Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by MikeDO »

AndyGTi wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:48 pm .......
@MikeDo Ah, there must be a way to edit your name to spare your blushes (if you have passengers).
You can certainly edit the nickname in the WeConnect mobile app and this change is then reflected in the VW O/L Portal (IE.myVolkswagen). And I had sort of assumed that this then would change in the car when the User info etc. is synchronized next.
But, no it doesn't. Sort of a bit of a bug here I suppose. Not a big issue but there you go. Got to laugh I suppose.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:45 pm Had a call from VW today. They offered me a chance to go in and have a 'consultation' with the sales teams regarding a new car. 7 months away from the Polo GTI being 4 years old.

They kept mentioning being in good equity which I was aware of due to the price of second hand cars. Part of me would like to upgrade to the new model but think I'll be holding out for the Cupra Urban Rebel.

The face lift model has grown on me though! Suppose it would be interesting to see what the offers would be. :)
A ‘consultation’ with a car sales team can be a dangerous thing to do unless you’re ready to change your car, as some sales people can be quite persuasive! 🤣 I’ve always really disliked the whole process of face to face car buying, with the sales person too-ing and fro-ing between you and their sales manager because they don’t have the authority to do the deal you want. Maybe that’s changed now with less discount generally available, although no doubt there are still deals to be done.

I had a ‘we want your car’ letter recently from the VW dealer I use, and that went straight into the recycling bin. Also, when I had my car serviced last month, I waited at the dealers while it was serviced (free coffee courtesy of the dealer) and the sales person I dealt with when I bought it came and had quite a lengthy chat about changing my car. I told them I wasn’t ready to change.

I think most dealers are very keen to get their hands on good quality, good condition used cars that they know they’ll be able to sell. With very long lead times on some new models (e.g. 18 months to 2 years on some performance Golfs 😲), there’s still a shortage of good part exchange vehicles for dealers to put on their forecourts.

The Cupra UrbanRebel is also on my shortlist for next time.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:40 pm
S_94 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:45 pm Had a call from VW today. They offered me a chance to go in and have a 'consultation' with the sales teams regarding a new car. 7 months away from the Polo GTI being 4 years old.

They kept mentioning being in good equity which I was aware of due to the price of second hand cars. Part of me would like to upgrade to the new model but think I'll be holding out for the Cupra Urban Rebel.

The face lift model has grown on me though! Suppose it would be interesting to see what the offers would be. :)
A ‘consultation’ with a car sales team can be a dangerous thing to do unless you’re ready to change your car, as some sales people can be quite persuasive! 🤣 I’ve always really disliked the whole process of face to face car buying, with the sales person too-ing and fro-ing between you and their sales manager because they don’t have the authority to do the deal you want. Maybe that’s changed now with less discount generally available, although no doubt there are still deals to be done.

I had a ‘we want your car’ letter recently from the VW dealer I use, and that went straight into the recycling bin. Also, when I had my car serviced last month, I waited at the dealers while it was serviced (free coffee courtesy of the dealer) and the sales person I dealt with when I bought it came and had quite a lengthy chat about changing my car. I told them I wasn’t ready to change.

I think most dealers are very keen to get their hands on good quality, good condition used cars that they know they’ll be able to sell. With very long lead times on some new models (e.g. 18 months to 2 years on some performance Golfs 😲), there’s still a shortage of good part exchange vehicles for dealers to put on their forecourts.

The Cupra UrbanRebel is also on my shortlist for next time.
That's what's putting me off SRGTD, if they get me through the door I'll end up walking out with a new car. :lol:

I think the GTI's will always hold their value in some regard, especially low mileage and well maintained. Luckily mine is only on 17k after 3 and a half years.

You brought the UrbanRebel to my attention and I'm hopeful that'll be the next car!
phaze8000
New
Drives: 6C Polo GTI Pure White

Post by phaze8000 »

Just had an email saying my Car that was being built on the 19th September is now in transit to the UK. The excitement is building up :)
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

To add to SRGTDs comments, when I looked to change my Tiguan out of curiosity they said the golf and Tiguan, made in Germany, are a struggle at the moment as the batteries came from Russia and the wiring from the Ukraine. So Vladimir is causing the delays on those models potentially. Seem to be plenty of polos arriving now in the uk, so hopefully that’s sorted.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

So for me first time having matrix lights. Quite cool watching the car detecting oncoming vehicles and seeing segments of the main beam switch off and on so not to dazzle. Like it.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:31 am So for me first time having matrix lights. Quite cool watching the car detecting oncoming vehicles and seeing segments of the main beam switch off and on so not to dazzle. Like it.
I presume you have to have your lights on full beam for it to do this? I’ve not tried it yet as I’ve just had my lights on auto, but my old Tiguan used to detect oncoming cars and sim the full beam.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@johnpolo2 @lancslad1985 Yes I am impressed with the Matrix lights. No one has flashed me so it must be doing it right.

