Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Re: Coming from a Golf GTI mk7.5

Post by raysablade »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm Now they charge £14 a day plus £5 insurance to reduce the excess for their "free" courtesy cars (admin charge apparently) when you need warranty work - they charge for dropping you at work after dropping your car off too. I go to Pulman Sunderland now, they treat you much better - their courtesy cars are free too, as is picking your car up and dropping off.
I remember her telling me about that. Iirc she lets them pick it up and drop back at home. lt is still chargeable but cheaper.

Pullman might be worth a call. I’d always assumed she would want a local dealer but Benfield Skoda were so poor that she bought her Skoda from Stockton.

I’m sure the sticking point in Drive the Deal would be trade in. She’d much prefer drive the old car in and the new one away.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:42 pm Now they charge £14 a day plus £5 insurance to reduce the excess for their "free" courtesy cars (admin charge apparently) when you need warranty work - they charge for dropping you at work after dropping your car off too. I go to Pulman Sunderland now, they treat you much better - their courtesy cars are free too, as is picking your car up and dropping off.
I remember her telling me about that. Iirc she lets them pick it up and drop back at home. lt is still chargeable but cheaper.

Pullman might be worth a call. I’d always assumed she would want a local dealer but Benfield Skoda were so poor that she bought her Skoda from Stockton.

I’m sure the sticking point in Drive the Deal would be trade in. She’d much prefer drive the old car in and the new one away.
If you are financing and don't have the readies to have your car bought to sell privately after you have your new car, then there's a bit of inconvenience there to be without a car before the new one turns up. Might be worth getting a quote off "motorway" to see that Lookers p/x price is as good as you'll get for the current car. If not, some more negotiating maybe?

Pulman for aftersales every time for me (Sunderland branch better than the Durham one).

As you're pretty local to me, if you want to see a Flash red with red dash in the flesh, let me know. Might incentivise me to wash it!
raysablade
New

Post by raysablade »

If the prices from Motorway and Drive the Deal come through she could save around £2000 much would depend on whether delivery dates are reasonable with her spec. Whether it’s worth the hassle remains to be seen😉. Her current dealer has already said they can’t move on the price.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm If the prices from Motorway and Drive the Deal come through she could save around £2000 much would depend on whether delivery dates are reasonable with her spec. Whether it’s worth the hassle remains to be seen😉. Her current dealer has already said they can’t move on the price.
They definitely can move on price, they're choosing not to. Perhaps that's down to seeming keen at discussions or perhaps they're hedging their bets on people wanting to jump the queue willing to pay nigh on RRP.

Lookers is a big group and they can afford to discount. Those "free" financial packs (GAP and maybe lifeshine treatment?) aren't free at all. The salesperson will invoice them in lieu of discount. They like to include them because the salesperson gets more commission on selling those products than they will in selling the car.

I have had 10% off a Benfield Scotswood Road supplied Golf GTD before.

I haven't paid more than 90% of list price on the last 8 VWs bought from new.

2 grand difference is hard to bear unless the missus is adamant that she has to have the options on that car, that colour, right now.

Red is a free colour, suits the car well and the GTI is very limited in colours available.

If any other GTI+ come through unallocated, there's a high chance of them being red.

If you're willing to call their bluff for more discount, I think they'll be more eager to sell than you think. October is an extremely quiet month for car sales.

Don't forget, if you do hang on for another deal, the px is depreciating monthly, but if it is being PCP'd your equity in it will not get any worse.

You could give Kim Draper at Listers a ring to see if they have anything at DTD prices.
raysablade
New

Post by raysablade »

Good news and bad from DTD. 12.5% discount but the spec is only available on a factory order so a 6 month wait. Given that the big dealer deposit locks you in it’s effectively a £2.5k punt on no-deal brexit at even money. Sounds fun :wink:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

raysablade wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm Good news and bad from DTD. 12.5% discount but the spec is only available on a factory order so a 6 month wait. Given that the big dealer deposit locks you in it’s effectively a £2.5k punt on no-deal brexit at even money. Sounds fun :wink:
If you haven't yet committed to the Lookers car (sounds like you haven't), you could try negotiating in a kind of "for the right price, I'm willing to sign up today. If the price is palatable to them, the salesperson will walk across the showroom and disappear for 5 mins "to ask my boss, he doesn't normally authorise discounts like this, but I'll see what I can do and my kids won't eat for a week" etc.

Make it clear that you're not really interested in the GAP/lifeshine, you'd rather have the money off. If they choose to leave it on to snag their personal slice of commission you shouldn't be missing out on discount in lieu of the "freebies" that aren't really free.

I think they'd go with another grand off unless they gave a buyer in the wings. Brexit uncertainty is stopping a lot of people going out and committing to a new car right now.

