New

The oil cooler is fitted!!!

Post by gtjoe »

the oil cooler mounted next 2 the rad (bottom left of bumber):

And the mesh mounted to protect it:

Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

That looks pretty cool, where did you get it?

And does it make a big difference??

James.
gtjoe
New

Post by gtjoe »

i got it off a m8 that had it for his mk 2 golf race car, but neva fitted it so i bought it.

U can cane the engine for ages, and it neva ova heats, i was well impressed. definately recommend every gt owner 2 get 1.
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

The one on Yoof's GT helps. It really needs new tappets as it used to get quite tappety after a motorway thrash. Now you can sit at 6k rpm or more for well over 30 mins and it's okay. Tested it out today, but don't tell him... :wink:
Gray6634
New

Post by Gray6634 »

hi what i want to know is where do you run the two hose feeds to on the engine, do i take it you dont have to have two holes machined into the block to accept the hoses. that would be alot of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Theres a sandwich plate that sits between the block an oil filter with take off points allowing the oil to flow through.
Gray6634
New

Post by Gray6634 »

cool i might have to invest where can i get one and is it worht it on a 1.3 spi?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

The exact one he's got costs £122 delivered from www.rallydesign.co.uk That includes all the bits needed. I guess you could say Ive jumped on the "lets all buy oil-coolers" bandwagen. :roll: And no, its probably not worth it on a 1.3 spi.
gtjoe
New

Post by gtjoe »

i think all gt owners must get an oil cooler. went on a trip to norwich 2day, i noticed a massive difference 2 the engine temp. it stayed at operatin temp all the way there and bac, usually it gets quite a bit hotter, and i was bootin it for all it was worth.

yeh, there is a sandwich plate between the block and filter, wit the connections.

I think every body wit a gt should get 1!!! well worth it.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Is that a thermostatted one Gareth ? I've been keeping my eye out for a rad on ebay, then buy the plate and pipes after.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

yep, and with the braided hoses too.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

the plate and pipes were about £80 on their own! but the rubber ones would have been cheaper.
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

An oil cooler can be used on any engine, it really depends on how hard you want to push it.

.... thats why I dont do more than 90 in my 1L mk2 as the oil overheated, which then caused the cam belt cover to destort, which then caused a bolt to become loose and fall out and then caused 2 rips in a cambelt...

..... but I was doing 5500rpm on the hottest day of the year for over an hour.

yet again I'll buck current trends and rather than fit something thats only likely to be of use once or twice a year for me, I'll just drive slower.

the other thing about oil coolers is that when you change the oil, you either get the old oil in the cooler mixing with the new oil, or you have to disconnect/reconnect the pipes to drain them.

Gareth, you may find that the oil cooler is of benefit to you because of your bigger engine......

... like the mk3 triumph spitfire engine is 1300cc and is the best one they made, but the 1500cc is one thats basically the same but with longer stroke, but they are know to overheat the oil id driven hard, but the 1300cc engines dont have any problems.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Yeah and with me running 50% over standard power for this block I think I can just about justify it... :D
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

You can justify one on a standard GT.... They run quite hot, and the fact you need to keep the revs up to maintain a resonable speed makes the oil hot. It will prolong the life of your engine and seals etc.