GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
JoJo Well
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019 (GPF)

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by JoJo Well »

I have to add that this problem occurs on any giver gear on manual mode (and sticking on the same gear without changing up or down).
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

JoJo Well wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm I have to add that this problem occurs on any giver gear on manual mode (and sticking on the same gear without changing up or down).
Even in manual mode, the DSG box requires thinking time (to decide whether that change is allowable within self preservation parameters e.g. asking for 1st if you're doing 40mph is a no-no) when you request a change via the paddles or gearstick, and requires time to make the change.

The DSG box's logic always has the final say.- in what it will or won't do.

This is the downside for DSG. It can predict what you will want to happen next 9 times out of 10. That 1 in 10 time it doesn't is highly annoying though, and usually when you most need a split second reaction e.g. overtaking opportunity.

If you're in 6th at 40mph and want to accelerate to 70mph because that big slow juggernaut got out of the outside lane, if you're in a manual you can do 6>3 in less than a second and be away.

On a DSG, the car's in 6th on the evens box and the odds has 5th ready - very quick downshift to 5th, but evens then has to find 4th (which takes about 0.7s), as soon as evens box finds 4th, odds box has to find 3rd (another 0.7s) - all in about 1.4s, but it feels much slower because you're waiting for it to happen rather than doing (like you would in a manual).

I do seem to find that in manual mode there's less feathering in/slipping the clutches for comfort on the gear changes, although it does still happen to an extent (presumably self-preservation, minimising clutch wear).

For 0-62 times, DSG is a benefit, for off the cuff downshifting more than 1 gear, it's a bit slower than a manual.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

JoJo Well wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:45 pm Hi everyone,
I bought 3 months ago a brand new Polo GTI. Drove it for about 2100 kms (1300 miles) now, and my major gripe is about the engine.
I know this is a high efficiency engine (aka buddack cycle), but when driving at steady pace (let's stay between 2000 and 3500 rpm), if I push the throttle pedal to accelerate, there is a lag (or kind of a hickup) that lasts around 1/2 sec to a second before the engine revs up.
Even my old MK5 Golf TDI 140 was more responsive when pushing the right pedal...
Did you guys experience the same phenomenon ?
Is it caused by necessary time to switch from one cam profile to another ?
Thanks
You need a pedal booster to reduce the so called lag or waiting time before the engine responds.
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Post by brynteg73 »

I find that first start for mine in the morning the engine whines quite a bit for a minute or so, then calms down and i can drive off .

Also last few days i have had a few people asking if it was the new golf mk8 Gti :lol: