Miles to a tank

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

20 miles tops for me with the light on. I have to be worried considering my guage sits on the red line and doesn't move once the light has come on. Petrol guage is absolute crap in my car, it is so sensitive
womble68
Bronze Member

Post by womble68 »

I recently did about 35 miles on the red light. To be hones they're usually set to give you about 50 miles with the red light on. Agree should be able to get about 280-310 miles, maybe a bit more if you're lucky. Town driving only knocks it down to about 30MPG, which is good, and as said higher is possible with motorway driving, its brilliant considering you can be hammering along with decent enough MPG.
rabbit82
New

Post by rabbit82 »

yeh i get about 260 is to the tank. Not as good as i expected, my subaru cost the same to fill up and used to do 220 to a tank with a semi hard right foot.
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

rabbit82 wrote:yeh i get about 260 is to the tank. Not as good as i expected, my subaru cost the same to fill up and used to do 220 to a tank with a semi hard right foot.
Shouldn't your Subaru of had a much bigger tank?
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

Worst I've had out of mine has been 240, the best I've managed was around 340, that was very sensible driving doing about 60-70 whole way. On average with town traffic, you're looking at 250/260, throw in long journeys and you're on 300ish. Which at 45 quid a tank is a bit ridiculous though at the moment.
mwarner87
Silver Member

Post by mwarner87 »

i normally get around 300+ in mine, dont like driving with the light on though, dont know how much further i can go!!

but my light does seem to come on really early. it stays at full for 50-60 miles before it moves, but then after half the gauge goes down really quickly
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

mwarner87 wrote:it stays at full for 50-60 miles before it moves, but then after half the gauge goes down really quickly
yeh i get all that too
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

I get 35 mpg on average, mostly motorway driving, but the GTi revs pretty high at motorway speeds
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

The WORST ive had is 350 miles per tank, i normally get average around 375 but my best was 425! i commute 35 miles each way to and from work. i can leave home with the light on, go to work and then another couple of miles after to the petrol station, so i guess about 35-40 miles once the light comes on. I usually fill with 40-42 litres and i think the tank holds about 45 litres, so even when the gage says almost completly empty you could still have 2 or 3 litres left which could take you a few more miles if you were desperate! (I am old though compared to most of you guys at 28). I do drive to the speed limits and dont abuse my car as i rely on it, and my liscence for my income which supports my family, and the differance between cruising at 60 or 70 will only save me maybe 5 or 6 minutes on my journey dut can reduce mpg in a big way. my current average mpg is 42.6. (i always use v-max or tesco premium as the higher octane fuels give me around 20-30 more miles per tank, and are better for the engine, plus i use vouchers and collect points so it works out the same ish price as the usual pish unleaded).
Mouse_GTI

Post by Mouse_GTI »

That's very good MPG. To get my highest of almost 47MPG, I had a tank of V-Power and did around 300 miles (not to a tank) of motorway miles at a constant 55-60mph
Rupy
Bronze Member

Post by Rupy »

I avg around 280 miles on a tank...I'm sure i can get more but I have to be in the right mood for a few days to achieve a higher number as now and again i put my foot down a bit
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

filled up yesterday; 44 litres of v-max and i had covered 392 miles since the last tank full (recon i could have got 400 if i had kept going though :wink: )
N3_OLP
New

Post by N3_OLP »

nogwuy wrote:filled up yesterday; 44 litres of v-max and i had covered 392 miles since the last tank full (recon i could have got 400 if i had kept going though :wink: )
That is crazy! I have had my GTi for around 2 months now and filled up a quite a few time. The least i have had 220miles and thes best is 250miles. I would hate to see what that is to the gallon,lol! How does every1 get so many miles to a tank,lol!
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

N3_OLP wrote:
nogwuy wrote:filled up yesterday; 44 litres of v-max and i had covered 392 miles since the last tank full (recon i could have got 400 if i had kept going though :wink: )
That is crazy! I have had my GTi for around 2 months now and filled up a quite a few time. The least i have had 220miles and thes best is 250miles. I would hate to see what that is to the gallon,lol! How does every1 get so many miles to a tank,lol!
well, the secret is a finely ballenced equasion that goes something like:

mpg = age vs testoserone / weight of feet :lol:
andyg
Silver Member

Post by andyg »

To achieve 40mpg in the GTi like nogwuy you have to be doing motorway trips like he does, its got nothing to do with age. You also have to be keeping the speed around 60 mph. Achieving 40mpg around town or while making short trips is impossible.

However driving the GTi for fuel economy is totally pointless. It's a sporty car made for winding country roads, its not made for motorway cruising, which is why its noisy and revving at 4k when going a touch over 80.