Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 am Maybe VW rely upon the fact that it is attached to the car in more than one place to call it multilink? It does have multiple links to the chassis but isn't independent rear suspension.

More than likely though, it is just a typo. Press releases suggested that GTI was going to get it.
Yes, Agee that it’s probably a typo, but it’s poor that the typo has been in the brochure for so long. Haven’t VW heard of proof checkers, or is nothing proof-read these days?

On the basis that presumably other non-GTI models have the same rear suspension design (i.e. rear beam axle), I wonder why VW have specifically singled out the GTI to call it multi link?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 am Maybe VW rely upon the fact that it is attached to the car in more than one place to call it multilink? It does have multiple links to the chassis but isn't independent rear suspension.

More than likely though, it is just a typo. Press releases suggested that GTI was going to get it.
Yes, Agee that it’s probably a typo, but it’s poor that the typo has been in the brochure for so long. Haven’t VW heard of proof checkers, or is nothing proof-read these days?

On the basis that presumably other non-GTI models have the same rear suspension design (i.e. rear beam axle), I wonder why VW have specifically singled out the GTI to call it multi link?
Maybe it's a slightly more sophisticated version of torsion beam suspension? Or perhaps the intent was there to fit it and it never happened, but the brochure didn't get updated.
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

Thanks for the clarification. Can anyone with experience of the MK7 Golf with multilink detect a material difference in the ride the Polo provides.
She’s approaching this from the perspective of wanting a: quick comfortable small car in exchange for £25000 in cash.
cupracing
New
Drives: polo gti

Post by cupracing »

I had a Golf GTi performance whilst my polo gti was being repaired (which has since been sold) The ride quality and handling of the golf is a lot better than the polos. The golf is very composed whilst the polo is skittish when pushing on. The 7-speed gearbox in the golf was also far superior to the polos. The polos gearbox can be temperamental and jerky in some scenarios whilst the golf was always smooth, effortless and fast. The golf is a better car overall but also a lot more expensive so you can kind of forgive the polo's flaws. It's just a shame I bought such a lemon of a car though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am Thanks for the clarification. Can anyone with experience of the MK7 Golf with multilink detect a material difference in the ride the Polo provides.
She’s approaching this from the perspective of wanting a: quick comfortable small car in exchange for £25000 in cash.
I don't think she'll need to spend £25k unless wanting to tick every options box. If she's prepared to wait for a factory fresh order, or even try to catch one built or about to be with no allocated owner (likely a cancelled order), going through a broker like Drive the deal will net about 12% off list price. If you nab a cancelled order you'll be stuck with any options selected and colour.

I had both a MK7 Golf GTD on standard 18" wheels and a Golf R on 19" wheels before the Polo GTI+. Ride is comparable to the GTD - well composed, but the back feels a lot lighter than the front and if you fling either car around on crappy Bridgestone tyres, the back end is skittish. That's more to do with poor tyre choice by VW than suspension. My PoloGTI+ was very skittish on the supplied Bridgestone Turanza tyres. I ditched them and put Michelin PS4 on and the car is glued to the road when pressing on now. The Golf R, even with 4WD was squirm on the back end with supplied Bridgestone Potenzas - again, a change in tyres transformed the car.

Rear suspension on the Polo GTI is fine - get the tyres changed if you go for 18" wheels and end up with Bridgestone tyres.

No comfort issues for the kids in the back seats in the Polo or the Golf.

The Golf is a marginally better car- not worth £8k more though.
raysablade
New

Post by raysablade »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:47 pm
raysablade wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 am Thanks for the clarification. Can anyone with experience of the MK7 Golf with multilink detect a material difference in the ride the Polo provides.
I don't think she'll need to spend £25k unless wanting to tick every options box. If she's prepared to wait for a factory fresh order, or even try to catch one built or about to be with no allocated owner (likely a cancelled order), going through a broker like Drive the deal will net about 12% off list price. If you nab a cancelled order you'll be stuck with any options selected and colour.

I had both a MK7 Golf GTD on standard 18" wheels and a Golf R on 19" wheels before the Polo GTI+. Ride is comparable to the GTD - well composed, but the back feels a lot lighter than the front and if you fling either car around on crappy Bridgestone tyres, the back end is skittish. That's more to do with poor tyre choice by VW than suspension. My PoloGTI+ was very skittish on the supplied Bridgestone Turanza tyres. I ditched them and put Michelin PS4 on and the car is glued to the road when pressing on now. The Golf R, even with 4WD was squirm on the back end with supplied Bridgestone Potenzas - again, a change in tyres transformed the car.

