GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
fuster
New
Drives: A blue one

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by fuster »

Got my GTI+ early February after coming from a Golf R.

Initial impressions were positive. However have the following issues:-

1. Loud humming noise when reversing. Dealer appointment booked
2. Slight difficulty in closing the boot.
3. Annoyingly loud windscreen wipers. Sorted by switching to Bosch ones.

Still a great car though and saved a bit of cash by getting a used one:-)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

fuster wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 am Got my GTI+ early February after coming from a Golf R.

Initial impressions were positive. However have the following issues:-

1. Loud humming noise when reversing. Dealer appointment booked
2. Slight difficulty in closing the boot.
3. Annoyingly loud windscreen wipers. Sorted by switching to Bosch ones.

Still a great car though and saved a bit of cash by getting a used one:-)
Welcome to the forum @fuster.

1. Covered at great length in the discussion thread at the link below;
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72392

2. Some other forum members have had this - most recently discussed in this very discussion thread on the previous page. Note that adjustments to boot and door catches are only covered under warranty for the first 6 months / 6,500 miles, so best to get the dealer to sort it a.s.a.p.

3. Polo owners on the forum have experienced juddering wipers - not sure too many have had issues with noisy wipers. Changing the wiper blades seem to have cured the juddering for some. Thoroughly cleaning the screen can also help improve or eliminate the issue too.
cdsound
New
Drives: 2020 GTI+

Post by cdsound »

Hey **ENGINE WONT START**

So Tuesday (3rd March) I pulled into a service station and pulled up to the lovely Audi RSQ3 in front of me. Got out of the car and noticed I had overshot the space into his. Jumped back in the car to start it and ...... nothing, just a faint relay click.

After trying three times, event though I knew it wasn’t going to turn on, the EPC light came on.

I went into the services for 15mins and came back to the car for it to do it once again.

I called VW breakdown and the technician tested the usual, battery and ECU then the Starter Motor.
It was receiving the correct charge but not functioning. He diagnosed a faulty/dead starter and got it recovered.

I’ve spoken to my VW garage today and they’ve said the car is completely fine, was driven off the transporter when delivered and they can’t fault it nor any codes have been logged..

I understand the starter motor isn’t an online component on the car, capable of storing data of its performance or faults, but how could this have happened?

Any help is gratefully welcome
Connor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

So, the polo to replace my rejected polo gti+ finally arrived at the dealers mid March after a 5 month wait.
I was supposed to pick it up a few days after going along and inspecting it.
Unfortunately the whole virus thing kicked in and now a bit of an unknown.
To top it off my partner has decided she doesn’t want it now.
We was supposed to be part exchanging a Golf R in against it and going down to one car.
That’s all out the window now. I got the impression she didn’t like it when we went along to look at it.
The Golf has got to go soon as circumstances have forced a change.
In a bit of a fuddle what to buy now.
The polo is definitely a no no. :cry:
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Polo monster wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 pm So, the polo to replace my rejected polo gti+ finally arrived at the dealers mid March after a 5 month wait.
We was supposed to be part exchanging a Golf R in against it and going down to one car.
That’s all out the window now. I got the impression she didn’t like it when we went along to look at it.
Why doesn't she want it now? Due to the experience of the first one? Did she never really want the Polo? Or is there a bit of badge snobbery going on and she'd rather have a Golf or BMW 1 series?

What was the first one rejected for again?

I came from a Golf R to a Polo GTI+ (and my wife got the R for a while until we got a second Polo GTI+). I was able to drive both at the same time and honestly preferred the Polo. Aside from the cheaper door cards and not having the electronic hand brake, the Polo feels every bit as plush as the Golf.

The Polo GTI is more entertaining to drive - the R delivers speed with a lot of sterility. I was a bit bored with my R. I had no pressure to get rid of it as I owned it outright, but it was an easy decision to get rid of the R for another Polo GTI+ and the missus likes it more than the Golf too.

With the new MK8 Golf getting beaten with the ugly stick and the 1 series being a lit less ugly, if I were wanting a new R equivalent, I'd buy an M135. BMW won't make you wait an eternity for one either (I waited 8.5 months for my R!).

No matter what car you get, it can have issues. Wolfsburg built Golfs have been the least reliable of the 11 VWs I have owned. My R had a turbo replaced, the clutch slipped a few times in very cold weather, and the manual box was never right with a gritty shift and occasional reluctance to go into certain gears that 3 VW dealerships said was normal - and there was plenty more minor stuff besides.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

As this is a replacement for a rejection you must have been through a tough legal battle to start with? I’m not sure how you can reject again in this situation without having to accept the car now? How are you planning to reject the car for a second time. Have you taken legal advice as I imagine this won’t be an easy conversation with the dealer or VW finance if you have it?
Polo monster
New
Drives: R Line DSG 115

Post by Polo monster »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 am
Polo monster wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 pm So, the polo to replace my rejected polo gti+ finally arrived at the dealers mid March after a 5 month wait.
Why doesn't she want it now? Due to the experience of the first one? Did she never really want the Polo? Or is there a bit of badge snobbery going on and she'd rather have a Golf or BMW 1 series?

