Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Post by t.small »

I'm set for a brake upgrade but not sure what exactly to go for yet.
I've heard loads of things flying around like EBC and Maxtorq Group N Discs with Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads.

Anyone care to give me a bit of advice?
Cheers!
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread - BRAKES

Post by t.small »

Anybody got an experience with MTEC brakes/heard of them before?
They're a pretty good price on ebay compared to others.
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

just had a little read through your thread dude its looking good so far, just got a question do you still get that clunking noise from your coilovers?
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Joycey wrote:just had a little read through your thread dude its looking good so far, just got a question do you still get that clunking noise from your coilovers?
Cheers bud, yeah I do. Still drives me nuts but I try and ignore it. Doing a bit of research about how to get the rear badge off atm.
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

t.small wrote:
Joycey wrote:just had a little read through your thread dude its looking good so far, just got a question do you still get that clunking noise from your coilovers?
Cheers bud, yeah I do. Still drives me nuts but I try and ignore it. Doing a bit of research about how to get the rear badge off atm.
Just pull em off mate, use some string and cut it off mate. Wet the string and easy pops off.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Managed to get it off now. Heated it with a hair dryer to soften the glue and then got a credit card under it. My god those sticky pads are good. Gonna have to try and get the rest off the car tomorrow when it's light!

Do you know how to separate the chrome VW part of the badge from the backing?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

t.small wrote:Managed to get it off now. Heated it with a hair dryer to soften the glue and then got a credit card under it. My god those sticky pads are good. Gonna have to try and get the rest off the car tomorrow when it's light!

Yeah on the back there are lugs that the chrome badge pop into and there heated on to the black piece I believe. Simply sand down the top of the lug, not all of it and wiggle it off. Pretty sure that's it mate. Then glue the lugs together, job done.
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Trottagti wrote:
t.small wrote:Managed to get it off now. Heated it with a hair dryer to soften the glue and then got a credit card under it. My god those sticky pads are good. Gonna have to try and get the rest off the car tomorrow when it's light!

Yeah on the back there are lugs that the chrome badge pop into and there heated on to the black piece I believe. Simply sand down the top of the lug, not all of it and wiggle it off. Pretty sure that's it mate. Then glue the lugs together, job done.
Cheers for the reply, they're difficult to get to to sand so I just drilled em out. Sprayed and waiting to glue back together. Jobs a good 'un!
Think I'll put a little tutorial up when it's done because I know there's quite a few people on the web asking how it's done much like myself and I'm sure there's others who will want to do it in the future.
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Yeah it's always handy to do DIY guides, glad I could help out bud. Was a while ago that I did mine ha...
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

t.small wrote:
Ive got a feeling its the ta technics coilovers because i get exactly the same thing with mine and ive got ta technics everyone else whos got fk or joms have never heard of the problem, im gonna change mine soon to see if it cures the problem
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Joycey wrote:
t.small wrote:
Ive got a feeling its the ta technics coilovers because i get exactly the same thing with mine and ive got ta technics everyone else whos got fk or joms have never heard of the problem, im gonna change mine soon to see if it cures the problem
Oh really?? That's very interesting. I've been trying to find someone with the same set-up and not many people have them. I was going to change the top mounts over the next few weeks because I'm not sure if it's an issue with the bearing, as it's always when I'm turning. But the coilovers themselves are s**t. Really want to get some FK highsports. Seriously thinking about it. But not sure right now. If you do change yours pretty soon keep me updated about how it goes. Cheers for the post!
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread - UPDATE!

Post by t.small »

Right guys and gals, I know how much you all like to hear and see what's going on and I know I haven't stuck much of any use up here in a while so here goes. Been doing a few bits and bobs to the Polo over the last week.

First thing was the rear badge but I'm gonna be doing a tutorial on that later on in the week as I could barely find any information/had to scrape bits of info together on how to do that on the net here.

Next thing was the brakes.
Painted the rear calipers as they were turning pink! :? And nobody likes pink on their car right?

Decided it was time for an upgrade on my front discs. I knew that my existing ones weren't great and the braking on the Polo isn't brilliant at all.
This is what they looked like when I took the wheels off...

