18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: 18 plate polo with no problems to date!

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm
stevereeves wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm Nutshell: certain Audi , Skoda & VW models are so similar these days. I.e. 3 rolling chassis roll (sorry) off 3 theorectically identical production lines; line 1 it gets an Audi body & a slight different equipment / spec levels, line 2 Skoda & line 3 VW. Same with Citroen, Peugeot & Renault, some models being so similar it's almost ridiculous. Anyone who plays guitar wil prob be aware this situation also applies to Gibson and other, lesser brands, the main differences being the name on the headstock which affects price. VW are still perceived as being high quality brand but other manufactureres have caught up tho VW have reduced quality a bit in. I'd still choose say, A Golf over a Leon, or a Polo over an Ibiza, but if there was onlay few £££'s in price difference it would be a more difficult choice. Audi are still a lot more expensive than VW & especially Skoda but the cars are about the same quality, IMO....
Indeed. It's clever brand management, to target the thrifty, standard and premium market segments using variations on the same product. From what I've seen VW do use slightly better plastics in the cabin, and noise suppression is better too, compared to Skoda and Seat so it's worth paying a bit more. I'm not convinced by Audi.
it is confusing for me though. It would be good to see a car reviewer actually review the Fabia, Ibiza, Polo and A1 and describe the differences in terms of drivability, road noise, cabin quality &feel, ride quality, options available and finally put them in order of desirability.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't see that happening as each of these cars are aimed at a different part of the car buyer's market.

Starting from the bottom and working upwards in the Fabia/Ibiza/Polo/A1 sector :-
Skoda - aimed at buyers wanting to spend less for that size of VW Group car, those who can only afford to buy that car claims to be smart and intellectual, normally a more compliant ride, very little in the way of sound proofing, interior trim starts at being a bit basic, strangely quite a few will be car brand snobs in as much as "anyone spending more for this size of car in VW Group are idiots and we know better".
SEAT - aimed at the younger and more fashion style conscious and those want both these things and firmer run, as well as not spending too much money, very little in the way of sound proofing, interior trim starts from being quite basic but also includes some proper driver's trim options in a sporting sense, not car snobs.
VW - aimed at the mainly older and conservative members of the motoring world which always means willing to spend a little more money, better levels of sound proofing, getting to be car brand snobish in some instances, starts at a reasonable trim level but includes some better options, normally a more compliant ride.
Audi - aimed at the more willing to spend more money in their cars and maybe making a statement, always a firmer ride, best sound proofing, starts at a good trim level and heads up from there with many options including special Audi only colours and "pick your own!", many will be car brand snobs, others just buying what they want and can afford.

Edited to include noise reduction.

Next Edit:- remember that a certain level/point in the structure of VW Group Passenger Cars, Audi and SEAT are grouped loosely together as the "sporting" arm, and VW and Skoda are grouped loosely as the "sensible" arm of product ranges.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:16 am I can't see that happening as each of these cars are aimed at a different part of the car buyer's market.

Starting from the bottom and working upwards in the Fabia/Ibiza/Polo/A1 sector :-
Skoda - aimed at buyers wanting to spend less for that size of VW Group car, those who can only afford to buy that car claims to be smart and intellectual, normally a more compliant ride, very little in the way of sound proofing, interior trim starts at being a bit basic, strangely quite a few will be car brand snobs in as much as "anyone spending more for this size of car in VW Group are idiots and we know better".
SEAT - aimed at the younger and more fashion style conscious and those want both these things and firmer run, as well as not spending too much money, very little in the way of sound proofing, interior trim starts from being quite basic but also includes some proper driver's trim options in a sporting sense, not car snobs.
VW - aimed at the mainly older and conservative members of the motoring world which always means willing to spend a little more money, better levels of sound proofing, getting to be car brand snobish in some instances, starts at a reasonable trim level but includes some better options, normally a more compliant ride.
Audi - aimed at the more willing to spend more money in their cars and maybe making a statement, always a firmer ride, best sound proofing, starts at a good trim level and heads up from there with many options including special Audi only colours and "pick your own!", many will be car brand snobs, others just buying what they want and can afford.

Edited to include noise reduction.
That pretty much sums up my perception of the brands. Pity about Audi having a harder ride, I'm happy to pay more for better sound proofing and a little more plushness, but a harder ride is a complete turn off. I guess it helps the sporty feel. You did forget to mention driving enjoyment. Usually journalists rate the Polo variants as Audi/Seat, Skoda, VW in that order with VW the least enjoyable, but possibly the softest ride. Maybe that fits with older customers. I'm not young. :mrgreen:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I completely missed the points about driveability there.

