Dodgy Brakes

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Dodgy Brakes

Post by Andy Beats »

I got £80 for the nearly new 2 x front Falkens off my Polo.
I only changed the fronts.
Dunno what your miles are, but you might get something for them towards new ones.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:38 am
Leif wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm FWIW I can feel the ABS cut in for all but gentle braking
That's not right, have you reported it?
I've only had the ABS cut in when the stupid anti-collision stuff decides I need a warning application of the brakes.
Never had it come on in normal driving, even in tricky conditions.
It's fine. I only do non gentle braking when I need to stop quickly. Tyres are fine, standard Goodyear EfficientGrip. In any case, with tyres the issue is not so much straight ahead braking, but transverse grip and ABS won't help you with that. In terms of simply stopping, most tyres are fine, generally people have issues because they are driving too close to the vehicle in front, or they are not aware of hazards.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 pm
Andy Beats wrote:I wonder what tyres you're both running?
There's only two things can make ABS cut in early.

1/ Poor tyre grip
2/ It's not working correctly.

I came off the standard tyres (Falken in my case) after only 70 miles and switched to Michelin Crossclimate.
Maybe this is why I've not noticed, my tyres are gripping better.
Personally, I've found the falken tyres terrible! Slightest patch of damp and there is no grip at all!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I have past experience of scheisse tyres:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOj-ue1KIpU

Apologies for the swearing. That was the second skid on nearly new Kumho KH27 tyres on a VW Up, and I would have lost the rear end had I not steered out of the skid. Straight line braking was fine, transverse grip was appalling. It is possible they had batch variation or outsourced to a scheisse factory. I now only buy decent tyres, Michelin Cross Climate (or one of the just as good competitors) will be the next set. Sadly the current ones still have 4mm on the front after 20,000 miles. Grrrrr. :mrgreen:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 pm Sadly the current ones still have 4mm on the front after 20,000 miles. Grrrrr. :mrgreen:
Nothing a good burnout won't fix.
20000 miles is end of life for fronts away where I live (constant twist/turns, no motorways).
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 pm
Leif wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 pm Sadly the current ones still have 4mm on the front after 20,000 miles. Grrrrr. :mrgreen:
Nothing a good burnout won't fix.
20000 miles is end of life for fronts away where I live (constant twist/turns, no motorways).
I avoid motorways, prefer curvy B roads. Brakes are still at 80% after 20,000 miles. Nah, I won't do a 'burn out' whatever that is.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Leif wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm Nah, I won't do a 'burn out' whatever that is.
A burnout.
Where 'one' sits still and smoke the tyres.
I used to do it back in the day when I had company cars and the tyres were included in the lease deal.
It used to annoy me that they wouldn't replace them until they were right on the legal limit of 1.6mm, so I'd force the issue by doing a burnout.
"There, they definitely need changing now..."