What was the first one rejected for again?

I came from a Golf R to a Polo GTI+ (and my wife got the R for a while until we got a second Polo GTI+). I was able to drive both at the same time and honestly preferred the Polo. Aside from the cheaper door cards and not having the electronic hand brake, the Polo feels every bit as plush as the Golf.

The Polo GTI is more entertaining to drive - the R delivers speed with a lot of sterility. I was a bit bored with my R. I had no pressure to get rid of it as I owned it outright, but it was an easy decision to get rid of the R for another Polo GTI+ and the missus likes it more than the Golf too.

With the new MK8 Golf getting beaten with the ugly stick and the 1 series being a lit less ugly, if I were wanting a new R equivalent, I'd buy an M135. BMW won't make you wait an eternity for one either (I waited 8.5 months for my R!).

No matter what car you get, it can have issues. Wolfsburg built Golfs have been the least reliable of the 11 VWs I have owned. My R had a turbo replaced, the clutch slipped a few times in very cold weather, and the manual box was never right with a gritty shift and occasional reluctance to go into certain gears that 3 VW dealerships said was normal - and there was plenty more minor stuff besides.
I originally had an R line polo, and part exchanged it in as I have been changing cars every year.
I really liked it, a lot, more so than the Golf R and agree with Monkeyhanger, hence why I stepped up to the GTi+.
I’m not a fan boy of any brand and have had a lot of cars through my hands (too many really), and mostly poor dealer experience has forced me to change manufacturer.
To cut a long story short, the Gti+ was a pig with a serious safety defect (Along with other minor defects), where the dealer or VW didn’t have a leg to stand on with concerns to my rights as a consumer.
I only owned it for less than 24 hours, and dumped it back on there door step.
I had a choice to walk away or order another one, so I reordered.
As I looked at the current market choice then, the polo is the only car that suited my needs and gave best bang for my buck.
In the 5 months of waiting for it, I’ve realized I don’t need a car, I had the option of use of a car from the dealer but kindly declined. A second car was a total waste of cash and an unnecessary luxury.
Circumstances have changed (not financially), and we also don’t need a car like the Golf R anymore either, the fuel consumption is ridiculous, but up to now the Golf has been reliable and suited needs when we bought it.
It has been the longest I have ever kept a car (over 3 years) but things change and a car like that isn’t required now.
I also worry about big bills as it ages as well, as the R is a fairly complicated car.
The polo Gti (as it was already on order) seemed like a good idea to now become the main car, but the wife thinks otherwise and wasn’t impressed with it.
Snobbery? Haha, Yeah probably, a bit, not in my eyes but in real terms going from a Golf to a polo is probably seen as a step back.
The dealer has been very understanding and I have the option to walk away, albeit with some small financial loss (kept evidence to prove what they agreed to).
I have relooked at what else is on the market and there is not much else about, nothing that floats my boat without spending lots of needless cash anyway.
We need a car, the Polo as I have said is a apparently a no no. So might be walking everywhere soon. :lol:
Oh dear. :roll:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ Do you own the R outright, or have you got a balloon payment on PCP to cover if you keep it?

I didn't find my R too thirsty around the doors (although I have always found 6 speed DSG 10% thirstier than 6 speed manual, and I had a manual). On the motorway, the low gearing make it thirsty on a long run, but I averaged 33mpg in mine overall.

If you were to keep the R, the difference between fuelling it and a Polo GTI are pretty small in the grand scheme of things, compared to depreciation/starting a new PCP. If you're doing 10k miles a year, you'll be lucky if there's £500 a year between the Polo and the R, and half of that is the fact that RON99 fuel costs more.

My R's turbo went at 6 months old, the actuator just stopped actuating. If yours is DSG then the 6 speed wet clutch box is pretty reliable, they fail early on (within warranty) if they're going to fail at all - my Dad has done in excess of 150k miles each on 2 DSG Golf performance diesels without issue and is up to 110k miles in his MK7 GTD DSG. I might've just kept our R if the gearbox issue had been acknowledged and resolved - it bugged me to a small extent the whole time I had it, from new to 46 months old.

VWs aren't remarkably reliable from new but most things fail early, well within warranty, especially on the mechanical front.

I mentioned snobbery because my wife insisted on a mid range Audi A1 for her first car when she could've had something better with a lesser badge. When we got rid, the residuals weren't all they were cracked up to be either. She's happy enough with a Polo GTI+ now and enjoys the lazy use of DSG, but misses R traction.
Manny550
New
Drives: POLO GTI+, GOLF R MK7, POLO GTI+ OPF.

Post by Manny550 »

Been reading this forum for months now so decided to sign up, so hello everyone hope your well and staying safe during this current crisis :D .