Yeah...not too bad right? That's what I thought....until we took them off and looked at the other side!!!!

Could not believe the state they were in! No wonder braking was awful!

Gave the new disks a lick of paint so they look nice when on and don't go all rusty...

And fitted...

Bedding these in right now, hopefully they will start getting sharper soon!
Getting these put on the rear tomorrow...

:)
Last edited by t.small on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread - Rear Badge Tutorial

Post by t.small »

Okay, so I recently decided to do something with my rear VW badge as the faded grey bits on the backing were starting to annoy me...

I've always liked the chrome so didn't want to change the colour of the VW bit. I originally didn't want to go through the effort of taking the badge off the car so I tried to paint the backing with a touch up kit. This failed miserably as the paint didn't dry in a smooth way, instead it was all rippley and looked even worse...

So I started researching the method of removing the badge and spraying it to give it a much better paint job.
I found dribs and drabs of information (mostly people asking questions of how to do it on Club Polo) online but not a great deal, hence this tutorial to try and put everything together and allow people to see that it really isn't that difficult and to provide some guidelines for anybody who wants to do it in the future.

The rear VW badge is not bolted or held on with any clips, it's purely stuck on with some ridiculously sticky German double sided pad. The best method I found was to heat up the badge with a hair dryer/heat gun (loosen the glue) and try and work it loose with either a lolly pop stick or something similar. I used a debit card which I was just about to shred which was very handy. Dental floss also works well to slip under the badge and almost cut it away from the sticky pad underneath. Then with a bit of tugging the badge should come off. Half of the sticky pad was left on the badge and the other half was stuck on the car. I spent quite a few hours trying to get what was left on the car off. I used the combination of the corner of the debit card, nail varnish remover and T-cut to get it all off in the end.

Badge once off the car: (the awful touch up paint job I did cannot be seen, I'd already sanded down the backing the badge is back together just for picture purposes)

Recess left behind:

Once the badge is off, you can turn it over to see that the chrome VW section is stuck onto the backing and held in place by some plastic rivets which have been melted on. I read somewhere that someone had suggested to melt them off with a soldering iron but I decided this would be too messy so I essentially drilled the tops of them off and slipped a tea spoon between the chrome and the backing to prise the badge apart.

Back of badge drilled:

Before spraying and as I had already attempted to paint it, I had to rub the badge down to take the touch up paint off.

Once nice and smooth I then primed it, sprayed it red followed by a nice coat of lacquer...

I masking taped up the edges of the badge (the rubbery seal) so that these would stay black.

Dried with the tape off:

Now the badge is ready to be put back together:

Instead of using super glue which will become brittle after time, to replace the plastic rivets I used a glue gun:

Badge back together in one piece:

So after cleaning the recess, I marked up with tape the lines that I could see which were left behind by the badge on the boot lid. The edges of the tape would provide me with a guide of where the badge should sit and then I can also check to see if the VW sign is actually straight. To stick the badge back on the car I used Halfords number plate sticky pads which come in a long reel (just like masking tape but not so much width) so I can to cut this into strips and size them in order to fit in the recess:

Finally, the finished piece! :)

Before:

After:

I hope this guide is of some use! :D
Joycey
Bronze Member

Post by Joycey »

t.small wrote:
Oh really?? That's very interesting. I've been trying to find someone with the same set-up and not many people have them. I was going to change the top mounts over the next few weeks because I'm not sure if it's an issue with the bearing, as it's always when I'm turning. But the coilovers themselves are ****. Really want to get some FK highsports. Seriously thinking about it. But not sure right now. If you do change yours pretty soon keep me updated about how it goes. Cheers for the post!
i thought it may be the top mounts, until i saw that you have the same problem with the same coilovers, i'll be looking to get some other coilovers myself next year now so i'll keep an eye on your thread just in case you change yours first
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Okay mate no problem. I was thinking today though, I know you said that TA Technix are crap...apart from that clunking issue I've got to say I'm very impressed with the ride, it's pretty good on my car. Went out in my friends old civic the other day and that is horrendous!