GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by monty831 »

SRGTD wrote:
monty831 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 am I've got a number of rattles in my new Polo. Drivers door and around speaker area. You can hear it even with music on

Also, I had to get the trim panel replaced (due to ambient light strip had some failed LEDs) and since then, there is a rattle on passenger side by air vent

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
There’s a good chance that interior creaks and rattles will be more likely during the colder months, when the interior plastic trim panels are less flexible. Also, there’s always a risk that other creaks and rattles will happen if interior trim is removed by the dealer, and based on discussions on various forums in the past, they might damage the interior trim and then deny causing the damage!

Quite a few members on other VAG forums have bought themselves a set of trim removal tools and some self adhesive foam strips and tackled interior creaks and rattled themselves. If my car suffered from unwanted interior noises, I’d seriously consider sorting them myself, rather than let the dealer tear out the interior of my car, and possibly make the situation worse.
Thanks for the reply on this. Yes I recall from my days owning a SEAT that owners would do their own fixes as the interior trim was very prone to rattles

A bit disappointed the Polo (at least in my case) suffers just as bad

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

sp_opc
New
Drives: Opel Corsa OPC

Post by sp_opc »

Greetings from Greece!

After 11 years of being a proud owner of an Opel Corsa OPC (or, as you know it, Vauxhall Corsa VXR), and after welcoming my daughter in the family,
it's time to switch to a more 'family friendly' car, mainly because rear access in the OPC is rather difficult due to the lack of rear doors.

My standards for my new vehicle were:
1. Not to be too large (easier to manoeuvre and to park in Athens)
2. Auto or DCT gearbox (easier to cope with city traffic :D )
3. Nice looks
4. Adequate handling
5. Tech like ACC, changing suspension softness, etc
5. At least 200ps!

So, I decided to go for the Polo GTI+ , which I ordered in mid December and I can't wait for it to arrive!!

Reading around the forum I found some very useful stuff, I have some questions though:
VW states that the boot space of the GTI is 305lt, whereas the other Polos have a boot space of 350lt.
Is the 305lt measured with the boot floor in the upper position?
Without the spare wheel and the Beats audio subwoofer, isn't it possible to lower the boot floor to the lower
level, thus having the space that the other Polos have?
Having checked a (1.0-115ps) Polo in the dealer, it didn't seem to me that the boot space is THAT
larger than my OPC's (285lt), and surely not larger than my father's Megane RS (330lt). Am I right
or is just a misconception of mine?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ You are right in your assumption about 305L boot space corresponding to the boot floor being in the upper position. You can't lower it for the GTI as the battery is uniquely in the boot.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

sp_opc wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:59 pm Reading around the forum I found some very useful stuff, I have some questions though:
VW states that the boot space of the GTI is 305lt, whereas the other Polos have a boot space of 350lt.
Without the spare wheel and the Beats audio subwoofer, isn't it possible to lower the boot floor to the lower
Having checked a (1.0-115ps) Polo in the dealer, it didn't seem to me that the boot space is THAT
larger than my OPC's (285lt), and surely not larger than my father's Megane RS (330lt). Am I right
The UK brochure for the Polo states that the maximum luggage capacity for the Polo with the rear seats in place is;
  • GTI / GTI+; 305 litres; boot floor in the upper position. As monkeyhanger has said, the location of the battery prevents the boot floor being lowered in the GTI and GTI+.
  • All other Polo models; 351 litres - this would be with the boot floor in the lower position
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 pm
sp_opc wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:59 pm Reading around the forum I found some very useful stuff, I have some questions though:
The UK brochure for the Polo states that the maximum luggage capacity for the Polo with the rear seats in place is;
  • GTI / GTI+; 305 litres; boot floor in the upper position. As monkeyhanger has said, the location of the battery prevents the boot floor being lowered in the GTI and GTI+.
  • All other Polo models; 351 litres - this would be with the boot floor in the lower position
My Golf 6 had 280 litres of space with full spare alloy wheel. It looks bigger then the Polo GTI 305 litres.

Just about managed to fit this box.
Attachments
C2A77509-C8F3-4712-ABD3-4C513B5EAF78.jpeg
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

green justin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 pm
My Golf 6 had 280 litres of space with full spare alloy wheel. It looks bigger then the Polo GTI 305 litres.

Hi Justin. I had a mk7 golf from launch and all the reviews said the mk7 had 30 litres more boot space than the 6. As the 7 had 380L that would make 350 for the 6. That would explain why the boot is larger than the polo gti as it’s only 305L.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:50 pm
green justin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi Justin. I had a mk7 golf from launch and all the reviews said the mk7 had 30 litres more boot space than the 6. As the 7 had 380L that would make 350 for the 6. That would explain why the boot is larger than the polo gti as it’s only 305L.
Yes, the mk6 Golf luggage capacity with the rear seats up was 350 litres (mk6 Golf R had less luggage capacity - 275 litres - because of the space taken up by the rear drivetrain under the floor). Link to mk6 Golf brochure - luggage capacity details on page 46;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/cont ... n_2012.pdf
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 pm [quote=lancslad1985 post_id=564658 time=<a href="tel:1578174643">1578174643</a> user_id=15903]
[quote="green justin" post_id=564654 time=<a href="tel:1578171013">1578171013</a> user_id=28412]
[quote=SRGTD post_id=564611 time=<a href="tel:1578093850">1578093850</a> user_id=22543]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, the mk6 Golf luggage capacity with the rear seats up was 350 litres (mk6 Golf R had less luggage capacity - 275 litres - because of the space taken up by the rear drivetrain under the floor). Link to mk6 Golf brochure - luggage capacity details on page 46;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/cont ... n_2012.pdf
[/quote]

