Diiiiirty

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Thats not so bad! I know you have a white car, but still. Have to agree about the dirty car comments, it feels degrading to drive about in a filthy looking GTi but I haven't had the time to wash her for a while and the valeters that visit work appear to have stopped working for Christmas!

Is it just me or is it a fact that if you have the BBS RX2s, they always seem to take all the punishment when the car gets dirty? Mine are a light brown shade at the moment due to road grime and brake dust :cry:
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Si_GTi wrote:Is it just me or is it a fact that if you have the BBS RX2s, they always seem to take all the punishment when the car gets dirty? Mine are a light brown shade at the moment due to road grime and brake dust :cry:
It's not you - I've never known a wheel like it for attracting road dirt and brake dust - mine are powder coated black fer chris t sake and they get dirty so fast it's unreal - must be airflow around the spokes or summut!!!!
Neimad
Getting There!

Post by Neimad »

bstardchild wrote:Today it had to be cleaned regardless so this is a pretty pathetic affort compared to some of the minging filthy cars I've seen but I have never left a car this long before cleaning it and will never do it again either

Anyway I feel so much better about it - I felt soooooo dirty before almost violated :shock:
Is it just your own car being dirty that makes you go and grab a bucket and sponge? If not, my address is... :)

Last weekend, I finally got enough time to actually wash my car (could have looked a lot worse if not for it being dark blue, but not a pretty sight). Well, I must say that I was quite chuffed with the outcome (it always makes me feel good to see my car sparkling), but come Tuesday morning I left my house to find what could only be described as my car two days previous sitting there! Gotta hate this time of year, and when you have to do motorway crawls day in, day out, the result is inevitable. :(
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I washed away my best effort at a dirty car last sunday, sadly didn't think to take any photos.. I was so busy that I hadn't washed it since the evening before utterly veedubberly.. so that's 3 weeks in the middle of winter, having covered about 450 miles worth of motorways and another 250 or so of country lanes etc. When I washed it, it looked as if someone had held a UV light up to the white paint, it practically glowed compared to the crap that had built up on it. It got to the point where I actually forgot that it was white instead of a nasty brownish beige colour :D
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

reminds me i really must go get the salt off that primer i dabbed on the monster scratch

tis already returning to orange at the edges - bad sh** but i cant fix it til at least friday :(
dxg

Post by dxg »

Herewith my contribution:

Won't have time to clean it for another couple of weeks... :shock:

Deek.
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

hope its sunny tomorrow morning like it was today, ive got some awful sh*te all over now

its just not worth washing it november into january unless you can afford the time to do it every couple of days... i'm just letting a protective coat build up (sure salt's bad for the bodywork, but if no air and water can get to the metal then it makes no diff!)
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

protective coat sounds good.!

dont fink it looks good tho :roll:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

why does the camera never capture the grime's true glory?

what colour did you say the car was ossifer?
Image Image

urrgh
Image Image
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .( ^^^ dont ask) .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . even the poppy's filthy

not even the left side got off easy
the wheel has totally changed colour for starters
Image Image wtf, mate?
Last edited by Tahrey1043 on Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

the bumpers are dirty? or is tat just faded? :shock:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

<grandpa simpson>
ehhh, a little from column A, a little from column B...
</grandpa simpson>

let me put it this way - if you look closely you can see where the last over-vigorous back-to-blacking i gave them started to run when i realised it actually means "back to slightly less grey" and overdid it.
(that was sometime in 2003)
dxg

Post by dxg »

Tahrey1043 wrote:<grandpa simpson>
ehhh, a little from column A, a little from column B...
</grandpa simpson>

let me put it this way - if you look closely you can see where the last over-vigorous back-to-blacking i gave them started to run when i realised it actually means "back to slightly less grey" and overdid it.
(that was sometime in 2003)
have you tried proper vinyl dye? impossible (in theory) to put too much on as the dye impregnates the plastic and the excess solvent just evaporates off.

just a thought. i've used it with great sucess on computer cases (with lacquer as well), but not on cars - odd, considering you buy it in halfords.

deek.
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

never heard of it mate

does it come in navy blue, and is it removable?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Bump! :)

Whilst I try and keep my car clean, a few weeks of laziness (and having gone on holiday) and a 160-mile round trip in today's slightly miserable conditions means its now in a right state :cry:

That front shot doesn't do the dirt justice, its lots worse in the metal. And I'm at work all this week so I'm not likely to be able to clean her until next weekend - we have a large pile of sand on the drive atm so can't wash anything for fear of wetting it all and losing it down the drains :x
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

looks like u used the windscreen washers plenty of times!