Swap GTi plus for an electric VW

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: Swap GTi plus for an electric VW

Post by barrywi »

The stuff you have is just a heavy duty connection from the fuse/breaker box/ meter connected to a safety breaker and then by an electric cooker sized cable to the charging box.
If you imagine electricity as a wave going up and down 50 times a second there are times when it is at zero and times when it peaks. The higher the peaks, the higher the voltage. What three phase does is superimpose three waves on top of each other in sequence so that there Is no time when the volts is zero so getting more energy out of the supply. How they achieve this is probably by magic but the multi thousand volt overhead transmission cables are three phase for maximum efficency so I imagine for domestic use they split the three phases in some way and just let a house have one phase, as that is more than adequate for domestic use. A larger place like a car dealership/ garage would have a three phase supply coming in with some large electrical machinery using all three phases but normal sockets using just one phase. Three phase circuits would have special connectors like the 22 kw charger.
I hope this is correct because my brain now hurts. :D
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Just watched a Jonny Smith video of him doing 0-60 in the Audi e-tron.
Around 5.7 seconds.
But, of course, the beauty is no drama at all.
No launch control to set up, no engine sitting at X revs to get max thrust.
Just boot 'er up.
The ease of which you can launch an electric car is very addictive, you end up using max acceleration all the time just because it's so easy.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:24 pm Just watched a Jonny Smith video of him doing 0-60 in the Audi e-tron.
Around 5.7 seconds.
But, of course, the beauty is no drama at all.
No launch control to set up, no engine sitting at X revs to get max thrust.
Just boot 'er up.
The ease of which you can launch an electric car is very addictive, you end up using max acceleration all the time just because it's so easy.
I would love to know how much range we can actually get out of our 94Ah i3 but as soon as the lights turn green, whoooosh every time, I can't help myself!! :mrgreen:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Griff74 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 pm I would love to know how much range we can actually get out of our 94Ah i3 but as soon as the lights turn green, whoooosh every time, I can't help myself!! :mrgreen:
Yup.
I used to see an i3 driver quite regularly at lights on a three lane road home.
I'd be in lane 1, waiting to turn left further down the road, he'd be in lane 3 waiting to turn right.
We'd both often shoot away from the lights, leaving the poor ICE driver in the middle floundering.
Of course, if the ICE driver were to really try we wouldn't have it so easy, but not many ICE drivers can be bothered revving the paps off their car and slipping the clutch etc.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

barrywi, I'll not mention Star and or Delta then - I needed to ask for more than a few 100Amp 3Ph+N+E supplies when I worked, and suffer the annoyance of some old equipment had used/needed 32Amp 3Ph+N+E and some that used/needed 3Ph+E outlets.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

No ,please dont mention that....oh you did!
I did an electrical safety course at work once we used to work with electrical generators in vehicles parked outside houses and we spent hours discussing the merits of using earthing points or not. I think we gave up after three hours!
I also remember doing a video in a tank factory and plugging a camera battery charger into a convenient 13 amp socket on a bench. The charger just hummed a lot, the workers smiled knowingly and I pulled the plug out very quickly. Still do not know what sort of electricity was coming out of the socket, but it was not 240 volts ac!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Our supply of choice was 200V P-P 400Hz as used on military aircraft, with nasty alloy plugs that got dinged easily and if forced back in the alloy wall outlet could result in some poor idiot ending up with the plug still connected to its socket innards and still live when pulling the dinged plug out! I think that things have now changed for the better.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

VW Polo Forum Movie Review; was discussing electric / hybrids with a pal and he reminded me of a movie we saw recently; Project Almanac. A bunch of high school kids discover one of their dead fathers was working on a time machine (happens all the time) and they finish up building such a time-hopping device from an XBOX360 (as you do). Anyhoo, forget the details, but they needed a 'quickly rechargable & high voltage or amperage power source' and decide a classmates' electric car (forget the make) would do the trick. So they 'allow' her to park in their drive to connect very many extension leads to it in order 'borrow' power from her car, at least they permit her to join their time-travelling butterfly effect-altering adventures when she discovers what they used her car for. Just thought I'd add that....
Last edited by stevereeves on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

stevereeves wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm VW Polo Forum Movie Review; was discussing electric / hybrids with a pal and he reminded me of a movie we saw recently; Project Almanac. A bunch of high school kids discover one of their dead fathers was working on a time machine (happens all the time) and they finish up building such a time-hopping device from an XBOX360 (as you do). Anyhoo, forget the details, but they needed a 'quickly rechargable & high voltage or amperage power source' and decide a classmates' electric car (forget the make) would do the trick. So they 'allow' her to park in their drive in order connect very many extension leads to it in order 'borrow' power from her car, at least they permit her to join their time-travelling butterfly effect-altering adventures when she discovers what they used her car for. Just thought I'd add that....
People have used their Leafs for house power when they've had power cuts.
God knows how, but I'm sure they've done it.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

The movie came out in 2105 so they could well used a Nissan Leaf, one of the earliest electric cars available I believe. It's bound to be shown again, the use of an electric car to power the time machine scene is pretty early in the movie....
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:25 am The movie came out in 2105 so they could well used a Nissan Leaf, one of the earliest electric cars available I believe. It's bound to be shown again, the use of an electric car to power the time machine scene is pretty early in the movie....
In the year 2105, that Nissan Leaf must be a classic car.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:01 am
stevereeves wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:25 am The movie came out in 2105 so they could well used a Nissan Leaf, one of the earliest electric cars available I believe. It's bound to be shown again, the use of an electric car to power the time machine scene is pretty early in the movie....
"In the year 2525...", my bad, meant movie came out in 2015 it's set in the present day. Staying off subject a tad longer, I hear Bohemian Rhapsody is brilliant....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The new little Honda EV is causing quite a stir in EV world.....
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:20 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:01 am
"In the year 2525...", my bad, meant movie came out in 2015 it's set in the present day. Staying off subject a tad longer, I hear Bohemian Rhapsody is brilliant....
I have a reasonably expensive home cinema with surround sound to avoid having to go to the cinema . Being able to pause movies is an essential bonus so I do not miss anything when I. need a coffee or a pee.
I pre order 4 K discs from Amazon and Bohemian Rhapsody is due to drop through the letter box any day now. The critics slated the movie but the public love it and the sound is supposed to be excellent. Getting the disc delays when you can watch movies but is better quality picture and sound in my house compared with our local cinemas.
Sorry to go even further off topic. Back to the Future of electric cars soon if you pardon the play on a movie title. :D
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:22 pm The new little Honda EV is causing quite a stir in EV world.....
Yes it looks very cute and stylish , but it is still a bit pricy at £30000 . I wonder how the VW iD will compare in range and price. I have seen no leaks of the price yet but it should be available by late this year so the prices should be announced soon . Maybe at the Geneva motor show which starts soon?