is it ok to have my car buffed?

Detailing & Bodywork
BamesRees
Getting There!

is it ok to have my car buffed?

Post by BamesRees »

my polo has good paint work except for them annoying little scracthes. will buffin my car wreck the paint work? once i buff it will i have to keep on buffin it to maintain the finish or can i just keep on polishin it?
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Buffing as in using a machine?

If you do use a machine do not use a rotary one as that causes swirls. If your serious buy a Porter Cable (expensive).

You can produce a good shine with simple elbow grease!

I use autoglym or meguiars shampoo and wash with a lambs wool mitt

dry the car completely with a aquablade and chamois

Apply Autoglym Super Resign Polish with meguiar applicator pad

Remove with meguiars microfibre cloth

Apply Harly Wax (i imported this from the USA) with a clean meguiar applicator pad one panel at a time and remove with a clean meguiar microfibre cloth before it dries hard when it become a bugger to remove!

Apply AutoGlym vinly and rubber car to black trim and tyres.

Stand back and admire my work (usually about 5 hours work)

If you have light scratches use a product call meguiars scratch-X - If you buy this pm me for a proper users guide as it can be a bugger to use.

Hope this helps
stuart_hatch
Bronze Member

Post by stuart_hatch »

If you have light scratches use a product call meguiars scratch-X - If you buy this pm me for a proper users guide as it can be a bugger to use.
Ive got this, tried it on my 106 and it scratched it, any tips?[/quote]
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

stuart_hatch wrote:

Ive got this, tried it on my 106 and it scratched it, any tips?
[/quote]

Firstly what are you applying it with and what are you using to remove it?

I find it works best in circular overlapping motions. Work a small section at a time and remove before it has chance to dry. Be prepared to go over the area a couple of times. 3 light coats are better than 1 heavy.

Scratch - x generally needs 3-4 applications for light scratches so I would imagine 10 + applications needed for swirl removal, best to concentrate in one panel at a time, maybe even one panel a day or week and expect a sore arm!

Scratch X needs heat to work it properly. This causes the abrasives to break down while polishing to leave a smooth glossy finish. Heat is generated through motion and pressure.