Leak in Passenger Footwell

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
HarryBock
New
Drives: 2002 Polo 9N S

Re: Leak in Passenger Footwell

Post by HarryBock »

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply.

From the photos I have attached you can see that the wire wants to be a decent length. I couldn't say how much of the wire I used, i just poked it down there as far as it would go really.

Assuming your water ingress is coming form the same location as mine, you will need to remove the bung circled in green (which is where the water was getting into my cabin, it was building up behind it and then seeping past the bung) and if it is not already full with water, take a jug and pour some water into it, assuming the problem is the same as mine, it should not take much to fill up to a point where you can see the water level. If water is not heard running out of the underside of car, then the channel should be filling and then this should solve your problem.

Once full, you need to take a piece of wire like the one shown in the picture and poke it through any of the 3 holes. I found that the ones circled in red offered the best path for the wire, especially the higher square one. Poke the wire straight down, you will need to feel through the wire to have some idea where it is. It needs to get as far down as it can go. There is a small gap in there that you will need get the wire into. From there, you need to try and work the wire towards the rear of the car, following the sill.

The reason the panel should have water in it is to identify when you have cleared the passage. When clear you should notice water running out form the underside of the car near the edge of one the under-body trays towards the back.

I do hope my advice helps you and feel to to ask any more questions.
Attachments
passenger footwell.jpg
Length of wire
Length of wire