18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

As to my Polo, I love it. Nearly drove into the side of a car yesterday, silly woman pulled out from a side road into my path. :shock:
[/quot
Did the waring on the dash appear and the auto break kick in? if what was the experience like? I get it must have been a shock but I mean if the breaks kicked in were they like the shuddering you get from antilock?
the-stig
New
Drives: 2018 GTI+

Post by the-stig »

Has anyone had their body colour part on the fuel filler flap come off? Mine fell off last week and my local dealer advise it's a common fault

thanks
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

do you mean your actual filer flap came off?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

mike sel wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:43 am As to my Polo, I love it. Nearly drove into the side of a car yesterday, silly woman pulled out from a side road into my path. :shock:
[/quot
Did the waring on the dash appear and the auto break kick in? if what was the experience like? I get it must have been a shock but I mean if the breaks kicked in were they like the shuddering you get from antilock?
No, I was able to brake before the auto braking could step in. I felt the ABS working, I heard a sort of grinding sound. I know from experience how good the ABS and traction control are, a very effective safety feature.

I have had the emergency braking kick in, it’s scary as it is unexpected when there is no reason to brake. I sometimes have the warning on the dash appear, usually for no reason.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

I often have aebs cut in too for no reason... On certain occasions actually stop me. It's a right pain. Even with the warning set to late in options
Leif wrote:
mike sel wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:43 am As to my Polo, I love it. Nearly drove into the side of a car yesterday, silly woman pulled out from a side road into my path. :shock:
[/quot
No, I was able to brake before the auto braking could step in. I felt the ABS working, I heard a sort of grinding sound. I know from experience how good the ABS and traction control are, a very effective safety feature.

I have had the emergency braking kick in, it’s scary as it is unexpected when there is no reason to brake. I sometimes have the warning on the dash appear, usually for no reason.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

the-stig
New
Drives: 2018 GTI+

Post by the-stig »

mike sel wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 am do you mean your actual filer flap came off?
Yes it came off. VW have taken the parts off a new car on the forecourt to fix mine
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

the-stig wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:34 pm
mike sel wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 am do you mean your actual filer flap came off?
Yes it came off. VW have taken the parts off a new car on the forecourt to fix mine
Hadn't heard of that fault before. I can't check mine right now as i'm in Mexico, but I assume the body colour flap wraps around a plastic hinged flap or clips to it - did the clips fail?
Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Have had mine for just over two weeks, has taken a bit of adjusting from driving a previous Fiesta Zetec - the Polo feels far heavier and a bigger car. It takes a bit to get going from standstill, judging how much to press the accelerator with the 3 cylinder engine but once going it's far smoother and so quiet on the motorway. I do find the gearing very long - you can cruise in 4th on the motorway and 5th is a real overdrive gear. In my mind it's set up as a motorway cruiser for long distances, around town it's less nimble and a bit bulky. Getting used to the firm ride on 16 inch alloys, only regret not having the 15 inch standard ones for a slightly comfier ride. Overall a good step up from the Fiesta, more refined, spacious and classic styling which won't date after a few years.
Mkelly93
New
Drives: 18 1.0 tsi

Post by Mkelly93 »

Hi, I’ve had my 18 plate polo since new and done about 2000 odd miles, car is great but only noticed one problem when reversing and locking the weel or slight movement on the wheel there is a ‘clunk’ when I’m engaging the break in the reverse motion...has anyone else had this problem!

Thanks
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Mkelly93 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:42 am Hi, I’ve had my 18 plate polo since new and done about 2000 odd miles, car is great but only noticed one problem when reversing and locking the weel or slight movement on the wheel there is a ‘clunk’ when I’m engaging the break in the reverse motion...has anyone else had this problem!

Thanks
Others have experienced the ‘clunk’ when reversing and then braking; see discussion thread at the link below;

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71595&p=537323

I initially had it with my previous generation Polo GTI. Likely cause is a small movement of the front brake pads in the brake callipers. My car doesn’t do it any more.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am
Mkelly93 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:42 am Hi, I’ve had my 18 plate polo since new and done about 2000 odd miles, car is great but only noticed one problem when reversing and locking the weel or slight movement on the wheel there is a ‘clunk’ when I’m engaging the break in the reverse motion...has anyone else had this problem!

Thanks
Others have experienced the ‘clunk’ when reversing and then braking; see discussion thread at the link below;

I initially had it with my previous generation Polo GTI. Likely cause is a small movement of the front brake pads in the brake callipers. My car doesn’t do it any more.
Is it a heavy clunk or just a light one? im trying to work out if I should be noticing this too. I have rear disks does that make a difference?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks

Is it a heavy clunk or just a light one? im trying to work out if I should be noticing this too. I have rear disks does that make a difference?
From memory, not excessively loud, but noticeable. Pretty certain it was from the front pads and calipers, not the rears. Owners of current model Polos with drum rear brakes have experienced it, which if it is an issue with movement of the brake pads in the calipers, then it’ll be the front brakes.
Mkelly93
New
Drives: 18 1.0 tsi

Post by Mkelly93 »

mike sel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm [quote=SRGTD post_id=544047 time=<a href="tel:1541583714">1541583714</a> user_id=22543]
[quote=Mkelly93 post_id=544045 time=<a href="tel:1541576541">1541576541</a> user_id=27837]
Hi, I’ve had my 18 plate polo since new and done about 2000 odd miles, car is great but only noticed one problem when reversing and locking the weel or slight movement on the wheel there is a ‘clunk’ when I’m engaging the break in the reverse motion...has anyone else had this problem!

Thanks

[/quote]
[/quote]

It can vary on noise and I’m not sure why, I’ve been back and forward to volkswagen and they replaced the front pads and discs and the noise disappeared for
About half a day and then re appeared again, I’m not entirely sure if having rear disks make a difference
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Mkelly93 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 pm
mike sel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 pm [quote=SRGTD post_id=544047 time=<a href="tel:1541583714">1541583714</a> user_id=22543]
[quote=Mkelly93 post_id=544045 time=<a href="tel:1541576541">1541576541</a> user_id=27837]

Thanks

[/quote]
I tried reversing tonight getting home and could not hear of feel any clunk I keep trying. If I get something ill let you know.

It can vary on noise and I’m not sure why, I’ve been back and forward to volkswagen and they replaced the front pads and discs and the noise disappeared for
About half a day and then re appeared again, I’m not entirely sure if having rear disks make a difference
[/quote]
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Just did a 398 mile round trip on the motorways between Bournemouth and Nottingham overnight then back again. The car performed great, got 56.8 MPG at usual motorway speeds. Necked it before I set off, used £20.10 on the way up I am assuming about the same on the way back. Vey comfortable in the car there were just the two of us so seats set way back. Car was set up set in normal mode with adaptive cruise control dialled in at 80MPH 90% of the way (car speed varied with the traffic), Tunes on and after the 3 Hr drive each way non stop we got out and felt it was generally a nice place to sit for 3 hours. No shock moments, car held road like it was on rails, driver alert did ask me to rest twice each way! I was not tired at all in fact very alert so I m not sure what it bases the rest advice on.

I would recommend the Polo SEL 115 DSG with ACC to anyone.