THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
robo 6n2 gti
New

Re: THE Polo GTi Pedal Box Thread

Post by robo 6n2 gti »

Also just had the pedal Box go on my car, The car is now on 114,000 miles, So has lasted for a while
Took the car to VW who admitted they are aware of this issue and will be replacing it free of charge. with addition of a courtesy car while the repairs take place. The gti is now booked in and i will let you guys know how it went. To be honest they where really helpful which was a change.

Symptoms
Crunchy gears
sqeaking when pressing clutch pedal.
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

VW wont do myine free of charge like the above :(

said there was no outstanding recall on my car and because of the age the best they can do is look an diagnose the problem an supply me with a quote for the work.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

justjamie wrote:VW wont do myine free of charge like the above :(

said there was no outstanding recall on my car and because of the age the best they can do is look an diagnose the problem an supply me with a quote for the work.
Keep trying! hassle them for it, and if still no luck try another VW branch
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

im gonna ring vw customer services in amin an have a rant. at the end of the day, whether the car is nearly 10years old or not is irrelevant. i had a 1980 series 1 mk1 golf that was basically completely original bar some coilies and wheels.

all original pedals etc, so if thats lasted 30years, then this should not be goin after 10 or any sooner for that matter
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

got off the fone from VW just and the recall was undertaken back on 2005 so ive gota pay for it.
just got off the phone to midland vw too, and theyre sayin its gona need a new clutch an pedal box as one has gone probably due to the other going.
£350-400 for new clutch an pedal box fitted :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Bit steep, but as said in the PM stick with getting your own SACHs kit and give it to who ever changes the clutch to get it fitted.
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

ive got a mate of my brothers to do it now.
hes gonna take the pedal box out and reweld all the welds to make sure there really strong and solid. hes also gonna fit me a sachs clutch kit. he wnts around £100-£150 labour so with the clutch im lookin at around £250 and should all be sorted.
im gonna replace the cable too.

as for the rest of the gearing problems, has anyone come up with a permanent solution to fixin this problem yet?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

justjamie wrote: as for the rest of the gearing problems, has anyone come up with a permanent solution to fixin this problem yet?
It's hard to say what issues are left when the clutch and pedal box are naffed!
justjamie
New

Post by justjamie »

yeh i know wot u mean dude, im hopefully gettin em sorted this weekend or early next week.
jus hopin my clutch will hold out til i get it sorted :shock:
Silver Member

Post by 5509433 »

My car drives fine (although the heavy clutch, squeaking pedal and jolting gear stick), i was told thats just because of the age of the car...

My car has been in for an MOT and service a few times, surely this is something that should be picked up on and repaired?

My car is going in for a door replacement Monday, due to a driver who hit it. Although it is being repaired under his insurance, money wise, this car does not seem worth it, as the insurers were close to making it a write off...just because of a door!

After that has been done, its only a matter of time before the pedal box goes. And I can hardly per swayed my dad that its a known issue to get it fixed before it breaks..if its not broke, don't fix it.

Im tempted to call VW about the issue but fear the worst about having to pay. One member on here said he got it done for free, how is that possible when all the rest of us has to pay?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Depends on the age of the car, the miles and its service history

All GTIs had it for free as a VOSA recall, the rest are at the dealers goodwill if free. Mine was free as it had come from the VW dealer and was two owners with under 60k miles.

All polos are now outside the goodwill window anyway so you just have to pay for it now.

If the pedal is squeaking and the noise is definately inside the car, the pedal box weld has cracked. A worn, heavy clutch wont help matters.