New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: New GTI

Post by Dink »

For me I'd never get one of these tuning boxes.

I don't like the idea of how they work by intercepting signals from the ecu and altering them.

I just don't get how these boxes have been available for a good while yet the big vw mappers have still not released anything.
CJO
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo GTi 2016

Post by CJO »

I think the key thing here is that if the objective is to attempt to avoid voiding your warranty then you'll most likely get away with it. However having been hit by a car that was modified without the mods being declared I had to sue the driver to recover my costs as they were not insured due to engine mappings and different alloys. Little things but a massive impact on me and my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Norfolk Boy
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Gti

Post by Norfolk Boy »

Norfolk Boy wrote:Not sure what mine are I will check. What tyres would be better in your view?
They are Bridgestones. Guess I'll need to wait as they are perfectly fine after 4000 miles in terms of wear.
Karlcee
New
Drives: Polo 6c/6r gti

Post by Karlcee »

CJO wrote:
Karlcee wrote:
CJO wrote:
For a scan from the OBD port which is what 99% of the garages will do 99% of the time that is correct but the VAL is still accessible if you're in an accident for example or the car does develop engine problems then VW can look at the history of the vehicle ECU. The process was originally developed by Porsche and incorporated by VAG from about 1997.

Not meaning to argue as it's incredibly unlikely they would check unless circumstance dictate.

The box leaves no history on the Ecu as its all done after the Ecu has already sent the signals to the car. The box then takes the signals and manipulates them it's self aferwards as far as I'm awear. That's how it dosent cause any flag if the Ecu was took out and scanned, if anything was to happen. Otherwise a remap can be hidden through a scan on the odb port but will be logged in the Ecu memory if they looked further.
That's as far as I'm awear anyways I'm not an expert haha
I think this is where we are coming at it from two different directions. The VAL is not interested the flags that you mention like TD1. VAL will document things like engine temperature, RPM, fuelling etc. From this VW or insurers can easily tell if a car had been modified without relying on flags on the ECU.

The example here to support your statement is that yes, a tuning box would not cause a flag so in theory VW or insurers would not spend the time/money to then investigate the VAL to see if the parameters are different from that of a standard car. So from that perspective a tuning box is not immediately noticeable. It does not mean that they wouldn't check in undue circumstance such as a externally modified car - lowered suspension - that isn't reported to its insurers, this would cause them to check the VAL if an accident occurred even if the TD1 flag wasn't thrown.

I understand, yeh this makes a lot more sense. VW would have to prove it and that could be quite difficult without no physical evidence? Or am I totally off and they would have no problem proving it with those logs off the car?

Anyways hopefully no one has to find out haha
Deejbb
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi 6R

New GTI

Post by Deejbb »

CJO wrote:I think the key thing here is that if the objective is to attempt to avoid voiding your warranty then you'll most likely get away with it. However having been hit by a car that was modified without the mods being declared I had to sue the driver to recover my costs as they were not insured due to engine mappings and different alloys. Little things but a massive impact on me and my family.

I would never mod my car and not declare it, it's simply not worth the risk.. Insurers will do all they can to get out of paying for a claim and if you haven't declared mods then you're screwed.

I lowered my car and am getting a cat back exhaust put on and they only charged me an extra £29, of which £19.50 was an admin fee..

Karlcee
New
Drives: Polo 6c/6r gti

Post by Karlcee »

I have a quote for £17 to insure me with lowering springs, it's really not as expensive as people make it out to be. Aslong as your with a good company
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

Karlcee wrote:I have a quote for £17 to insure me with lowering springs, it's really not as expensive as people make it out to be. Aslong as your with a good company
Spot on. I think there's this fear that they'll demand your life savings and tell your mother your darkest secrets.

helloimjammie
Bronze Member

Post by helloimjammie »

How easy is the tuning box to install or did you guys go to the dtuk guys for them to install?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

They're very easy to install. Depending on the size of your hands you may need to be ambidextrous - but only slightly - the instructions provided are clear and there are plenty of YouTube videos.

