My thoughts on the DSG and the driver profiles

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: My thoughts on the DSG and the driver profiles

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:22 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:53 pm I would also have preferred if they'd made the +/- the other way around, I would have liked up-changes to be back on the stick and down changes to be forward.
We've both been watching too many rally videos with sequential boxes... :lol:
I gave manual a go again to drive home tonight. Using right paddle for upshifts and pulling back on the lever for downshifts seemed far more intuitive than using the stick exclusively for ups and downs.
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 amWhen you start the car up it seems random which driving profile it chooses. Sometimes it starts up in sport and sometimes in normal, individual or eco. Even in normal mode the gearbox can be on sport when you start up the car.
This is the part that i find strange. Sport mode sounds like it's working as it should.
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:58 pm My only complaint with it is not switching over to full manual mode while using the paddles. If you drop a few cogs with the paddles and then floor it in 3rd you've selected, I don't expect the car to think " actually, I think you wanted 2nd, right at the top of the rev range" - No, I didn't!!! Oh and deciding to cut in the stop-start before you come to a complete stop.
Never used paddles, but the start-stop never bothered me on a DSG until i used one for a while when my Octavia was getting a new gearbox due to failure under mechanical warranty. Hated how it would stop as I approached an intersection only to almost stop as traffic was moving and then having to wait for the engine restart. At least in a manual you can control it so it won't do that without having to turn it off completely.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 am Not sure about current DSG, but I'm sure this is how sport mode worked in my 2005 Audi A3.
Sport mode would hold the car in a gear at higher revs, other modes would change up a gear.
It makes sense as you've told it you want to be sporty and dragging along at low revs/high gear isn't sporty..... :?:
I found sport mode too revvy and fussy for town driving.
My old A4 with 2,5tdi and tiptronic was same as you describe ... worst part was that normal would be driving in town in 4th gear and sport is 2nd ... 3th gear was useless as hell :D
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:20 am To get the throttle response of Sport, without the "S" gear change thresholds which hold high revs, I put my GTI+ into Sport mode and then pull back on the gear lever against the spring, which puts the gear change thresholds back to normal, denoting "D" e.g. D1, D2, D3 etc. instead of S1, S2, S3. If you want to be back in S mode then pull back on the gear lever again (but I wouldn't).

Your car should remember you're in Sport mode next time you turn it on, but should be keeping the change thresholds in "D", unless you change your driving mode out of and back into Sport during the journey - then the gearbox will revert to "S" changes.

Similarly, if you've been using the paddles in manual mode, and want to revert back to D from M quicker than the car will (it seems to be a 20 second wait), you can pull back on the gear lever again.
Hi Monkeyhanger. So no matter what driving profile you're in you're able to change the gear settings by pulling the DSG shift in auto towards yourself? Cause sometimes I would like it to be in D mode and then be able to change into sports gearing without changing profile and visa verse?
Sports mode with S gearing just feels so terrible for city driving :/
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Yes you can. I never stay in "S" mode for gear changes, "D" reacts every bit as quick with your foot down and will rev the full range to upchange if you've put your foot down. Just pull gear lever back towards you (it's sprung, so will return to same resting position).

I believe that the car has to be in Sports mode for you to be able to select "S" - I don't know for sure as I'm never out of Sport mode on driver selection.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

I only noticed yesterday while tinkering that Eco mode shows E before the gear number rather than D or S......Interestingly it reset to D even though it was in Eco mode still after turning off and back on again.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

MilgeS wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm I only noticed yesterday while tinkering that Eco mode shows E before the gear number rather than D or S......Interestingly it reset to D even though it was in Eco mode still after turning off and back on again.
My start sequence. Push button to start car, allow it a few seconds to settle, press driver select mode and select Eco, push Auto stop start disable. Plug in Ipone and select my tunes. In Eco if in need sport for a few moments I simply pull back on the gear knob and it gives me sport mode another tap back and im back in Eco. I find I get around 60 MPG at the moment and in sport the 115hp engine is just about able to keep up with most normal cars on a 0-40MPH quick burst.

Here I would say when I switch off the engine it reverts back to normal mode when I restart so have to go through my start sequence every time I start my car.

I am going to try the set it in sport and tap back gear stick to normal to see if this does actually work. By the way has anyone been able to tell the difference between the Sport setting as far as steering weight goes?
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm ^ Yes you can. I never stay in "S" mode for gear changes, "D" reacts every bit as quick with your foot down and will rev the full range to upchange if you've put your foot down. Just pull gear lever back towards you (it's sprung, so will return to same resting position).

I believe that the car has to be in Sports mode for you to be able to select "S" - I don't know for sure as I'm never out of Sport mode on driver selection.
You've saved my next 3 years :D