The Golf 6 TSI SE/ comfortline in South Africa spec had a 16inch Cleveland wheel with conti sport 2 tyre in the boot with a tray which had tools and Jack.It was a nice feature but extra weight and waste of a good tyre.
The GTI had the space saver spare which gave it 350 liters.
sp_opc
New
Drives: Opel Corsa OPC

Post by sp_opc »

Thanks for the quick replies!

Though, while searching on the topic, I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEop8G1hJg&t=131s,
where the reviewer (at 1:35 - 1:45) places the boot floor in the lower position in a Polo GTI (without spare wheel and sub),
despite the battery being placed in the spare wheel well.

So, is it safe to assume that the GTI does actually have the same boot space as the rest of the Polo range??
green justin
Bronze Member

Post by green justin »

sp_opc wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm Thanks for the quick replies!

Though, while searching on the topic, I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEop8G1hJg&t=131s,
where the reviewer (at 1:35 - 1:45) places the boot floor in the lower position in a Polo GTI (without spare wheel and sub),
despite the battery being placed in the spare wheel well.

So, is it safe to assume that the GTI does actually have the same boot space as the rest of the Polo range??
Great video,

I have a safety pack from the dealer, my tyres was added with a tyre sealant solution which seals a puncture at speeds of up to 250km/h. 6mm diameter puncture and under 4x the max load.
No flat tyre as per the warranty.

I have to wonder if I really need a spare? Side wall damage is a problem.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

"GTI / GTI+; 305 litres; boot floor in the upper position. As monkeyhanger has said, the location of the battery prevents the boot floor being lowered in the GTI and GTI+"

Not actually true.
I took a look the other day.
I removed my spare wheel.
The spindle that locates the spare wheel is detachable. It slides out of position and can be removed.
Once out of the way this provides sufficient clearance to be able to lower the boot floor panel into the lower position thus expanding your boot capacity.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

peeceeuk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:32 am "GTI / GTI+; 305 litres; boot floor in the upper position. As monkeyhanger has said, the location of the battery prevents the boot floor being lowered in the GTI and GTI+"

Not actually true.
I took a look the other day.
I removed my spare wheel.
The spindle that locates the spare wheel is detachable. It slides out of position and can be removed.
Once out of the way this provides sufficient clearance to be able to lower the boot floor panel into the lower position thus expanding your boot capacity.
I wouldn’t want to travel without a spare wheel though. I’m a great believer of ‘Sod’s Law’, so if I did remove my spare, it’s almost a certainty I’d get a puncture and need need it! 😁
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

There is that.
I was curious about whether the rear mounted battery would really be a reason why you couldn't lower the boot floor.
Turns out that it isn't.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

peeceeuk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am There is that.
I was curious about whether the rear mounted battery would really be a reason why you couldn't lower the boot floor.
Turns out that it isn't.
I'm surprised there's enough room, but either way, I wouldn't be without a spare for an extra 2" depth floor space. Having the spare there gives the battery a bit of ventilation room and possibly the steel wheel clamped down around it acts as a protective cage in the event of a bad rear shunt.

I make the most of the dead space under the raised floor. I have a proper telescopic wheel brace with a smooth socket for the wheel nut rather than the awful cast brace that comes with the car and has lots of rough edges to scrape the bolt hole interior of your wheel. I also have a litre of oil, a tyre compressor, torch and more bags for life than I could ever use in my lifetime!

I've never found a need yet for the extra space that the dropped floor gives. Similar set up in the Golf R I used to have - the rear Haldex box and wheel stopped you lowering the floor.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:54 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am There is that.
Turns out that it isn't.
I'm surprised there's enough room, but either way, I wouldn't be with a spare for an extra 2" depth floor space. Having the spare there gives the battery a bit of ventilation room and possibly the steel wheel clamped down around it acts as a protective cage in the event of a bad rear shunt.

I make the most of the dead space under the raised floor. I have a proper telescopic wheel brace with a smooth socket for the wheel nut rather than the awful cast brace that comes with the car and has lots of rough edges to scrape the bolt hole interior of your wheel. I also have a litre of oil, a tyre compressor, torch and more bags for life than I could ever use in my lifetime!

I've never found a need yet for the extra space that the dropped floor gives. Similar set up in the Golf R I used to have - the rear Haldex box and wheel stopped you lowering the floor.
I also find the space under the raised floor in my previous generation GTI really useful for storing much of the same items, which leaves the boot free of clutter for daily duties.