GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 am Start stop uses as much fuel per stop as needed for about 20 seconds-worth of idling. I turn mine off at the start of every journey, and put it on if I have a long stop (like just missing the lights on a busy junction).

If you're sat for more than 20 seconds, it's worth start stop kicking in.
I dislike stop start, and this is how I use it in my car.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 am Start stop uses as much fuel per stop as needed for about 20 seconds-worth of idling. I turn mine off at the start of every journey, and put it on if I have a long stop (like just missing the lights on a busy junction).

Most inportant is that oil flow stops while engine is off and it take a little time to get it moving when started again ... unless anyone want car for a few years I highly recomend not using startstop system because it will increase wear on all engine parts
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Dark_cze wrote:

Most inportant is that oil flow stops while engine is off and it take a little time to get it moving when started again ... unless anyone want car for a few years I highly recomend not using startstop system because it will increase wear on all engine parts
It takes roughly 3-5 seconds for oil circulation.

And as long as you anticipate the traffic start-stop is perfectly fine.

Allow the engine a few seconds for the turbo to return to idle rpm and it's fine to use. Same for starting up, to instantly start it up and roar off..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:21 pm
Dark_cze wrote:

Allow the engine a few seconds for the turbo to return to idle rpm and it's fine to use. Same for starting up, to instantly start it up and roar off..

It is not so fine ;) try to start your car 10 times per day for a few years ... there is wear. It is same nonsens as 2 years or 30 000km oil changes ... Also who waiting for green will wait 3 to 5 second before going? People behind you would go mad :-D
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

Dark_cze wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:21 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Most inportant is that oil flow stops while engine is off and it take a little time to get it moving when started again ... unless anyone want car for a few years I highly recomend not using startstop system because it will increase wear on all engine parts

It is not so fine ;) try to start your car 10 times per day for a few years ... there is wear. It is same nonsens as 2 years or 30 000km oil changes ... Also who waiting for green will wait 3 to 5 second before going? People behind you would go mad :-D
But they're designed to be like that...

They supply bigger batteries and different starter motors for this reason. And 10 times a day is nothing if you make several trips in a day anyway.

As for the 3-5 second thing. Hence you have to anticipate whether or not to use it. If you've just stopped and people have just finished crossing the road you obviously wouldn't use it. Had you of stopped when they started then you may as well...

My point about lubrication is to not rev the buggery out of it as soon as it starts back up. Just drive off normally

peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I dislike it in my current manual Polo because I can engage 1st and attempt to pull off quicker than it starts at times which on occasions has caused me to stall it.
It went for a service recently and I had a DSG auto 18 plate Polo courtesy car and it cut out before I had reached a complete stop which also knocks out the power steering too so lining up as I would normally for the junction didn't work.
There should be an option to knock it off as a default setting, if you so wish.
It's become part of my start up sequence now to start the car and disable it.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm But they're designed to be like that...

They supply bigger batteries and different starter motors for this reason. And 10 times a day is nothing if you make several trips in a day anyway.

As for the 3-5 second thing. Hence you have to anticipate whether or not to use it. If you've just stopped and people have just finished crossing the road you obviously wouldn't use it. Had you of stopped when they started then you may as well...

My point about lubrication is to not rev the buggery out of it as soon as it starts back up. Just drive off normally

You lost me at "But they're designed to be like that..." they are designed to be efficient while testing. Engine which is not running have no emisions. Old NEDC test were from 27% stationary so emisoins were lower. No manufacturer care what happen to engine after extended warranty (4 or 5 years after delivery). If crankshaft bearing fail after warranty then it is owner problem also that will end with pricey repair. Never forgot that they need to make money so "lying" with lower emisions might lure in another customer. (like they never did anything even worser before right?)
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm They supply bigger batteries and different starter motors for this reason. And 10 times a day is nothing if you make several trips in a day anyway.
They supply them to hold added wear but do they make engine more resistant to added wear? no ... they even go opposite way (1.5 EVO even don't have cylinder sleves and engine block is from aluminium with some chemical layer insted of sleves .. yeah that gonna hold well)
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm As for the 3-5 second thing. Hence you have to anticipate whether or not to use it. If you've just stopped and people have just finished crossing the road you obviously wouldn't use it. Had you of stopped when they started then you may as well...

it is not about revving it is about running engine with low oil pressure multiple times per day.

But do as you wish ;) I have plan to keep my GTI longer than than few years :D
Last edited by Dark_cze on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member

Post by Adam_013 »

peeceeuk wrote:I dislike it in my current manual Polo because I can engage 1st and attempt to pull off quicker than it starts at times which on occasions has caused me to stall it.
It went for a service recently and I had a DSG auto 18 plate Polo courtesy car and it cut out before I had reached a complete stop which also knocks out the power steering too so lining up as I would normally for the junction didn't work.
In all fairness I have this too! Depress clutch, engine starts, engage gear, pull away and it doesn't seem to recognise the accelerator pedal for a second or two and nearly stall!

