Polo 9N Sub And Amp Fitting?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
sweetinglooney
Getting There!

Polo 9N Sub And Amp Fitting?

Post by sweetinglooney »

Hi,

This should be turning up at my door tomorrow,

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/pro ... ts_id+1233

I really need a big favour and ask anyone who has installed a sub and amp to thier 9N on how to install this, with pics if possible

I do not no nothing about this whatsoever so any help would be much appreciated. :?
Andrew B
Getting There!

Post by Andrew B »

No help I'm afraid, but that has been tempting me too :lol:
Lets us know what the sound quality is like, I for one hate that boomy bass a lot of sub put out.
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

sylonien wrote:Well here is my "ghetto" style probably not very good idea on telling some people how or where to wire the power cable from the engine compartment to the interior. (This is how I did mine anyway)

Please note: I will NOT be responsible if you guys destroy your vehicles! This is a "guide". I did not force you to this is. It's your own responsiblity.

Starting with the engine compartment.

Power (positive, plus, red) lead connected to the battery terminal.

The in-line fuse holder (60amp) and in the background underneath the ECU box/chip thingy, you can see the red cable, which is the power cable and it pokes through that grommet. There is a wire already through that hole, which will save you from drilling your own, plus it's close to the battery. (Thanks SiDaBa)

A closer look at the grommet/hole.

This is the view from the inside. You will see the grommet/wire underneath the glovebox compartment. So you don't really need to remove any parts just to get the wire in to the inside. (You will obviously have to when you start wiring it to the boot).

A closer look of this.

(I have skipped the bit about taking the side trims and interior parts off to wire it cleanly from the front passenger to the back.)

Well here you can see the wire has been run along the side sills bit by removing the relevant parts and it pokes back out again on the back side panel. The cable on the right-edge corner is the power cable. The rest is just the subwoofer and remote turn on cables.

Here is a shot of all the equipments placed in the boot and set-up correctly.

The reason why the amp is facing this way is 'cos my earth cable is limited by its length and the closes earth point in the boot (what I did) was behind the medic kit bit. Just carefully pull out the carpet and you should see the point. You can hook it there.

Extra this bit, a look at the subwoofer! A JBL 12" for £49.99! :P

Anyway this is it. Hope it helped you guys and cleared up some stuff. Feel free to ask for anything.

Catch you laters. 8)

thanks to Sylonein for this guide.
jj86
Bronze Member

Post by jj86 »

I dont know about anyone else, but when i installed my sub and amp, it sure as hell were'nt as simple as that guide suggests!

The problematic part, i found, was getting through the bloody double gromits from the engine bay into the interior. I dunno if some 9n's have different layout here, but once past the first gromit, i found another one deep inside, with access really restricted by the windscreen and surrounding structures. Once through there, and fishing around for ages through the side of the glove box structure, the wiring's piece of p***.

Anyway, enough moans. '..Looney', best advice is that you make sure you keep the wiring separate... that is, the power cables running down one side of the car, and the others down the opposite side or else you might get quite a bit of interference.
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

jj86 wrote: The problematic part, i found, was getting through the bloody double gromits from the engine bay into the interior. I dunno if some 9n's have different layout here, but once past the first gromit, i found another one deep inside, with access really restricted by the windscreen and surrounding structures.
u need to remove the grommets, just use a knife etc and wedge it out!
its better to poke something from the inside, thru the bulk head and int o the engine compartment, cus i know, the ECU and other bits do get in the way :evil:
jj86 wrote: Once through there, and fishing around for ages through the side of the glove box structure, the wiring's piece of p***.
try working from the passenger compartment, the grommet can be easily seen if u have a torch :P
jj86 wrote: Anyway, enough moans. '..Looney', best advice is that you make sure you keep the wiring separate... that is, the power cables running down one side of the car, and the others down the opposite side or else you might get quite a bit of interference.
yes, very true, but you dont have to run the speaker wires/remote lead down the passenger side, it can be done by placing it down the centre of the car, just remove bits and pieces around the handbrake/gearbox area.

HTH
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

You can take the positive pole of the battery from the inside the car!!! Under the steering wheel there is a square cup, take it off. In there you will find the place from where to connect the power cable!!! If you can't find it please let me know, I will take a picture to post here for all you who are trying to do this!
Andrew B
Getting There!

Post by Andrew B »

vwclub.gr wrote:You can take the positive pole of the battery from the inside the car!!! Under the steering wheel there is a square cup, take it off. In there you will find the place from where to connect the power cable!!! If you can't find it please let me know, I will take a picture to post here for all you who are trying to do this!
That sounds more like it, looking at the wiring in the example above but me off fitting a sub, looks like I'll be adding one now.
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

Ok , it seems that i might be of some interrest to you guyz so tommorow morning I'm posting a pic!!!
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

vwclub.gr wrote:Ok , it seems that i might be of some interrest to you guyz so tommorow morning I'm posting a pic!!!
im intereseted too.... need a bootlight :oops:
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

OK, here you are!!!

Andrew B
Getting There!

Post by Andrew B »

What about the neg cable were does that go?
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

well if ur hooking up an amp and sub in the boot, then obviously the earth cable has to be as short as possible (usually 0.5m - 1m) and this can be screwd to the seatbelt holder, or "behind the medic kit bit" which is to the left of the boot if u facing your boot.

hope this helps...
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

carmadaaron wrote:well if ur hooking up an amp and sub in the boot, then obviously the earth cable has to be as short as possible (usually 0.5m - 1m) and this can be screwd to the seatbelt holder, or "behind the medic kit bit" which is to the left of the boot if u facing your boot.

hope this helps...
That's correct!!! The negative pole can be mounted anywhere you want on the chasis of the car. Piece of cake. Tha hard part is the positive pole and can be connected as shown above. I hope I helped you...
Andrew B
Getting There!

Post by Andrew B »

Yeah man, cheers to both of you for that, just got to decide what sub I want now.
vwclub.gr
Bronze Member

Post by vwclub.gr »

off topic mode on
Do we have a guide for the tachorings? I have made one for the greek VWClub and I could post here too.