2014 spec. BlueGT finally here :)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ubiquitous-j
Bronze Member

Re: 2014 spec. BlueGT finally here :)

Post by ubiquitous-j »

Hmm I just don't really see what advantage you'd get from a 2.0 TDI, its barely even more economical than the 1.4 TSI and is the same tax band.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

ubiquitous-j wrote:Hmm I just don't really see what advantage you'd get from a 2.0 TDI, its barely even more economical than the 1.4 TSI and is the same tax band.

The polo would be quicker, but the tdi is 9mpg better and with the mileage I do I'd imagine it'd age better too. The ACT is too new to have any high mileage examples. We shall see when I go test driving in a few weeks as it's not all about the economy!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

9mpg won't work out much different once you factor in the price of diesel vs. petrol but I do think the diesel will be more economical overall. The ACT engine is great but unless you get to use much of the ACT it isn't overly good on fuel. It wont suit everyone's style of driving if it's economy you're looking for.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I get the impression that, a bit like stop/start and regenerative braking, ACT is of more benefit on the European test cycle than it is in the real world!
Puggy
New
Drives: 2014 BlueGT

Post by Puggy »

Hi, first post! Having just become a proud owner of one of these 1 week ago I can actually say the ACT does make a dramatic difference to MPG. 14mile commute home I gained 55mpg exactly and on the M60 which has a few rises and drops in gradient usually eats fuel.

I've just switched from a Golf mkVI GT with the 160ps 1.4tsi and fuel economy is noticeably better. It also feels quicker and punchier. I also used normal unleaded on fill up. Will be trying super unleaded as someone recommended on another thread.

After a week I must say I'm mighty impressed! Great little car!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

Same as me, 55mpg is my average on my work run though even in town I can see this or higher! I had a 60mpg average last week on a town run of 3 miles :)

Not fussed on super unleaded myself, though I do find cruise control is heavier on the go-go juice than my right foot as it accelerates harder up hills so knocks ACT off more frequently.

Completely loving the power, such a change from my last car :)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

How on earth do you get any mpg on the m60 puggy? I don't get any until the m61 because it's always crawling along!
Puggy
New
Drives: 2014 BlueGT

Post by Puggy »

This was on a trip home going anti-clockwise getting on from near the M56 and getting off at Denton. It was a pretty clear run due to school holidays. I just check lane flow and always keep a distance to help prevent unnecessary braking. I end up finding it much less stressfull than worrying if someone going to push in.

This is the beauty of the car though, when you can't go fast, its economical. When its clear you can have a bit of fun. I'm just going to experiment with super unleaded. First tank will get me around ~390miles. Have to remember this is with some enthusiastic driving too as its a new car. I'll post with what i find anyway. With that 55mpg to beat i should have a decent test run to compare with.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Ah that's where having a diesel is the opposite - when it's busy it suffers but the minute it's clear the mpg soars up
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

Mine reckons on 440miles to a full tank if I'm nice to it 'mostly' :)
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

Pretty good! I do 300 miles a week just to work and back :( Though my golf does 680 miles a tank on average :D
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

My wife's V40 D2 will do over 700 miles on a full tank (small tank too!) when I use it for work ;) Last week it said we would get 725 miles out of it, I was rather amazed!
antonyquant
New
Drives: POLO BLUEGT 150

Post by antonyquant »

proud to say i've just collected by new 2014 bluegt in black!

I must say i do find myself getting frustrated with the on/off 'eco' mode and how inconsistent it seems to be and i consider myself to be a relatively smooth driver and not heavy on the accelerator. I've only managed to get late 40's and that was driving at 70-75tops but i'm hoping i will get used to the ACT and get it to above 50. It seems to struggle with any sort of incline.

A couple of questions i wanted to ask other 2014 bluegt model owners.

Do you have an annoying safety sticker on both sides of your passenger side visor? I have one on the front and the back where the mirror is? seems odd?

This seems strange but doesn't feel right, when its been raining but stopped and i have started the car and wound the window down, a lot of rain water seems to drip into the car, this doesn't feel right to me? its done it twice now and i've had to wipe all around the inside of the door and the speaker?

Also, it seems the windscreen seems to mist up very frequently, and the only way to stop it is with the AC on? this is misting up really regularly and when the car is at a moderate temperature .... anybody else seen or noticed anything like this...
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

My other half has a 2012 polo (non BlueGT) and both her car, my golf, my dads golf, my mates passat, etc all mist up when it's raining. They also all let water drip in if you put your window down after it's rained. You may also find if you use your rear screenwash it dribbles out afterwards sometimes. They're standard VW issues it seems, but relatively minor compared to previous cars I've had!

How are you liking the black? I haven't seen a black BlueGT yet!
smurftech
New

Post by smurftech »

antonyquant wrote:proud to say i've just collected by new 2014 bluegt in black!

I must say i do find myself getting frustrated with the on/off 'eco' mode and how inconsistent it seems to be and i consider myself to be a relatively smooth driver and not heavy on the accelerator. I've only managed to get late 40's and that was driving at 70-75tops but i'm hoping i will get used to the ACT and get it to above 50. It seems to struggle with any sort of incline.
In 2 cylinder mode it's definitely more econmical but struggles with anything except flat/downhill roads, as soon as you use a bit of acceleration ACT is off. I have found you can come off the accelerator for a second and press it again more gently to 'force' ACT back on, this takes some practice.
My record is 59.6MPG on my 20 mile journey to work mainly downhill on the M66 to Manchester. Usually in the mid 40's on the journey home though, it's mostly uphill and I 'hurry' more!
antonyquant wrote:A couple of questions i wanted to ask other 2014 bluegt model owners.

Do you have an annoying safety sticker on both sides of your passenger side visor? I have one on the front and the back where the mirror is? seems odd?
Nope no stickers there (Early June 2014 BlueGT)
antonyquant wrote:This seems strange but doesn't feel right, when its been raining but stopped and i have started the car and wound the window down, a lot of rain water seems to drip into the car, this doesn't feel right to me? its done it twice now and i've had to wipe all around the inside of the door and the speaker?
Not noticed this and I have been in quite a few rain showers working in Manchester!
antonyquant wrote:Also, it seems the windscreen seems to mist up very frequently, and the only way to stop it is with the AC on? this is misting up really regularly and when the car is at a moderate temperature .... anybody else seen or noticed anything like this...
I have had one occurence of the windscreen misting up - the AC came on by itself. I have also seen the AC turn itself on several times without me touching any of the heating controls...weird.