Rear suspension on the Polo GTI is fine - get the tyres changed if you go for 18" wheels and end up with Bridgestone tyres.

The dealer in Newcastle is taking the exact spec she wants from a cancelled order, that’s already in transit, and replacing the 18 inch wheels with the 17s she prefers. So that’s all good, especially if the wheels come with Michelin tyres. Given her red lines on spec it seems she’s been very lucky.

So long as any reduction long distance comfort is not huge and improvement is overtaking performance is I’m sure she’ll be happy. I’m guessing that 17” wheels might help slightly there. Her impression from test drives was a faster, better, Golf. Fingers crossed.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

The dealer in Newcastle is taking the exact spec she wants from a cancelled order, that’s already in transit, and replacing the 18 inch wheels with the 17s she prefers. So that’s all good, especially if the wheels come with Michelin tyres. Given her red lines on spec it seems she’s been very lucky.

So long as any reduction long distance comfort is not huge and improvement is overtaking performance is I’m sure she’ll be happy. I’m guessing that 17” wheels might help slightly there. Her impression from test drives was a faster, better, Golf. Fingers crossed.
Would the dealership in Newcastle be Scotswood Road Lookers or Silverlink Lookers? I live near one and work a mile from the other. Are you local to Tyneside or travelling to get it?

For me, the 18" wheels look massively better - if you replace the Bridgestone Turanza immediately and buy the Michelin PS4 on an offer, the cost to change can be as little as £110 for the set. Michelin PS4 bought are massively better than the standard 18" Bridgestone Turanza and considerably better than the Michelin Primacy tyres that come as standard on 17" Parker wheels. Turanza and Primacy are touring tyres, not sporting tyres.

Could I ask what options yours has on and what level of discount you're getting? So often these sales people ask you what you can afford a month if PCPing, maki g it easy to give you little or no discount. If you are a cash buyer, I would be going in and being cool about it all. It's rolling towards a very quiet time of the year for car sales, don't pay RRP or even close to it (and it sounds like you might be if you're quoting £25k to buy a car with a basic £23300 (or thereabouts) RRP.

When's the car available for pick up? Make sure it won't be subject to Brexit tariffs if we leave before it arrives.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

cupracing wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm I had a Golf GTi performance whilst my polo gti was being repaired (which has since been sold) The ride quality and handling of the golf is a lot better than the polos. The golf is very composed whilst the polo is skittish when pushing on. The 7-speed gearbox in the golf was also far superior to the polos. The polos gearbox can be temperamental and jerky in some scenarios whilst the golf was always smooth, effortless and fast. The golf is a better car overall but also a lot more expensive so you can kind of forgive the polo's flaws. It's just a shame I bought such a lemon of a car though.
Did you have gearbox issues with yours, or other things to make it a lemon?

I'd prefer a manual box, but am happy with the limitations that an auto box with no mind reading facility provides. Some people here report a hard 3rd to 2nd down shift while deceleration, I see/feel none of that. My mate's Golf GTI performance245 has the 7 speed wet clutch box and in an urban environment it is always flitting between 4th/5th/6th - annoys the hell out of him and he wishes he had the pre-facelift 6 speed box as fitted to the Polo GTI.

You often get far better tyres on the Golf too, you've got to be quite unlucky to get Bridgestone Potenza on a new Golf right now, whereas all 18" Brescias on the Polo seem to be shoddy with Bridgestone Turanza. A change in tyres transformed my Golf R and my Polo GTI+.
cupracing
New

Post by cupracing »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm
cupracing wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm I had a Golf GTi performance whilst my polo gti was being repaired (which has since been sold) The ride quality and handling of the golf is a lot better than the polos. The golf is very composed whilst the polo is skittish when pushing on. The 7-speed gearbox in the golf was also far superior to the polos. The polos gearbox can be temperamental and jerky in some scenarios whilst the golf was always smooth, effortless and fast. The golf is a better car overall but also a lot more expensive so you can kind of forgive the polo's flaws. It's just a shame I bought such a lemon of a car though.
Did you have gearbox issues with yours, or other things to make it a lemon?