From what I've heard it's not very good in the DSG, if anything a bit dangerous. You should be able to switch if off in automatics since you can't control it otherwise (with the clutch pedal).

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 pm
peeceeuk wrote:I dislike it in my current manual Polo because I can engage 1st and attempt to pull off quicker than it starts at times which on occasions has caused me to stall it.
In all fairness I have this too! Depress clutch, engine starts, engage gear, pull away and it doesn't seem to recognise the accelerator pedal for a second or two and nearly stall!

From what I've heard it's not very good in the DSG, if anything a bit dangerous. You should be able to switch if off in automatics since you can't control it otherwise (with the clutch pedal).

For DSG, instead of depressing the clutch (as you would in the manual) to restart, you've had your foot on the brake, and as you bring your foot off the brake, the engine fires up, about 1/2 a second later the clutch bites and you're away. Predictable enough if you're not wanting to burn away from traffic lights or at a busy roundabout where you've got to be ready to exploit a gap.

Neither system seems better than the other (I have the system in my manual Golf R too).
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm But they're designed to be like that...

You lost me at "But they're designed to be like that..." they are designed to be efficient while testing. Engine which is not running have no emisions. Old NEDC test were from 27% stationary so emisoins were lower. No manufacturer care what happen to engine after extended warranty (4 or 5 years after delivery). If crankshaft bearing fail after warranty then it is owner problem also that will end with pricey repair. Never forgot that they need to make money so "lying" with lower emisions might lure in another customer. (like they never did anything even worser before right?)
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm They supply bigger batteries and different starter motors for this reason. And 10 times a day is nothing if you make several trips in a day anyway.
They supply them to hold added wear but do they make engine more resistant to added wear? no ... they even go opposite way (1.5 EVO even don't have cylinder sleves and engine block is from aluminium with some chemical layer insted of sleves .. yeah that gonna hold well)
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm As for the 3-5 second thing. Hence you have to anticipate whether or not to use it. If you've just stopped and people have just finished crossing the road you obviously wouldn't use it. Had you of stopped when they started then you may as well...

it is not about revving it is about running engine with low oil pressure multiple times per day.

But do as you wish ;) I have plan to keep my GTI longer than than few years :D
Is there a supplementary low pressure oil pump running on an electric motor when the engine is stopped?

On my Golf R there is an oil pump that keeps running for a short while at the end of the journey (until turbo has wound down and cooled enough?)- you can hear it beeping away like R2D2 for a few minutes after the end of the trip. I wouldn't know if it is working during the stop part of a stop-start cycle as it is too quiet to hear from the car interior.

Stop-start availability could be tied to oil viscosity/temp for easy restart or easy circulation by electric pump.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 pm Is there a supplementary low pressure oil pump running on an electric motor when the engine is stopped?

On my Golf R there is an oil pump that keeps running for a short while at the end of the journey (until turbo has wound down and cooled enough?)- you can hear it beeping away like R2D2 for a few minutes after the end of the trip. I wouldn't know if it is working during the stop part of a stop-start cycle as it is too quiet to hear from the car interior.

Stop-start availability could be tied to oil viscosity/temp for easy restart or easy circulation by electric pump.
ETKA Shows nothing like that. as far as i know it is not completly same engine as in golf R/gti since it uses budak cycle like tiguan 2.0 tsi
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 pm

For DSG, instead of depressing the clutch (as you would in the manual) to restart, you've had your foot on the brake, and as you bring your foot off the brake, the engine fires up, about 1/2 a second later the clutch bites and you're away. Predictable enough if you're not wanting to burn away from traffic lights or at a busy roundabout where you've got to be ready to exploit a gap.

Neither system seems better than the other (I have the system in my manual Golf R too).
My point with my very short experience with DSG and stop / start is that it's to keen to shut off, even before you're at a complete standstill.
Pulling off, so to speak, is a different thing.
In my experience, on manual, I can attempt to get going quicker than the system allows, in DSG it seems too eager to shutdown when coming to a halt.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Only “run on” pump will be a cooling water pump.
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

Start/stop, a real headache ... I work for a hire company and we have had about 15-20 VW sharans go back under warranty because of the start stop failing. Car would stop and engine goes off (ie. at traffic) and then won't start again. Failures happened within first two years and at around 60k miles!! we also changed many batteries (£120+ each) as they stopped holding charge.. now on top of that all these cars are starting to have loud whining noise from the tensioner on the timing belt and we have changed few already, may be due to constant start stop stress? Not sure, but hate the system. I constantly have it off when driving and don't notice any real increase in consumption.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Despite 'new technology' and all that, I'm not convinced stop / start function does batteries, starter motors & associated gears any good and have turned mine off (Golf but still similar) on engine start for about a year. Uses maybe 4-5MPG more but car seems happier overall, I certainly am....
Last edited by stevereeves on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.