coupe S numbers?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
cappuccinocruiser
New

coupe S numbers?

Post by cappuccinocruiser »

So how rare are thos Coupe S's then?, I never see many about these days....

Guessing it was the top o the line one?
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

In the UK, yeah top of the range.

The continent got a 75bhp GT model as well as the Coupe S (also badged GT over there) plus a really limited run of GT G40s with a slightly different version of the G40 engine under the bonnet.

I don't think they're particularly rare, though finding good ones is getting hard these days I'd imagine since they've never been as cult a car as say a Golf GTi, and haven't necessarily been cared for as well.

On the flip side though, based on my experiences of the second hand VW market years ago this was the other way around. Looked at plenty of thrashed and abused Golfs, but Polos tend to have been family owned. Mine hadn't been really well cared for or anything (like as in the previous owner wasn't a fussy sod like me - hadn't seen polish in a while) but it hadn't been abused and had been regularly serviced and cared for mechanically.

So all in all not a rare car, but getting rarer due to scabby examples.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

There's a nice one gets parked on a road in Edgbaston near the hospital quite often, well-tended flame red. If only it had the centre caps on the wheels it'd be pretty much original.

So that's at least one still alive in good nick :D

Problem with the UK ones is that, thanks to the lack of anywhere to put a servo (aka sheer laziness in design!), VW never dared offer it with anything more than a 55bhp engine to prevent it being over-powered for the braking effort most drivers could sustain.... well, nothing officially over 55bhp anyway (*looks at NZ owners*)...

hence it wasn't what you could call super quick (about as fast as a second wave Smart) and can't be expected to have attracted much sporty driver attention, more those who liked the style and didn't care for performance.

One with 75 horse and a servo under the hood would have shifted quite nicely though.