You need to tick the Dynamic Light Assist in the menu (or at least I did). Then when you full on full beam either once or twice an "A" will appear inside the Full Beam Headlight symbol on the dashboard. Then as cars pass you will see the light re-appear in the area on your right.

@s_94 No car dealer has ever just asked for anyone to pop in for a chat...they are after your money (and car). No doubt they will tell you how fantastic the new tech is and that you should change as soon as possible.

Ironically I used to be sent these invitations about Exclusive discount and extra discount...book now for the event. I have never received one at anywhere near the appropriate time for me to change my car. Sure enough my local dealer sent me such an invitation 3 weeks before my GTI was being collected, typical. Maybe one day the invite will fall at a time I am looking and I can see how fantastic it really is.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

AndyGTi wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:47 am @s_94 No car dealer has ever just asked for anyone to pop in for a chat...they are after your money (and car). No doubt they will tell you how fantastic the new tech is and that you should change as soon as possible.

Ironically I used to be sent these invitations about Exclusive discount and extra discount...book now for the event. I have never received one at anywhere near the appropriate time for me to change my car. Sure enough my local dealer sent me such an invitation 3 weeks before my GTI was being collected, typical. Maybe one day the invite will fall at a time I am looking and I can see how fantastic it really is.
@AndyGTi; the planets must’ve aligned in my favour when I was thinking about ordering my current car back in Feb 2020. I’d just received one of those VIP invites, so out of curiosity I booked an appointment.

To my surprise, the local VW dealer pretty much matched Drive the Deal’s price, so I ended up getting around 16% discount off list price. There was no pressure to buy paint protection, tyre and alloy insurance or VW branded GAP insurance either (VW’s GAP is horrendously expensive because of their commission mark up) - I’d already told the dealer I didn’t want any of those add-ones.

During the seven months between ordering and taking delivery, used car prices were also going crazy - primarily caused by shortage of good used cars because everything was in Covid lockdown. With this in mind, I got the dealer to re-value my part exchange just before I took delivery of my new car and they upped their original offer considerably. I think it helped that I had kept a close watch of what was happening to used car prices, so the dealer new I’d done my homework.

It’s the only time everything worked in my favour, so if you’re lucky, it can happen. Maybe I should have invested in a lottery ticket at the same time 🙂.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

So my replacement GTI is on the glovis Stella. So if anyones waiting for a polo, it may be keeping mine company.
AnnieGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2022

Post by AnnieGTI »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:29 am So my replacement GTI is on the glovis Stella. So if anyones waiting for a polo, it may be keeping mine company.
How long does it take now? You have more patience than me :)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Should be in Germany within the week, then hopefully in the uk by mid November. I’m only patient as I’ve got my current car until the replacement arrives!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Here's an observation. Compared to my 2019 model the doors, particularly drivers, have a more satisfying clunk as they shut.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I said when I got my current one it just feels better made. Could just be a perception thing, but the doors don’t seem as flimsy, the road noise seems slightly less at 50mph or less and the suspension seems better with pot holes. It feels a more premium product than my 2020 gti plus.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@SRGTD That sounds like a Win Win. with your 2020 experience. Interesting to know they were able to match DtD and then you got added bonus of extra on your part exchange. I got my car with DtD and after the experience would definitely use them again (or equivalent). The thrashing it out with retail dealers (even if they eventually match your offer) is quite tedious and time consuming.

I note Stellantis are looking at Agency model for Alfa Romeo and DS and I know Mercedes & Honda tried that in Australia which didn't go down well with dealers. Wonder if it will creep in further to UK with other manufacturers too. I think simplistically its a model where all the prices are set and dealers just act as test drive centre and then you buy from manufacturer... in other words no discounts from dealer.

Anyway back to Polo...Did I mention that a lorry on a welsh roundabout had very kindly deposited a series of bouncing bits of gravel and I have a very nice chip/mark on the bonnet now. Annoying but i was down to 30-35 and nowhere to go. I need to launch my art career with some careful touching up with some paint before long.

@lanclad1985 Hopefully the days will past quite quickly and you will have your car soon.

@johnpolo2 Interesting you say that as I have been interested with everyone's comments about the quality of pre and post facelift.
I was on the M4 this week and passed a AW GTI and told my passenger to wave, but she didn't not sure if the AW saw me or not.