What's the px you have? Do they have same car/spec/age/mileage on the used forecourt or in their network online? If the px being offered isn't 85% of what they're selling that equivalent car for, they're not subsidising the lack of discount on the new one with an amazing PC valuation.
go far with mjr
New
Drives: Gti

Post by go far with mjr »

I consider the Polo Gti+ excellent value compared to a Golf GTi.Managed to exchange my 2 year old 230 7.5 DSG with 25000 miles for a new GTI+
for less than £3000.Same 6 speed DSG which is superb especially the coast feature.My fuel consumption is dramatically different..
I had planned to order MK8 Gti, but i shall be surprised if we see that next year, it will be larger and filled with electronics so will be unlikely to cost realistically similar.Like other people i have fitted PS4 which transformed the car especially road noise.Fitted 225x40 x18. for less than £75 a corner.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Lookers in Preston is where I used to buy my cars from and only from one salesman, who sadly left due to health reasons. He was the only one that would take the Gap insurance, lifeshine etc. off as standard then ask if you wanted to add it in. They get paid commission for selling those products so don’t let them tell you they can’t take them off as that’s a lie.

I’m sure you’re aware but lifeshine is never put on properly (takes hours to do correctly and they do new cars in about 30 minutes) and you can get GAP cheaper directly from ALA. Ironically it is ALA that do the VW gap insurance direct....

It’s a great car, but sounds to me like either they are pulling a fast one or because they know you don’t want to wait 6 months they won’t budge.
aron.phelan
New

Post by aron.phelan »

go far with mjr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 pm I consider the Polo Gti+ excellent value compared to a Golf GTi.Managed to exchange my 2 year old 230 7.5 DSG with 25000 miles for a new GTI+
for less than £3000.Same 6 speed DSG which is superb especially the coast feature.My fuel consumption is dramatically different..
I had planned to order MK8 Gti, but i shall be surprised if we see that next year, it will be larger and filled with electronics so will be unlikely to cost realistically similar.Like other people i have fitted PS4 which transformed the car especially road noise.Fitted 225x40 x18. for less than £75 a corner.
Hi what’s the coast feature and where did you get the PS4’s from ?

Cheers
Mike222
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gti 2023 face lift Reefblue /black

Post by Mike222 »

The coast feature is when the throttle is closed the dsg transmission disengages so , does not give a braking effect .
I think it is active when car is in eco mode . Should improve fuel economy , but it takes a bit of getting used to
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

go far with mjr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 pm I consider the Polo Gti+ excellent value compared to a Golf GTi.Managed to exchange my 2 year old 230 7.5 DSG with 25000 miles for a new GTI+
i agree great value and great car, i am enjoying mine everyday. You can feel the vehicle body is more stiffer, less creaks and vibrations compared to my Golf 6.

My next mod is 225/40r18 to add more traction.

Pilot Sport 4 tyres are quite more expensive at least £35 a corner more then the ContiSport5 p/Potenza S001/Eagle F1 ASM 3 and Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.
go far with mjr
New
Drives: Gti

Post by go far with mjr »

Got them on Michelin promo £70 off for 4.Ended up paying same as Pirelli etc which I had on golf.One big advantage is the kerb edging which on Brescia is essential.
Coast is great with DSG at 800 revs the car seems to go on fresh air!Only used when in traffic,you have to select on touchscreen each time you start car.
I enjoy going from eco to sport then back to eco on a journey ,hence great consumption
raysablade
New

Post by raysablade »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
raysablade wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm Good news and bad from DTD. 12.5% discount but the spec is only available on a factory order so a 6 month wait. Given that the big dealer deposit locks you in it’s effectively a £2.5k punt on no-deal brexit at even money. Sounds fun :wink:
If you haven't yet committed to the Lookers car (sounds like you haven't), you could try negotiating in a kind of "for the right price, I'm willing to sign up today. If the price is palatable to them, the salesperson will walk across the showroom and disappear for 5 mins "to ask my boss, he doesn't normally authorise discounts like this, but I'll see what I can do and my kids won't eat for a week" etc.

Make it clear that you're not really interested in the GAP/lifeshine, you'd rather have the money off. If they choose to leave it on to snag their personal slice of commission you shouldn't be missing out on discount in lieu of the "freebies" that aren't really free.

I think they'd go with another grand off unless they gave a buyer in the wings. Brexit uncertainty is stopping a lot of people going out and committing to a new car right now.

What's the px you have? Do they have same car/spec/age/mileage on the used forecourt or in their network online? If the px being offered isn't 85% of what they're selling that equivalent car for, they're not subsidising the lack of discount on the new one with an amazing PC valuation.
Many thanks for all of your advice. its been a huge help. She picked her car up today from people she wanted to get it from and who gave her a decent deal the end.With the extra £1000 from VW thrown in the saving was around 15% off the list pricer for a car with all the options she wanted and no extras she didn't. Seems someone else was delighted to swap the Brescia wheels on the cancelled order she took over with the Parkers on theirs.

Its such a pretty thing and it clearly fits her well. Make's you wonder if the "youth" focus in the marketing of these cars is misplaced. She's been driving for nearly 40 years wants small fast agile car for her and occasionally one other person. I'm glad she can see it for what it is and resisted the A class alternative.