18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

As you guys know my Polo is at dealers still. I am hoping that when the factory get to look at it electronically they spot the obvious error and the car can then lock itself. IF that is the case I may get it back next week. HE hopes!

So I can check the car over can anyone tell me where I go to tell what charge I am getting from the battery, my guess is IF I am getting 14v charge then the electrics are likely to be healthy. Just not sure where to find that reading.

other thing , IF the factory cannot fix the car where do I stand? the car went in Xmas eve, I got it 1st June so it would have been just over the 6 months old so outside of the consumer protection act. But the point is I took the car in with a water leak everything else was perfect. They have reportedly found and fixed the water ingress issue but in the process they have caused the car to not be able to lock. So the fault that has kept the car there for the past two weeks is the fact they now cant lock it. its a fault of their making in the dealer.

I own the car outright so there is no VW finance involved. I have already been told by the dealer that they would not consider replacing the car because its over 6 months old and VW policy is not to recognise your car has an issue worthy of replacement unless you have had to take it back numerous times. Well I am not accepting it back IF it wont lock. So we could have a dilemma in as much as the VW dealer caused the problem that is stopping me having MY car back but they wont give me a full refund or swap the car for a new one !

I accept they have loaned my an OK car, but its not mine. I accept they want to try all options to get it working properly but at some point and that has to be fairly soon (if the factory "escalation" does not solve the issue) I am going to have to reject the car and press for a refund or replacement. I hope not as I really like my Polo its a better car IMHO then the 7.5 golf, I ordered the Polo with the options I wanted to make it a car that I wanted. the golf is a good car but I have no Active info display, no climate control no keyless no winter pack and it wont fit on the parking space (length wise) that I have to use so i am searching the street for parking when I get home. Also the golf only gives around 38-40 MPG where as I was averaging 50 in the Polo.

I want my Polo back fully working basically and a month of waiting is enough now. or I am going to have to push for a swap or refund.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

If you have a data plug and VW Connect on your smart phone, you can see the battery voltage. You will have to login to your VW account. Mine says 13.4V. Is it accurate? Dunno.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm sure that your supplying dealer who is also the repairing dealer is aware that they need to sort out that car, and that must be what they are doing their best to do, in my mind there is no question about who is responsible for this unfortunate situation or emergant fault, it is 100% your VW dealer who was working on behalf of VW UK to sort out an initial build issue that left that car leaking in rain water.
I can't see any possible situation where that dealer will end up phoning you up and say "collect your car we have done our best aided by VW AG, sorry your car will not lock - see you soon!", they must return that car to being as it was prior to you handing in in, bar having a water ingress issue.
This is just no more than an annoying experience, but it will get resolved and I would not think that VW UK or your dealer will consider placing a time limit on this warranty repair or its emergant problems, cars have become a bit complex, dealerships just need to buck up their fault finding techniques, good luck.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Leif wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:11 pm If you have a data plug and VW Connect on your smart phone, you can see the battery voltage. You will have to login to your VW account. Mine says 13.4V. Is it accurate? Dunno.
I've found, well on both my cars which ahve the same smart charging, that the voltage read, in my case directly from the 12V socket using a DMM with a reasonably fast sampling rate, that the voltage does vary quite a bit depending on with the charging is being limited or if you are on the overrun and max charging is enabled, the maximum voltage I've seen is quite a bit higher than 13.4V - at the moment I can't remember what it was but it initially did come as a shock, so don't get worried if you see some high values under brakng/overrun conditions - and conversly quite low values, maybe less than 12V under normal condtions.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 pm I'm sure that your supplying dealer who is also the repairing dealer is aware that they need to sort out that car, and that must be what they are doing their best to do, in my mind there is no question about who is responsible for this unfortunate situation or emergant fault, it is 100% your VW dealer who was working on behalf of VW UK to sort out an initial build issue that left that car leaking in rain water.
I can't see any possible situation where that dealer will end up phoning you up and say "collect your car we have done our best aided by VW AG, sorry your car will not lock - see you soon!", they must return that car to being as it was prior to you handing in in, bar having a water ingress issue.
This is just no more than an annoying experience, but it will get resolved and I would not think that VW UK or your dealer will consider placing a time limit on this warranty repair or its emergant problems, cars have become a bit complex, dealerships just need to buck up their fault finding techniques, good luck.
You are right, of course. it is a little frustrating but as you say they are doing their best and one thing is for sure I will get the car back in full working order. Its just when. TBH I am pretty hopeful the Factory will resolve the issue in the next week or so.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

