New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by monkeyhanger »

Did a similiar thing (keyless range experimentation) on Weds evening (again, in the rain) and commentex on it somewhere here. Car locks itself after time/distance. I walked 80 yards to pick the kids up from where I was parked before it locked itself sometime later - that's quite a distance for key range. However, last night, applying sealant, I had the key on me and rubbed the door handle with the sealant cloth. The door unlocked and, as I didn't get in the car, it locked itself after 2 mins. It may just lock up unless you accidentally open it (as I did). Not sure about the school/80 yards thing. Did it time out after x seconds of the key being out of range and lock the car because it thinks I forgot?

If so, how do you get it to stay unlocked if you want it to stay unlocked? Press the unlock button on the key after exiting the car perhaps?

I can confirm through experimentation that if you lock the car, you can't unlock it again if the key is more than 3 yards from the car.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

monkeyhanger wrote:Did a similiar thing (keyless range experimentation) on Weds evening (again, in the rain) and commentex on it somewhere here. Car locks itself after time/distance. I walked 80 yards to pick the kids up from where I was parked before it locked itself sometime later - that's quite a distance for key range. However, last night, applying sealant, I had the key on me and rubbed the door handle with the sealant cloth. The door unlocked and, as I didn't get in the car, it locked itself after 2 mins. It may just lock up unless you accidentally open it (as I did). Not sure about the school/80 yards thing. Did it time out after x seconds of the key being out of range and lock the car because it thinks I forgot?

If so, how do you get it to stay unlocked if you want it to stay unlocked? Press the unlock button on the key after exiting the car perhaps?

I can confirm through experimentation that if you lock the car, you can't unlock it again if the key is more than 3 yards from the car.
Keyless range is normally very limited so I imagine it knows you have switched the engine off and opened/closed the drivers door. If nobody is detected inside, it must lock after a couple of mins.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

After going out in all that rain, to test if the car works with the keys still in the hallway. "Barrywi" can now be contacted at his local hospital in the chest infection ward, Get well soon Barry :D
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I think if you open a door after unlocking it will stay unlocked..cough cough!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:58 pm I think if you open a door after unlocking it will stay unlocked..cough cough!
Mine closed on its own after driving to school and exiting the car, then walking 80 yards. Maybe it does it if certain criteria are met:-

1. The key is not in the car (not in keyless range), so you don't lock it in the car.

2. No bums on seats (sensors in front seats to make sure you have your seatbelt on when driving to do this).

3. Not sure if interior alarm protection is motion/ sound based, but either could confirm almost certainly that there's no-one in the car with nothing detected over a few mins.

If you unlock the car but don't open the door, it locks itself back up after about a minute.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

An apology!
After loads of winges about there being no sat nav instruction book with the car I have found some.
In the multimedia white book there are about 6 pages about the sat nav. Hardly a comprehensive book but it gives you the basics. I have drawn a plan on a sheet of paper to remind me what the options are and left it in then car.
Shame I have just emailed VW about there being no information, but never mind they deserve being moaned at.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Today we ventured a little further in the GTI+ than my commute.

Took a trip to Beamish (26 miles), put my foot down a few times on the way there (like when the A1 goes from 50 to 70 before the incline to the Angel of the North), and got 40mpg (twice the distance no more frugal than the commute - more motorway speeds over the journey). The beaming sun made the Flash Red glow - didn't take any pics as the car has been targeted by the local seagulls for a few drips. They'll slide straight off with the sealant. On the way home from Beamish, we diverted to Gateshead Costco on the way - almost exclusively 50mph roads for the 12 miles and the car averaged 45mpg for the journey. For the remaining 14 miles home, that averaged dropped back down to 40mpg. The wife hates the noise associated with the car knocking all the way down to 2nd when you hoof it from 30 - 80, knocking down from 4th to 2nd, holding onto 2nd to 55mph, changing to 3rd and holding 3rd from 55 until over 80, i'd estimate about 85, but never took it that high. To be fair, under high load, the Golf R sounds beefier ( but not at idle and low load), and has a more substantial whine to the turbo (which is doing a lot more work - naturally aspirated, the 2.0TSI lump is probably putting out 150ps, so the turbo/injector/fuel pump set up on the Polo GTI and Golf R are responsible for 50ps and 150ps of total output respectively.

Will be interesting to see if the car does do any better for mpg on RON99 fuel (i'm expecting not, officially the car is not set up for higher Octane fuels like the Golf/Leon variants higher than 245ps output) - I will make my next fill up a 99 fill up to be sure. Altered individual mode so everything is Sport except engine noise (Eco - to kill the Soundaktor), and suspension (set to Normal). Now the Soundaktor isn't blasting, I can hear all the exhaust pops without the windows down.

Picked up and fitted the Polo rubber mats yesterday afternoon, look quite good, stating "Polo" on it in white writing. Can I be bothered to colour the "Polo" Red, as in GTI red? Probably not.

Today the keyless locking seems a bit flaky. It hasn't locked with a touch of the handle 3 times out of 5, and hasn't opened by touch, 2 out of 5 times) had to take key out of pocket and blip it locked/unlocked - and I can confirm that I don't have foil lined pockets in my jeans! :D . Boot does unlock when you have the key on your person in range, you just start to flip the logo handle up and it unlatches, allowing you to open, without the car opening the rest of the doors or unfolding the mirrors.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I saw my first GTI in the flesh today. Limestone grey, standard wheels. Parked up in Leamington Spa.
Fortunately mine will have the sunroof to liven it up a bit because tbh I was a little disappointed with how it looked.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm Today we ventured a little further in the GTI+ than my commute.