I'd prefer a manual box, but am happy with the limitations that an auto box with no mind reading facility provides. Some people here report a hard 3rd to 2nd down shift while deceleration, I see/feel none of that. My mate's Golf GTI performance245 has the 7 speed wet clutch box and in an urban environment it is always flitting between 4th/5th/6th - annoys the hell out of him and he wishes he had the pre-facelift 6 speed box as fitted to the Polo GTI.

You often get far better tyres on the Golf too, you've got to be quite unlucky to get Bridgestone Potenza on a new Golf right now, whereas all 18" Brescias on the Polo seem to be shoddy with Bridgestone Turanza. A change in tyres transformed my Golf R and my Polo GTI+.

The Polo gti+ I had wasn’t new however it was only 8 months old with 4,000 miles on the clock.

The list of problems I had within 1 week of owning it

- the Turbo pipe popped off within an hour of ownership (engine warning light)
- Wheel balancing needed doing as the steering wheel vibrated at certain speeds
- the car almost tried to kill me by applying one brake causing it to swerve in front of oncoming traffic (suspect faulty collision warning system)
- a loud grinding noise when going around sharp left bends
- more creaks and rattles than a 10-year-old car

I ended up rejecting the car and getting a refund.
raysablade
New

Post by raysablade »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Would the dealership in Newcastle be Scotswood Road Lookers or Silverlink Lookers? I live near one and work a mile from the other. Are you local to Tyneside or travelling to get it?

For me, the 18" wheels look massively better - if you replace the Bridgestone Turanza immediately and buy the Michelin PS4 on an offer, the cost to change can be as little as £110 for the set. Michelin PS4 bought are massively better than the standard 18" Bridgestone Turanza and considerably better than the Michelin Primacy tyres that come as standard on 17" Parker wheels. Turanza and Primacy are touring tyres, not sporting tyres.

Could I ask what options yours has on and what level of discount you're getting? So often these sales people ask you what you can afford a month if PCPing, maki g it easy to give you little or no discount. If you are a cash buyer, I would be going in and being cool about it all. It's rolling towards a very quiet time of the year for car sales, don't pay RRP or even close to it (and it sounds like you might be if you're quoting £25k to buy a car with a basic £23300 (or thereabouts) RRP.

When's the car available for pick up? Make sure it won't be subject to Brexit tariffs if we leave before it arrives.
It is one of those and iirc the price is close to the configurator price. A few hundred less and over £1000 less than her budget

Cost to change is the key here and their trade in for one of their own cars is higher that other dealers, all of whom told her it would have to be a factory order if she could not consider any colour other than red. The dealer are also throwing in all the insurance products you might not want but that don’t reduce the price if you reject them.

Above all it’s a local dealer and easy to deal with in person if something goes wrong. That’s worth a lot to her

She wants climate, heated seats for very early winter mornings, a reversing camera and as much red as she can get inside and out. She actually turned down that spec on a car with a black roof because she couldn’t understand why anyone in their right mind would want to cover up red paint. Conversely she couldn’t care less about wheels. If the Brescias cost £400 more, the dealer is taking them out at the configurator cost, are harder to clean and need £100 worth of new tyres in her view it would be mad to keep them. Especially as Jesmond is Death Valley for alloy wheels; 15mm of extra rubber tyre wall might delay the inevitable. I’ll put it to her though, another tyre option might be Michelin Cross Climates for early winter starts, can see them fitting the performance profile though :wink:

It’s in transit so I’m guessing weeks away and Brexit not being an issue, we can ask them to confirm though. Would it be a risk anyway if it comes from SA? She’s very excited about that.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Sounds like a bad apple off the tree but doesn't necessarily mean the whole tree is rotten. I've also owned what I like to call a "Monday car" (built after a weekend of heaving drinking) and the best thing to do is make it someone elses problem quickly. Problem solved :P
cupracing
New

Post by cupracing »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:13 pm Sounds like a bad apple off the tree but doesn't necessarily mean the whole tree is rotten. I've also owned what I like to call a "Monday car" (built after a weekend of heaving drinking) and the best thing to do is make it someone elses problem quickly. Problem solved :P
Yep I agree, Who knows how the previous owner treated it too
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:43 pm

It is one of those and iirc the price is close to the configurator price. A few hundred less and over £1000 less than her budget

Cost to change is the key here and their trade in for one of their own cars is higher that other dealers, all of whom told her it would have to be a factory order if she could not consider any colour other than red. The dealer are also throwing in all the insurance products you might not want but that don’t reduce the price if you reject them.