RUM4MO wrote:
Leif wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:11 pm If you have a data plug and VW Connect on your smart phone, you can see the battery voltage. You will have to login to your VW account. Mine says 13.4V. Is it accurate? Dunno.
I've found, well on both my cars which ahve the same smart charging, that the voltage read, in my case directly from the 12V socket using a DMM with a reasonably fast sampling rate, that the voltage does vary quite a bit depending on with the charging is being limited or if you are on the overrun and max charging is enabled, the maximum voltage I've seen is quite a bit higher than 13.4V - at the moment I can't remember what it was but it initially did come as a shock, so don't get worried if you see some high values under brakng/overrun conditions - and conversly quite low values, maybe less than 12V under normal condtions.
Quite right... You can also tell when the interior fan is on... When you ease off the accelerator under certain conditions, the fan will speed up, and then slow down again when you accelerate. The wipers are the same... I find it quite annoying.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Muldoon
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 SE TSI

Post by Muldoon »

Adam_013 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm
RUM4MO wrote:
Quite right... You can also tell when the interior fan is on... When you ease off the accelerator under certain conditions, the fan will speed up, and then slow down again when you accelerate. The wipers are the same... I find it quite annoying.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I noticed this the other day - had the fan on 2 so quite loud, could hear it rising and falling in traffic - sounds weird. Not had that since an old Mini which due to weak voltage / dynamo the fan and wipers would slow down at low speed. Suppose it's some kind of energy saving device? I thought I was imagining it at first.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Call from the dealer this Pm apparently my Polo is now up and running with the locking working too. the head mechanic has taken the car home to check all systems are working and there are no squeaks rattles or plastic clicks. if all goes well I should have it back tomorrow or the next day
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:36 pm Call from the dealer this Pm apparently my Polo is now up and running with the locking working too. the head mechanic has taken the car home to check all systems are working and there are no squeaks rattles or plastic clicks. if all goes well I should have it back tomorrow or the next day
Hope it’s all sorted with everything working and back to normal.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It seems pretty good - I see mine bounce between 11.6v and 14.2v, depending on whether it has been sat a few days to the point of dashcam shut off or is fully charged.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:43 pm
mike sel wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:36 pm Call from the dealer this Pm apparently my Polo is now up and running with the locking working too. the head mechanic has taken the car home to check all systems are working and there are no squeaks rattles or plastic clicks. if all goes well I should have it back tomorrow or the next day
Hope it’s all sorted with everything working and back to normal.
I did not mind driving the Golf in the end. It was a Match DSG 1.5 evo and it had Satnav, Auto Cruise and rear camera. over the last couple of days with monkeyhangers tip on Aircon settings, I was getting a respectable 45-46 MPG out of it.

I does feel bigger then the Polo when your sitting it, but the facts are clear that in hard numbers its not much bigger on the inside at all. About the same head room front (polo fractionally more) and back with 20mm more internal width in the golf. Im not sure if there is more leg room in the back but if there is its marginal. I did find the larger boot useful at the supermarket we got all the weeks bags in there without putting some on top of others. But it is not something that would sell me the Golf over the Polo.

So at this time I am not sure why the Polo was made larger. The polo to all intent and purposes is in fact golf sized now. Having driven both for some weeks I cannot tell the difference except that the Polo is more up to date, yes the golf has some nice to things like the lined door pockets and the sliding hatch over the cup holders, I will say I do like the front arm rest in the Golf it notches into the height setting so I can set it at a height to suit me. I do like the rear arm rest come ski hatch.

