Manual GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Manual GTI

Post by Dark_cze »

Collecting mine tommorrow :-)
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

grudgey wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm Collecting mine tommorrow :-)
Best colour (in my opinion). Of course I would say that.....!

Enjoy your car. It looks fabulous.

I can say with some experience that you will smile with every mile.

Best wishes.
Thank you very much :-) I sure will not sleep today :-D
erxrx
New
Drives: Golf mk4/mk10 polo on the way

Post by erxrx »

Dark_cze wrote:Collecting mine tommorrow :-)
Am I right in thinking you ordered a manual gearbox variant? If so - how is it? Genuinely curious to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

You are right, I have GTI with manual and it is awesome :) Iam still under 1000km so Iam not reving it high but enjoing every minute :) I just really like that connection. I missed that connection with car while trying DSG. Feels sharp, precisely and any delay is only my fault. Path from one gear to other feels a bit short but I was used to drive audis and clio mk2 so it might be just my feeling. Also top speed is 240 insted 236 for DSG and weight is a bit lower 1320 vs 1350 :) Actualy alkis-cze was first. I got mine few days after him :)
Attachments
20181220_132831.jpg
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Lucky for you that you've got roads to do 240 KPH, try it over here, you'd soon be on your push bike :shock:
Alkis-cze
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Alkis-cze »

It's luxurious, Dark cze is right.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm You are right, I have GTI with manual and it is awesome :) Iam still under 1000km so Iam not reving it high but enjoing every minute :) I just really like that connection. I missed that connection with car while trying DSG. Feels sharp, precisely and any delay is only my fault. Path from one gear to other feels a bit short but I was used to drive audis and clio mk2 so it might be just my feeling. Also top speed is 240 insted 236 for DSG and weight is a bit lower 1320 vs 1350 :) Actualy alkis-cze was first. I got mine few days after him :)
I'm still torn about a few things regarding our second GTI+ ordered. Seeing the Black GTI suiting the velvet red dash inserts (They suit my Flash Red GTI+, even though I was doubtful I'd like them before the car arrived). The wife's got a Pure White GTI+ on the way, with deep iron dash inserts. Seeing the deep iron inserts and the velvet red ones in the last few pics - I think I prefer the boldness of the red against a contrast coloured car like black or white. Still tempted to change to manual if the UK configurator allows it soon enough to change my order, but that gear knob would have to be swapped out.

I would not bother about the extra 4kmph top speed or weight saving of the manual box - both are negligible.

I do wonder what VW UK are waiting for in allowing the manual box to be specced.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

In my opinion red dash woudn't fit white car but it fit black very nicely. I was a sceptical about that shift knob but it fits perfectly into my hand and leather is pleasant to touch so I will keep it for now or maybe switch for knob from audi after few years. :)
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

Dark_cze wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm You are right, I have GTI with manual and it is awesome :) Iam still under 1000km so Iam not reving it high but enjoing every minute :) I just really like that connection. I missed that connection with car while trying DSG. Feels sharp, precisely and any delay is only my fault. Path from one gear to other feels a bit short but I was used to drive audis and clio mk2 so it might be just my feeling. Also top speed is 240 insted 236 for DSG and weight is a bit lower 1320 vs 1350 :) Actualy alkis-cze was first. I got mine few days after him :)
What are the gear ratios like?

The reviews for the new A1 say the manual box has bad ratios only designed for WLTP, like 2nd gear goes to 50mph+
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

richl123 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm

The reviews for the new A1 say the manual box has bad ratios only designed for WLTP, like 2nd gear goes to 50mph+
I think they are shorter but my gti have around 1800km and I never got higher than 3500rpm but here is some I remember from head:
(sorry they are in km/h)
30km/h in 2nd gear is between 2000 and 2400rpm
50km/h in 3rd gear is 2000rpm
90km/h in 5th gear is 2400rpm or 1900rpm in 6th gear
130km/h in 6th gear is 2800rpm

also my spedometer lie and show around 2km/h higher than in should in 50 and around +6-7km/h in 130
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

grudgey wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 pm I can assure you the red inserts provide a vivid contrast on a pure white car. Remember that there are no white areas inside the car as such so the red is actually contrasting next to a dark dash.