Took a trip to Beamish (26 miles), put my foot down a few times on the way there (like when the A1 goes from 50 to 70 before the incline to the Angel of the North), and got 40mpg (twice the distance no more frugal than the commute - more motorway speeds over the journey). The beaming sun made the Flash Red glow - didn't take any pics as the car has been targeted by the local seagulls for a few drips. They'll slide straight off with the sealant. On the way home from Beamish, we diverted to Gateshead Costco on the way - almost exclusively 50mph roads for the 12 miles and the car averaged 45mpg for the journey. For the remaining 14 miles home, that averaged dropped back down to 40mpg. The wife hates the noise associated with the car knocking all the way down to 2nd when you hoof it from 30 - 80, holding onto 2nd to 55mph and holding 3rd from 55 until over 80, i'd estimate about 85, but never took it that high. To be fair, under high load, the Golf R sounds beefier, and has a more substantial whine to the turbo (which is doing a lot more work - naturally aspirated, the 2.0TSI lump is probably putting out 150ps, so the turbo/injector/fuel pump set up on the Polo GTI and Golf R are responsible for 50ps and 150ps of total output respectively.

Will be interesting to see if the car does do any better for mpg on RON99 fuel (i'm expecting not, officially the car is not set up for higher Octane fuels like the Golf/Leon variants higher than 245ps output) - I will make my next fill up a 99 fill up to be sure. Altered individual mode so everything is Sport except engine noise (Eco - to kill the Soundaktor), and suspension (set to Normal). Now the Soundaktor isn't blasting, I can hear all the exhaust pops without the windows down.

Picked up and fitted the Polo rubber mats yesterday afternoon, look quite good, stating "Polo" on it in white writing. Can I be bothered to colour the "Polo" Red, as in GTI red? Probably not.

Today the keyless locking seems a bit flaky. It hasn't locked with a touch of the handle 3 times out of 5, and hasn't opened by touch, 2 out of 5 times) had to take key out of pocket and blip it locked/unlocked - and I can confirm that I don't have foil lined pockets in my jeans! :D . Boot does unlock when you have the key on your person in range, you just start to flip the logo handle up and it unlatches, allowing you to open, without the car opening the rest of the doors or unfolding the mirrors.
Got some custom carpet mats from Ultimate Car Mats. You can choose the carpet quality( or rubber) and a few options. I went for a mid quality grey carpet to contrast with the black interior, red edging and a red GTI symbol( you can specify what text you want , in a few different fonts and colour) plus a rubber heel pad. Personal taste of course
I will post a picture
image.jpeg
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

johnpolo2 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:58 pm I saw my first GTI in the flesh today. Limestone grey, standard wheels. Parked up in Leamington Spa.
Fortunately mine will have the sunroof to liven it up a bit because tbh I was a little disappointed with how it looked.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
It's a funny colour and divides opinion like the taste of Marmite. It's clearly popular, as a fair few people have specced it.

Personally i'm not a fan - love the dark grey (mercury-like) look it has when overcast, don't like the metallic wheaty colour it has in decent conditions. Browns and greige shades are in right now, but for me, if the GTI had been available in Reflex Silver or a grey with blue/purple tones (loved Pewter Grey on my 2009 Scirocco), I might've been persuaded away from Flash Red.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I went for the classic white looks great with the GTI touches my last two cars have been metallic grey Good job I like cleaning my car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:23 pm
Got some custom carpet mats from Ultimate Car Mats. You can choose the carpet quality( or rubber) and a few options. I went for a mid quality grey carpet to contrast with the black interior, red edging and a red GTI symbol( you can specify what text you want , in a few different fonts and colour) plus a rubber heel pad. Personal taste of course
I will post a pictureimage.jpeg
I just don't find that carpet mats look good after about 6 months, pile gets flattened and wears out around where your right foot heel lays. I have just given away the A1's rubber mats to a colleague, nigh on 3 years old and still look pretty new when a bit of trim polish is applied. Those ones of yours do look quite a cut above the standard offerings though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Robint wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:53 pm I went for the classic white looks great with the GTI touches my last two cars have been metallic grey Good job I like cleaning my car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I generally don't like white cars, but the Polo and Golf GTI look good in white (IMO).
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 pm
barrywi wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:23 pm
I will post a pictureimage.jpeg
I just don't find that carpet mats look good after about 6 months, pile gets flattened and wears out around where your right foot heel lays. I have just given away the A1's rubber mats to a colleague, nigh on 3 years old and still look pretty new when a bit of trim polish is applied. Those ones of yours do look quite a cut above the standard offerings though.
Yes you can get a much heavier pile on the carpet for more money but as you say after a few washes they do not look as good. The heavier grade carpet were twice as much and I find that the heavier the pile the more bits of dead grass get stuck in it.
I have rubber ones ,like you ,on the Jaguar which are much more practical and last longer. I have put the mats supplied with the car on the top of the spare wheel under the boot floor rather than having them hanging around the house.
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

Quick question for those have have one, can you get oil temp on the DIS?