From what I read the 2019 golf will be delivered to its first customers some time in 2020, with industry first 10 speed DSG and in more integrated and connected electrics package. From what I can, tell the size wont change much.

Choosing between the Polo SEL 115 DSG with all my options (heated seats, climate control, keyless, active info dash, blind spot warning, ACC, rear camera, rear crash protection, side airbags, ambient lighting, carwow £20.5k) or the Golf mk7.5 that I have been loaned (carwow £24.75k) Its the Polo for me, Even if I were ordering today, I just don't see where my extra £4.25k would be going and I am getting a lot less options in the Golf. For me, because of the Polo mk6 the Golf mk7.5 does not stack up.

I would happily have paid a bit extra in the Polo to have rear arm rest and lined door pockets but not 4.25k
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Cough....sorry?.....£20.5K for a Polo, and that's a carwow deal.....?
Holy crap... :shock:
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 am Cough....sorry?.....£20.5K for a Polo, and that's a carwow deal.....?
Holy crap... :shock:
[/quote

I agree its a bargain. I cant believe it either! less then 21K for a brand new car with the spec I have and its just 4058mm long !!! this is a real bonus for me.

Its the first cheap car I have had and its not that bad at all. I prefer it to the loan Golf, the BMW 330 I owed, the only car I enjoyed more is the Lexus I had all brand new, all more expensive bay far, Lexus was 48k new BMW 37k. None of these had all of the options my polo has. Yes the BMW 0-62 in 6.1 seconds the lexus more like 7.3 seconds and hybrid, but for less then 21k for a nicely equipped Polo, blimey they are almost giving then away.

I take your point Andy :D
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

It's the options that make it so expensive for what it is, that's no options/red paint GTI+ money. Half those options are standard on the GTI+ and the GTI+ has plenty of other standard spec that equals out the other options Mike bought.

Depreciation as a % of RRP will be hideous due to that spec being mainly options that don't hold their value. A fully loaded edition would be far better value as the kit then depreciated with the car.

But Mike's said a few times, he runs his cars into the ground doing 25k miles a year, so he already knows it's not going to be worth a lot at 4 years old with 100k miles on it. It's certainly cheaper per mile than the other car's he has had (depreciation and fuel). Personally I'd have bought a facelift MK7.5 GTD for doing 25k miles a year in, with tons of standard spec 184ps and 60mpg all day with a heavy right foot, doing that many miles. The Polo needs a decent diesel, but people have been scared out of diesels.

If the Polo GTI wasn't available, the Polo would not be on the radar for me, I'd have kept the Golf R very long term (4 years old in May - by far the longest I have kept a new car).

New cars are a complete rip-off at sticker price. I blame the 2008/2009 scrappage scheme. All the new cars shot up by at least £2k, making buyers with a banger no better off, but the VAT reduction to 15% softened the blow. 2 ways to pay less for the car and the car companies instead saw a opportunity to increase their margins without the consumer noticing much at the time.

At that time the newly released MK6 Golf (which was little more than an uglification facelift with only a tiny bit more standard spec and a lot of manufacturing cost savings) went up a staggering 24% vs the last MK5 prices. They've been going up by inflation busting amounts ever since.

Compared to the Golf, the Polo looks a bargain and my Golf R doesn't feel as well built (rattles and the panels feel thinner on the Golf but probably the same newer thinner (supposedly stiffer) gauge steel.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 pm Personally I'd have bought a facelift MK7.5 GTD for doing 25k miles a year in, with tons of standard spec 184ps and 60mpg all day with a heavy right foot, doing that many miles.
Agreed.
And a high mileage diesel Golf will always be worth 'something', they have an army of fans.
A high mileage petrol Polo will be worth two balloons and a windmill.