GTi Tyres (again)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JoeMarano
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti 6C

Re: GTi Tyres (again)

Post by JoeMarano »

What pressures are you all running at? For the road I run 39/35 and about 34/30 for track.
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

JoeMarano wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 pm What pressures are you all running at? For the road I run 39/35 and about 34/30 for track.
I run the low load OEM settings on mine as its really only ever me in it :-)
JoeMarano
Bronze Member

Post by JoeMarano »

Yeah that's what I run. Weird. I like these Potenzas reference the Golf owners are they using the RE050 Potenza or the S001?
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

S001's I think mate
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

pipsyp wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 pm S001's I think mate
Yes, I think the Bridgestones that are fitted to performance Golfs in the factory are S001's.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

JoeMarano wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm Yeah that's what I run. Weird. I like these Potenzas reference the Golf owners are they using the RE050 Potenza or the S001?
Evening Joe - just catching back up with this thread. I think your use of the S001's at high speed and in corners makes the most of their rigid walls but most of us don't drive round corners at the pace you do (though I do still like their directness when cornering a little more enthusiastically).

For me I guess it is just a bit of frustration that one of the possibilities of a hot hatch that is most likely to be used in normal road driving, a quick getaway if needed, is not really available as the tyres let go far too soon. I never thrash my car from a standstill but even then it is touch and go whether I can get the car moving quickly
JoeMarano
Bronze Member

Post by JoeMarano »

This thread has increased relevance as im after a new set for tomorrows track evening at Bedford and looks like I can't get potenza 😥

Might be CS3 we shall see. Whatever I get i'll report back.
JoeMarano
Bronze Member

Post by JoeMarano »

Booked in for Hankook lol

Will report back
JoeMarano
Bronze Member

Post by JoeMarano »

So silly bugger here called up Bury....near Manchester not Bury St Edmunds LOL

However a local company has sorted me out with some more S001's so I won't report back as you already know I like them haha
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

JoeMarano wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am So silly bugger here called up Bury....near Manchester not Bury St Edmunds LOL
:lol:
JoeMarano
Bronze Member

Post by JoeMarano »

Got sorted in the end. Went for another set of Potenza although they really struggled as it was so hot at Bedford!

At 8pm it was showing something like 22.5 degrees which for the UK is hot for May!

I let them down 5psi but I think more may have been needed!

Regarding their performance I still can't fault them as a road tyre but for track they just aren't enough so I think i'll be going semi slicks track tyres in future as it will probably save money in the long run and give much more grip in dry conditions.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

JoeMarano wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:46 pm Got sorted in the end. Went for another set of Potenza although they really struggled as it was so hot at Bedford!

At 8pm it was showing something like 22.5 degrees which for the UK is hot for May!

I let them down 5psi but I think more may have been needed!

Regarding their performance I still can't fault them as a road tyre but for track they just aren't enough so I think i'll be going semi slicks track tyres in future as it will probably save money in the long run and give much more grip in dry conditions.
Fair shout Joe. Perhaps bear the Hankooks in mind for next time.

Something I can vouch for now too......hit a fecking massive pothole in it the other day...fortunately going slow enough for it not to feel too bad or knacker the tracking but was expecting alloy damage.....nothing but a smudge of rubber on the rim so the rim protector function works great!
F18STE
New
Drives: 2017 polo gti

Post by F18STE »

I changed my bridgestones for Yokohama ad08r after about 1,200 miles only had the car 2-3 months. Completely transformed the way it drives/handles the grip is unbelievable
xeus2eme
New
Drives: Polo 6r Blue GT, DSG

Post by xeus2eme »

Mines are MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2

God damn awesome tyres...