I love my Pure White with red accents...GTi badges, front line into lights, dash inserts, seat stitching, gear gaiter and steering wheel stitching.

Whats wrong with Red and White....lol
nothing is wrong with red and white I just dont like it :) a like my white polo, i like all that parts that are black on outside of car and I love black interier yet that masive red trim piece just don't feel righ to me :)
Attachments
20181220_132831.jpg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 pm
richl123 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm

I think they are shorter but my gti have around 1800km and I never got higher than 3500rpm but here is some I remember from head:
(sorry they are in km/h)
30km/h in 2nd gear is between 2000 and 2400rpm
50km/h in 3rd gear is 2000rpm
90km/h in 5th gear is 2400rpm or 1900rpm in 6th gear
130km/h in 6th gear is 2800rpm

also my spedometer lie and show around 2km/h higher than in should in 50 and around +6-7km/h in 130
Your gears seem lower than the DSG GTI. I can't remember all of the gears, but I distinctly remember 6th gear at 80mph is 2400 revs, barely higher than my old Golf GTD. Yours is 2800 revs in 6th at 130kmph (which is 80.74mph). That's quite a difference. I suspect because of that, the DSG will be quite a bit better on fuel for high speed cruising, but on the assumption that gears 1-5 are correspondingly lower on the manual also The manual may be better in urban situations as the gearing may suit 30-50mph driving better. For the reason of lower gearing, my manual Golf R is as frugal as the DSG Polo GTI in Urban driving but 30% worse on fuel economy doing 80 in 6th (3100rpm).

If the manual Polo GTI has lower gearing all round then I'd expect it to have slightly better 0-62mph (0-100kmph) times unless the DSG has a slightly higher torque value to compensate for the higher gearing (doubtful).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:48 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 pm In my opinion red dash woudn't fit white car but it fit black very nicely. I was a sceptical about that shift knob but it fits perfectly into my hand and leather is pleasant to touch so I will keep it for now or maybe switch for knob from audi after few years. :)
I can assure you the red inserts provide a vivid contrast on a pure white car. Remember that there are no white areas inside the car as such so the red is actually contrasting next to a dark dash.

I love my Pure White with red accents...GTi badges, front line into lights, dash inserts, seat stitching, gear gaiter and steering wheel stitching.

Whats wrong with Red and White....lol
That was my thinking - the flash red exterior paint is largely unseen against the dash on my current GTI+, so I'd expect the same visual impact on the dash in a white car too.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 pm Your gears seem lower than the DSG GTI. I can't remember all of the gears, but I distinctly remember 6th gear at 80mph is 2400 revs, barely higher than my old Golf GTD. Yours is 2800 revs in 6th at 130kmph (which is 80.74mph). That's quite a difference. I suspect because of that, the DSG will be quite a bit better on fuel for high speed cruising, but on the assumption that gears 1-5 are correspondingly lower on the manual also The manual may be better in urban situations as the gearing may suit 30-50mph driving better. For the reason of lower gearing, my manual Golf R is as frugal as the DSG Polo GTI in Urban driving but 30% worse on fuel economy doing 80 in 6th (3100rpm).

If the manual Polo GTI has lower gearing all round then I'd expect it to have slightly better 0-62mph (0-100kmph) times unless the DSG has a slightly higher torque value to compensate for the higher gearing (doubtful).
I dont expect to do 6,7s like dsg ... I don't have that fast hands :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ I suspect a manual can get to 62mph faster than a DSG can if the DSG is not using launch control. The way the DSG feathers in the changes (presumably for longevity/self preservation) means that you don't get full power access the instant the change is made. I'm assuming that launch control bypasses the feathering in, whuch will be brutal on ths box if instant change puts 100% of throttle input straight in to the gear.

For that reason, I was never impressed with the Golf R DSG's claimed 0-62mph time 0.2s shorter than manual (but in reality a little longer without launch control and with gear change feathering in).