeps 4-5 times after ignition and it goes away then.

I really wonder why. :?
Is your clock in 12 or 24 hour? Assuming it's digital?

There is a setting for the US, that sets the clock to 12 hour. A side effect of this is that when the door is open with the key in the ignition, you get a ding, ding, ding... for about one minute.

Other than this, as the previous person said, take it to a dealer or at least plug it into VAG-COM and see if any fault codes come up.

Good luck.
rooboy
Silver Member

Post by rooboy »

As the Polo is not sold in the US I doubt it would have been set for US measures (12h clock, 3.7l per Gallon)
woter324
Getting There!

Post by woter324 »

rooboy wrote:As the Polo is not sold in the US I doubt it would have been set for US measures (12h clock, 3.7l per Gallon)
Mine is :D !

Must admit the beep is anoying. My Father had a Jeep cherokee with the same thing. He got the dealer to remove it.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Nope, not service, no warning or anthing. Jus beeps a few times after ignition.

But I guess I have to go down and check it out. :( Let you guys know when I know what the issue is.

But thanks ;)
CpuReaper
New

Please refer to my first post

Post by CpuReaper »

This beeping noise is normal you could insist that your dealer changes this cluster.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Hmm can be annoying, but I think I've got used to it now somehow.

I tried with both front seat belts on, and started it and it didn't beep, but then I tried it again, it beeped. REALLY random. :twisted:
CpuReaper
New

Beep noise Notice

Post by CpuReaper »

:D :D
After starting the engine the ABS warning light flashes shortly and a warning signal sounds 3 times.

Cause:
If the ignition is switched on and the engine is started after the warning lights go out.
During the ABS check and the engine start the power system drops below 9.1 V, which triggers off the warning light and the warning signal.

Note: The problem can avoided by starting the engine straight away.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Oh really? Interesting stuff there mate - thanks. I flicked through the manual numerous amount of time trying to find the reason for it.

Isn't that jus a stupid design then?