One curious thing, many Audis come in "S-Line" trim, in its basic form this means at least an extra inch on standard wheel diameters, which due to lower profile tyres, mean the ride gets a bit firmer, now if the buyer then goes for the option of S-Line suspension to compliment that, things normally get seriously firmer drive wise - that means quickly getting that sorted out by fitting Audi approved suspension to sort an Audi option problem, very strange maybe.

Now even stranger maybe, I have an Audi S4, and it came with the bigger S4 diameter option alloys, its ride is very controlled and quite acceptable in my eyes/bones, so a better designed set up than the S-Line suspension which is just getting towards being rock hard.

With the SEAT Ibizas, they do tend to be lighter than the equivalent Polo, so unfortunately when coupled with bigger diameter wheels, they do tend to be quite firm, especially noticeable with the smaller engine output versions, though I must say, I did drive my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC quite a lot while she was working abroad and I enjoyed it for what it was, ie just a stylish runabout for shortish journeys, though the stylish side of it was lost on me!

Expanding this discussion further, with Audi you can basically end up with a more powerful car with very little in the way of extras, taking my S4 as an example, it only has what is known as "poverty spec" infotainment, only rear parking sensors but does have interior lighting "extras" which is a bonus for any Audi it seems. Now all that suits me for that car, but most people buying a used S4 are only considering extras as sports rear diff, full cream Infotainment including B&O, sports seats and sunroof, and not really bothering too much if it has any body defects or mega mileage.

So, below Audi features and trim quality tend to rise as you go up through the range, and always have the basics and so basics+ etc, with Audi features improve and trim quality increases, but lots of the smaller things got come as standard on VW for instance, end up being options, so the price rises even higher when you spec them in.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I think I am alone is disliking large wheels and rubber band tyres but they are seen as desirable. I can't see the point in driving a car that feels rough on all but the smoothest surface. My Polo feels like a cumfy armchair on wheels, which is how I like it. Is there anything that is a similar size, but quieter and smoother inside?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:29 pm I think I am alone is disliking large wheels and rubber band tyres but they are seen as desirable. I can't see the point in driving a car that feels rough on all but the smoothest surface. My Polo feels like a cumfy armchair on wheels, which is how I like it. Is there anything that is a similar size, but quieter and smoother inside?
Sometimes it's the design of the standard wheels that pushes you to bigger wheels. I opted for 19" Pretoria alliys on my Golf R because the standard 18" Cadiz were so ugly. The size didn't bother me. I'd have had 18" Prets (as available for some markets, but not UK) instead.

Similarly, I wasn't keen on 17" Parkers for the Polo, I didn't feel as strongly against them as I did the Cadiz, but for £350 extra, I went for the only alternative, in 18".

Once you get into the set-up for the performance models, firm springs and shocks have a bigger influence for ride firmness than sidewall height within normal ranges (35 or 40% tyre width in sidewall height.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

I for one don't like small wheels and lots of black rubber. I would much prefer to have the least black rubber possible. :D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

That's simple, drive around on your rims.
Apart from filling the gap around the wheel and the arch of the front and rear mudguards, also a harsher ride, what other advantage do larger rims give you?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Also easier to curb your rims with less rubber, unless you park 6" to 12" away from the curb, just in case.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Agree with RUM4MO grading's of Audi, VW, Seat & Skoda. The brand line up and pricing mostly agrees with the 'pays yer money and gets what yer pay for' principle increasing reasonably except Audis cost a lot more £ for £ / spec for spec than do VWs and not good enough to be worth the extra. Audis are good, but not that good IMO....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 pm That's simple, drive around on your rims.
Apart from filling the gap around the wheel and the arch of the front and rear mudguards, also a harsher ride, what other advantage do larger rims give you?
its just aesthetics I think larger wheels can make a hole car look nicer...yes you pay with harsh ride I suppose.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing to remember, when a car comes with quite a range of wheel sizes(diameters), in every case they should have the same rolling radius, so the gap remains the same, just the look that has changed due to the changed ratio of black "thickness" to alloy "thickness".

When my daughter bought her Ibiza new back in October 2009, it was on the advice of her then boyfriend who was a car nut with lots of "car knowledge" - and the plan was to "fill the wheel arches better"!??
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

I have a Polo GTI and the handbrake release button has an annoying rattle when driving. Does anyone else have this issue?
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

MattB911 wrote:I have a Polo GTI and the handbrake release button has an annoying rattle when driving. Does anyone else have this issue?
Yeah mine did it when I got it, take it in to your VW dealer and I believe the pack it out to stop the rattle [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattB911
New
Drives: GTI

Post by MattB911 »

joeknight94 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am
MattB911 wrote:I have a Polo GTI and the handbrake release button has an annoying rattle when driving. Does anyone else have this issue?
Yeah mine did it when I got it, take it in to your VW dealer and I believe the pack it out to stop the rattle [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, I'll get in touch with the dealer. Cheers Joe 👍