New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CJO
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo GTi 2016

Re: New GTI

Post by CJO »

I have a question. So with the whole DSG vs Manual debate the general consensus is they are the same for general 0-62 assuming you operate the manual with a reasonable level of mechanical sympathy! The bit I don't understand - not being an engineer - is I've seen a few reviews now which go into detail about how the DSG and manuals interact with the exhaust gasses for spinning up the turbo to even out the torque differences by keeping the engine on song. So I have to wonder can the manual be modified to operate in a similar manner or is it intrinsically linked to how the manual interacts with the exhaust gas and turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andy_gdon
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi

Post by andy_gdon »

CJO wrote:I have a question. So with the whole DSG vs Manual debate the general consensus is they are the same for general 0-62 assuming you operate the manual with a reasonable level of mechanical sympathy! The bit I don't understand - not being an engineer - is I've seen a few reviews now which go into detail about how the DSG and manuals interact with the exhaust gasses for spinning up the turbo to even out the torque differences by keeping the engine on song. So I have to wonder can the manual be modified to operate in a similar manner or is it intrinsically linked to how the manual interacts with the exhaust gas and turbo?

Keeping the turbo spinning is a type of ALS system. You don't always want this to be the case and they can be crap to drive when using a manual gearbox (going back to my tuned evo's here.)

The dsg and fancy electronics will probably only do this when the accelerator is tramped or using the paddles for example. The rest of the time, it'll be standard. You'll also find the dsg speed of action lends itself to this.

Then there's vw trying even out the figures for the buyers.
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

andy_gdon wrote:
CJO wrote:I have a question. So with the whole DSG vs Manual debate the general consensus is they are the same for general 0-62 assuming you operate the manual with a reasonable level of mechanical sympathy! The bit I don't understand - not being an engineer - is I've seen a few reviews now which go into detail about how the DSG and manuals interact with the exhaust gasses for spinning up the turbo to even out the torque differences by keeping the engine on song. So I have to wonder can the manual be modified to operate in a similar manner or is it intrinsically linked to how the manual interacts with the exhaust gas and turbo?

Keeping the turbo spinning is a type of ALS system. You don't always want this to be the case and they can be crap to drive when using a manual gearbox (going back to my tuned evo's here.)

The dsg and fancy electronics will probably only do this when the accelerator is tramped or using the paddles for example. The rest of the time, it'll be standard. You'll also find the dsg speed of action lends itself to this.

Then there's vw trying even out the figures for the buyers.
Thanks Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lewisp
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by lewisp »

She's here! More pictures and stuff later at weekend, so far so good, just many dealer swirls to get shot of. :(

Love it tho!

ImageImage

Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Nice m8, yeah swirls are free these days, why don't the take a bit of time and care with our expensive purchases its terrible really
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

lewisp wrote:She's here! More pictures and stuff later at weekend, so far so good, just many dealer swirls to get shot of. :(

Love it tho!

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/fea4beb43a5024a221ac62a6e274fd02.jpg[/img][img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/2d39937d4beb0b088db631ed3d89df83.jpg[/img]

I have nothing but admiration for how far into the corner you parked it there...

lewisp
Getting There!

Post by lewisp »

CJO wrote:
lewisp wrote:She's here! More pictures and stuff later at weekend, so far so good, just many dealer swirls to get shot of. :(

Love it tho!

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/fea4beb43a5024a221ac62a6e274fd02.jpg[/img][img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/17/2d39937d4beb0b088db631ed3d89df83.jpg[/img]

I have nothing but admiration for how far into the corner you parked it there...

There's actually a car parked in the space beside me, I like to call it door collision avoidance, the mirror was dropped to park half an inch from the kerb!

Thanks tho [emoji23]

Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Re: RE: Re: New GTI

Post by Andy4791 »

lewisp wrote:
CJO wrote:

Love it tho!

There's actually a car parked in the space beside me, I like to call it door collision avoidance, the mirror was dropped to park half an inch from the kerb!

Thanks tho [emoji23]

Oooo a mirror dropper, welcome to my world lol
lewisp
Getting There!

Post by lewisp »

Andy4791 wrote:
lewisp wrote:
CJO wrote: I have nothing but admiration for how far into the corner you parked it there...

Thanks tho [emoji23]

Oooo a mirror dropper, welcome to my world lol
Wish it did it automatically like the rear wipe!

nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

JackM_24 wrote:Took my wheel back regarding the scratched alloy and they've sent it back to their sub contractor who claim that the marks are 'tyre soap' (pull the other one) anyway we shall see when it comes back Monday.
Any update on your wheel?
JackM_24
Getting There!
Drives: Soon to be 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JackM_24 »

Got it back yesterday, they' refurbished it FOC. Nice to be able to drive the car properly now instead of fannying around like some snail.
Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

CJO wrote:
Bear wrote:
CJO wrote: Let me know if you get a tracker update from VW.
I've just had the text to say it's in the UK, heh, tell me something I don't know :D
Me too! I'm on holiday this week - at home decorating - I will get nothing done if it's ready too early!

Picked it up about 3 hours ago... :twisted:

Post / pics / opinions to follow... At some point :lol:
CJO
Bronze Member

Post by CJO »

Bear wrote:
CJO wrote:
Bear wrote:
I've just had the text to say it's in the UK, heh, tell me something I don't know :D
Me too! I'm on holiday this week - at home decorating - I will get nothing done if it's ready too early!

I'm being told 6 days to prepare the car. Quite disappointed :(

Bear
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by Bear »

CJO wrote:
Bear wrote:
CJO wrote: Me too! I'm on holiday this week - at home decorating - I will get nothing done if it's ready too early!

What a bummer, wonder what's taking them so long? :(

Mine got to the dealer Tuesday (https://video.citnow.com/vt0xNQX0XQz) and it was ready today (https://video.citnow.com/vt0MZL_cpGb)

I could not be happier with the service from Esplanade VW, and Brendan in particular :D
Deejbb
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi 6R

Post by Deejbb »

Bear wrote:
CJO wrote:
Bear wrote:

What a bummer, wonder what's taking them so long? :(

Mine got to the dealer Tuesday (https://video.citnow.com/vt0xNQX0XQz) and it was ready today (https://video.citnow.com/vt0MZL_cpGb)

I could not be happier with the service from Esplanade VW, and Brendan in particular :D
My salesman didn't do anything like that for me ha