dashing
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by dashing »

Unless the manufacturer attested to covering any warranty claim if VW didn't pay because of the box, wouldnt even bother touching it! Blown turbo and imagine them checking the logs and refusing to cover, what would you do? Take them to court? Even in court it would be fairly obvious with historical data that someone's been fiddling with the car..
humbermart
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI Manual 3 Door

Post by humbermart »

dashing wrote:Unless the manufacturer attested to covering any warranty claim if VW didn't pay because of the box, wouldnt even bother touching it! Blown turbo and imagine them checking the logs and refusing to cover, what would you do? Take them to court? Even in court it would be fairly obvious with historical data that someone's been fiddling with the car..
You pays yer money and takes yer choice

Some folks are paranoid about remaps and tuning boxes causing warranty issues, so fine, don't bother. Others are prepared to take the risk.

I'm unlikely to have my GTI mapped as I'm happy with it as standard. However I had a new 2.2 diesel Civic mapped 'cos I was fed up of deliberate flat spots created by the OEM map just to gain low CO2 figures during EU tests. After the map, not only was it faster, but also smoother, and as an engineer, I'd be confident it was then MORE reliable.

The whole ugly subject of manufacturers wanting the lowest CO2 and highest MPG stats is pushing engines to run too lean and sometimes, too hot. Not to mention the overly complex EGR and injector systems on diesels.

Some after market maps are actually just taking the engine to its 'sweet spot' and it will likely outlast many standard variants.

Sure, that doesn't stop them trying to wriggle out of any warranty claim. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've owned about 30 new cars, 6 or 7 of them have been mapped, and I've never had any warranty issues on any of them. (Apart from a handful of unrelated minor trim or electric issues that have always been dealt with without issue)

Why should tuning boxes and maps be singled out anyway? Simply changing your alloys could also void your insurance and warranty.

I once made the mistake of not advising the insurance company that I had changed the alloys on my wife's Honda Jazz when she had kerbed the originals badly. I'd only swapped them for similar sized replacements from Halfords but they reduced the pay out after she claimed for a close encounter with a bollard, due to the non OEM wheels.

lewisp
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by lewisp »

Roll out the red carpet, my girl is on her way! Image

Quicksilver
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo GTi DSG

Post by Quicksilver »

rm55mcc wrote:Had any one noticed when put the key in their ignition and turn it once , all the dash lights up and the 2 lights that stay on is the Epc light and engine light? Is this normal???
Yes, mine does exactly the same. I phoned my local VW dealer who told me to call out the VW breakdown service. I did and the guy said that it is very common but it is not always the same lights on each vehicle. He even showed me that his van does the same. Two lights stayed on but not the same two as on my car. VW breakdown only handle VW group cars - VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and he said that it happens across the whole range.

Of course, if those lights do not go out when you turn the key to position 2 and start the car then you do have a problem and should contact the dealer immediately.
ShaunP
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI

New GTI

Post by ShaunP »

lewisp wrote:Roll out the red carpet, my girl is on her way! [img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/21/8bad7474fc04286c7b66e4b16d637ec9.jpg[/img]

Jealous :( Mines still build in progress apparently, just sitting here refreshing the page now hahaha

rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Post by rm55mcc »

Quicksilver wrote:
rm55mcc wrote:Had any one noticed when put the key in their ignition and turn it once , all the dash lights up and the 2 lights that stay on is the Epc light and engine light? Is this normal???
Yes, mine does exactly the same. I phoned my local VW dealer who told me to call out the VW breakdown service. I did and the guy said that it is very common but it is not always the same lights on each vehicle. He even showed me that his van does the same. Two lights stayed on but not the same two as on my car. VW breakdown only handle VW group cars - VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda and he said that it happens across the whole range.

Of course, if those lights do not go out when you turn the key to position 2 and start the car then you do have a problem and should contact the dealer immediately.

Brilliant mate thanks [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]