Above all it’s a local dealer and easy to deal with in person if something goes wrong. That’s worth a lot to her

She wants climate, heated seats for very early winter mornings, a reversing camera and as much red as she can get inside and out. She actually turned down that spec on a car with a black roof because she couldn’t understand why anyone in their right mind would want to cover up red paint. Conversely she couldn’t care less about wheels. If the Brescias cost £400 more, the dealer is taking them out at the configurator cost, are harder to clean and need £100 worth of new tyres in her view it would be mad to keep them. Especially as Jesmond is Death Valley for alloy wheels; 15mm of extra rubber tyre wall might delay the inevitable. I’ll put it to her though, another tyre option might be Michelin Cross Climates for early winter starts, can see them fitting the performance profile though :wink:

It’s in transit so I’m guessing weeks away and Brexit not being an issue, we can ask them to confirm though. Would it be a risk anyway if it comes from SA? She’s very excited about that.
Coming from SA via Germany still would attract import duty if we got out of the EU sharpish with no deal. As you're paying pretty much RRP, I'd expect Lookers to swallow that cost if necessary. If it's well on it's way you should have it before Oct 31st, but factory to collection is generally 7 to 8 weeks.

Price to change is what really matters, but you may get more for the px selling privately on "Tootle". Sellers bid for your car to buy and sell on. My 46 month old Golf R got sold via Tootle for £2k more than Lookers would give and £1700 more than Pulman. Helped a lot in my cost to change. You're paying a lot for the privilege of not waiting for a factory order - that spec would be a £22k car on Drivethedeal. I got my GTI+ on a cancelled order - Red, Brescias, Nav (wouldn't have specced myself), camera (wouldn't have specced myself), Velvet Red inserts on dash (slightly prefer deep iron that my wife's white GTI+ has). I you haven't signed on the dotted line yet, might just be worth contacting Kim Draper at fleet sales, Listers of Nuneaton for a drivethedeal price, she has access to all the cars coming through the Listers group.

The Michelin PS4s have a very generous lip on them - you'd have to really clout the wheels against the kerb to scrape them.

I've had some horrendous experiences with Benfield (now Lookers) aftersales in the past, with both branches, although Scotswood Road have always been a little nicer to deal with. Both branches gave damaged my vehicles in their care and denied it - luckily I videied all round the car on my phone when dropping it off. When I got my MK7 Golf GTD (one of the first in the country), they replaced the top mount bearings after a week of ownership. Morning job, call at 11am to say it was ready to pick up, arrange to pick up lunchtime but it's not there. Technician took it out on a 37 mile joyride, doing the distance in 33 minutes (he reset the computer but Nav told a tale. So basically they thrashed my car with 170 miles on the clock. Complained to head office - nowt done about it.

Now they charge £14 a day plus £5 insurance to reduce the excess for their "free" courtesy cars (admin charge apparently) when you need warranty work - they charge for dropping you at work after dropping your car off too. I go to Pulman Sunderland now, they treat you much better - their courtesy cars are free too, as is picking your car up and dropping off.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm Price to change is what really matters, but you may get more for the px selling privately on "Tootle". Sellers bid for your car to buy and sell on. My 46 month old Golf R got sold via Tootle for £2k more than Lookers would give and £1700 more than Pulman. Helped a lot in my cost to change.
Tootle went into administration last month;

https://www.auto-retail.co.uk/agenda/tr ... oses-down/
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm Price to change is what really matters, but you may get more for the px selling privately on "Tootle". Sellers bid for your car to buy and sell on. My 46 month old Golf R got sold via Tootle for £2k more than Lookers would give and £1700 more than Pulman. Helped a lot in my cost to change.
Tootle went into administration last month;

https://www.auto-retail.co.uk/agenda/tr ... oses-down/

Did not know that,. The other place like them us "motorway" that advertise on telly. They attracted bids about £1000 less than the best on Tootle for my Golf R.