suspension stuff.

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
genesisGT
Bronze Member

suspension stuff.

Post by genesisGT »

I have a 1.0 squareback which desperately needs lowered, and I have narrowed the suspension choice down to three (two).

1. FK -40mm springs and shocks kit.
2. FK -40mm kit as above but with adjustable rear height (not coilovers).
3. new standard vw g40 items -25mm springs and shocks with assosiated bump stops etc.

which would you chose (if any)?

I also plan on fitting a GT rear axle while am there, to see if it helps the cornering as it is a very tail happy car in corners, especially above 60 mph.
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

3 is a sensible one. They'd all look good, but 2 is definately more practical if you carry friends around too? Think practically over asthetically and performance(ly) about suspension. What do you use your car for, and what comes first... ?
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

i went with Gmax sports shocks, went down 60/40 on my hatchy. Works a treat with no scrubbage
genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

Overmind- 60/40 would be nice! Im happy with the back arch it sits nice, its just the front arch has a big gap which is about 40mm which a would like to get rid off! what size are your wheels and tyres. i am running 14"s with 166x60 tyres. But a had to roll the back arches as a got scrubbage on one side.

DelGt - The car is only used as my every day car and as a big toy and rarely has more than 2 people in it. I think no2 but no3 would keep every thing vw. Anyone know how good standard g40 stuff is?
peteg40
New

Post by peteg40 »

new g40 shocks from vw are approx £300 per leg and you have to buy the whole hub etc...
genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

new g40 shocks from vw are approx £300 per leg and you have to buy the whole hub etc...
O dear! I was only hoping to buy the springs, shocks, bumpstops, and the other wee bit (forgot what its called) which is different on the g40 from all other models only, not the whole unit ! £300 a leg is far to steep for me! :shock: As I am scottish! :lol:

Was that info from vw?

I will still ask martin at vag parts, as a have the part numbers for the bits I am after, to see if he can get them individually? (worth a try)

I am not changing the suspension arm or anti roll bar brakets to be true g40 as a dont have the cash just looking for good uprated springs and shocks to improve my polo.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

I would go for number 2
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

I have number 2, also on a squareback. And it sits lower than the 40mm drop it suggests. Pleased with it though. The FK springs and shocks kit comes with rear platform height-adjust anyway, though I've yet to bother tinkering with the rear height.
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

i run 175/65 on 5.5j et38 but i would recommend a lower profile like 60 or 55 to be on the safe side and prob a lower offset like 45
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

I run 165/65 R13 on an ET33 13"x6" rim. Even with rolled rear arches I get scrubbage with people in the back. It catches the rims, not the actual tyre!
genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

Cheers guys.

I am wanting number 2 but I am still waiting on pitstop developments getting back to us on availability and price.

Failing that I will get no 1!

amstrange1 - Cheers mate Im the guy who emailed you about this a month or so ago, so its your suspension and advice i am basing my purchase on!!! Havent done the Gt conversion yet or removed the wiring loom, cheapest insurance quote will all mods declared is £1500 over twice what im paying just now - mad! So I am willing to wait (b*******s!)

Overmind - thanks, still think 60/40 looks evil! are your wheels 14s or 13s?

Now a have picked the kit its just what drop to chose 60/40 or 40/40 mmmmm!
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

yea mine are 13's, 60/40 is by far the best of all worlds. Careful on going fully loaded or braking hard though, as funny noises occur
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

I went for the FK 40/40, mainly because of the rear height adjust allowing me to level out the way the car sits. 60/40 is too low for me, the roads my way are too bumpy!

I know someone who had the 60/40 kit, and his car sat very low:

genesisGT
Bronze Member

Post by genesisGT »

Kool!

Since my wheels are 14" with 3mm spacers up front (to allow the G40 brakes to fit) I think a will play it safe and go 40/40 drop (overmind stop booing!!!!)
As my car usually gets filled with crap when my family are sending stuff to the dump, also I do some hard braking, so a dont want to hear funny noises! - just got rid of them as my tyre used to scrub the arch before it got rolled and thats with thin 165/60 x 14 tyres.

Still try to get the kit with rear hight adjustment though. With a 40 drop spring.

my mate has a 40 drop gmax kit on his polo it sits very nice but with the golf spoiler up front you can only fit four fingers (still talking cars) between it and the ground - looks lovely, but limits where he can go. As it is, in one of the multi story carparks in Glasgow my golf spoiler hits the deck depending on my speed. (nasty noise).
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

sounds good. I am fortunate though, bent my drivers side TCA and anti roll bar the other day, luckily cos the top mount and the lower strut are 60mm closer to each other it put less leverage on the tca at the time of impact