Ive picked up my polo gti+ in November last year in a 18 plate in pearl black and have to say its an amazing all round car. Its obviously the pre-opf car so is louder than the newer gti's. I find the engine fantastic as I'm already familiar with the ea888 engine and the dsg box is amazing also. I have the 17" alloys as it was a used car so did not spec the car myself and find it loses traction quite often if I try put my throttle down even slightly but I've ordered some ps4 to help which ill fit after this lockdown obviously (standard tyres were the primacy 3 which were very good but mine were changed to bridgestones by previous owner).

My main car is a golf r mk7 dsg in lapiz blue on a 66 plate fully loaded with all options as I got it brand new, I do find the polo much more fun to drive but like I said it loses traction a lot more but I do find this more entertaining to drive, where as the golf r is just up and go. If I had the option to choose between the golf r and the polo gti+ id choose the gti just as its cheeper to run and is less to buy. My brother bought a polo gti+ after driving mine but his is a 69 plate opf car and is a lot quieter and doesn't feel as fast compared to the pre-opf as we have both established after driving both back to back. Over any other cars within the price point of the gti I don't think you can get a better all rounder that does everything and doesn't break the bank as even the tank is around £40 to fill depending on how much petrol is left, I normally don't let the fuel light come on and only use momentum as both r and gti prefer it (also find better response and louder dsg pops and crackles in both cars!). Not had any problem with my gti except the rear wiper makes quite a lot of noise when used and when reversing slowly it makes a loud noise from the rear tyre/brake section of the car but will get this checked once this crisis is over.

The polo gti+ also comes very well specced, my pre opf has the wireless charging option which is handy, but I feel the only option id personally spec is heated seats and sun roof. if anyone thinking of buying one id really recommend a gti+.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

When you say pre and post opf cars don’t feel as fast is that because it’s quieter and is your brothers car as run in as yours? Figures don’t look any different on tech specs but I’m wondering if it’s the top end of rev range where opf may be more restrictive?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:51 am When you say pre and post opf cars don’t feel as fast is that because it’s quieter and is your brothers car as run in as yours? Figures don’t look any different on tech specs but I’m wondering if it’s the top end of rev range where opf may be more restrictive?
I've got a 2018 and 2019 GTI+ in my household. I can say with certainty that the 2018.model with no GPF is not only louder, with more pops and louder DSG farts, but is far livelier in the mid range. I can feel the difference when I go between my (2018) car and my wife's (2019).

I've seen dynos of 2018 and 2019 model GTI+ around (mainly on YouTube showing before/after remapping. The dyno curves show that the 2018 models make more torque than the 2019 models and peak power is seen earlier in the rev range. The 2018.models are generally making a reported 210ps and 370Nm. The 2019 models are making about 210ps too, but only 340Nm. That extra 30Nm and peak power coming in earlier is more useful in everyday use. It's not worth wringing a 2018 model beyond 5500rpm, but for a 2019 model it might be worth taking it further before changing up under hard accekeration.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Blimey that’s a big torque difference. I’d better not drive a pre opf when I get mine as I guess what you don’t know you don’t miss. I noticed that the WLTP figures show a significant uplift in co2 compared to before so I imagine opf has stopped it getting even higher?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:26 am Blimey that’s a big torque difference. I’d better not drive a pre opf when I get mine as I guess what you don’t know you don’t miss. I noticed that the WLTP figures show a significant uplift in co2 compared to before so I imagine opf has stopped it getting even higher?
Are you sure you're not comparing 2018 model NEDC test CO2 and fuel economy figures to 2019 model WLTP test figures? Like-for-like, WLTP figures are higher than NEDC figures because the WLTP testing regime is a little more representative of real life, with a higher average test speed for the test cycle, having a section that's representative of mitorway/highway driving.
Ima
Bronze Member

Post by Ima »

Yes I was comparing NEDC to WLTP but just thought the GPF would reduce particulates and help with the co2 figures irrespective of testing regimen? I’ve no clear understanding of if the GPF will actually help though?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Ima wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:18 am Yes I was comparing NEDC to WLTP but just thought the GPF would reduce particulates and help with the co2 figures irrespective of testing regimen? I’ve no clear understanding of if the GPF will actually help though?
That captured soot will be combusted into CO2 during regeneration, so no savings - unless VW were to ensure that the car would not regenerate while obtaining those official CO2 figures under test (surely not! :lol: ).

Particulates aren't CO2 or considered as such, they're incompletely burnt hydrocarbons (mainly carbon and timy amounts of impurities). You could argue that the pre-WLTP Polo is emitting less CO2 because less of the fuel it is burning becomes carbon dioxide and water. Not worth worrying about though, the amount of soit produced per mile travelled is tiny. People seem to be undergoing GPF regen no more frequently than every 400 miles, and usually much less frequently than that. So you're talking maybe a gram of soot (working capacity of a typical GPF, much less soot generated than a diesel car) every 400miles worst case. For a GTI doing 35mpg, that's 2.5mg per mile and 0.005% of fuel burnt ending up as soot. A tiny amount not worth worrying about.