Miles to a tank

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
nogwuy
Silver Member

Post by nogwuy »

andyg wrote:To achieve 40mpg in the GTi like nogwuy you have to be doing motorway trips like he does, its got nothing to do with age. You also have to be keeping the speed around 60 mph. Achieving 40mpg around town or while making short trips is impossible.

However driving the GTi for fuel economy is totally pointless. It's a sporty car made for winding country roads, its not made for motorway cruising, which is why its noisy and revving at 4k when going a touch over 80.
actually there are no motorways on my daily commute between halesworth and norwich, only b and a roads including some quite winding ones. there are also 2 towns, oh and the whole of the city of norwich to get through before i get to work. you dont have to break speed limits to enjoy driving a gti, nor do you need your foot planted to the floor to go fast. you should be able to feel the point at which you are at optimum acceleration, if you push the pedal any further you wont go any quicker, only make more noise and burn more fuel, try it. I drive with consideration for myself, my car and the other road users around me. Im not saying that younger drivers are incapable of doing this at all, its just a question of how much you are willing to spend in a given time on fuel, tyres, brakes, gearbox rebuilds, speeding fines, insurance premiums etc etc.......all very boring I know and probably wouldnt have crossed my mind a few years ago when I didnt have a family and morgage. these things do however come with age. I am also a member of the institute of advanced motorists, and driving to their method as used by traffic cops etc has made me alot more aware of how to handle and appreciate the performance of a car but in a suttle way that is considerate to the car and the given road conditions. you dont need to thrash a car to go fast, in fact if you get the technique just right you can travel very quickly with such smoothness and fluidity that I could take my gran down the windyest of b roads at pace, and she could happily carry on knitting without fear of turning her legs/face into swiss cheese.

so driving the polo (or any) gti for fuel economy is not totally pointless, and high mpg doesnt have to mean low mph.

by the way the equasion thing in my last reply to this thread was intended as a joke, :lol: it has no scientific grounding. (i am not actually OLD anyway) :wink: