H&R Springs (urgent)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ben@dubstarz
New

Re: H&R Springs (urgent)

Post by Ben@dubstarz »

Got to agree here with people throwing silly figures around for fitting springs.

Have some of you actually ever fitted your own suspension / coilovers or springs etc...? It's not an easy job, even with a nice 4 post lift and all the hydraulic tools you can shake a stick at, it's still a fiddly, awkward job.

I know as I have fitted all my suspension components myself on my driveway using some pretty top notch kit on about 10/11 of my own cars and friends cars. Even with the right kit it's not an easy job and I don't blame a garage for charging £100 plus for doing it, as that's what I'd want minimum if I had to do it as a business.

Think some people forget garages have overhead costs, rent, electricity bills etc to pay. They simply can't do it for nothing if they're a respectable garage, I wouldn't want to take £50 off someone to fit their springs, as I know I'd have to try and cut corners to make it pay if I was doing it for a living and that simply wouldn't be how I'd want to run a business.

Granted some garages probably appreciate the business and can do it on the cheap, or if you're buying the springs / parts from them they can make money on the parts and charge less for labour. But for fitment only with no supply, I think £100 or thereabouts is a very good price.

Just my opinion and I am sure some will agree with me, and others won't. But I speak from experience, I'm not the kind of guy who lets other do work on my cars, I actually get my hands dirty and do it myself, mainly because I know if anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame but also because I only trust myself to do stuff on my car as I'll do it right.

Ben
rover220
Gold Member

Re: H&R Springs (urgent)

Post by rover220 »

Ben@dubstarz wrote:Got to agree here with people throwing silly figures around for fitting springs.

Have some of you actually ever fitted your own suspension / coilovers or springs etc...? It's not an easy job, even with a nice 4 post lift and all the hydraulic tools you can shake a stick at, it's still a fiddly, awkward job.

I know as I have fitted all my suspension components myself on my driveway using some pretty top notch kit on about 10/11 of my own cars and friends cars. Even with the right kit it's not an easy job and I don't blame a garage for charging £100 plus for doing it, as that's what I'd want minimum if I had to do it as a business.

Think some people forget garages have overhead costs, rent, electricity bills etc to pay. They simply can't do it for nothing if they're a respectable garage, I wouldn't want to take £50 off someone to fit their springs, as I know I'd have to try and cut corners to make it pay if I was doing it for a living and that simply wouldn't be how I'd want to run a business.

Granted some garages probably appreciate the business and can do it on the cheap, or if you're buying the springs / parts from them they can make money on the parts and charge less for labour. But for fitment only with no supply, I think £100 or thereabouts is a very good price.

Just my opinion and I am sure some will agree with me, and others won't. But I speak from experience, I'm not the kind of guy who lets other do work on my cars, I actually get my hands dirty and do it myself, mainly because I know if anything goes wrong I only have myself to blame but also because I only trust myself to do stuff on my car as I'll do it right.

Ben
precisely