Lupo GTI 6 Speed Gear Box

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
blackgti
Bronze Member

Lupo GTI 6 Speed Gear Box

Post by blackgti »

Has anyone though of putting a six speed gear box in there Polo?

I am seriously thinking of doing it but I'm not sure if it would be a direct fit. I know the Lupo GTI uses the same engine as that of the Polo GTI.
Oh and if anyone know what the price is for one please let me know thanks. :D
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Yeah, I've thought about that too...would be handy to have that extra gear...not sure if it is possible but wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult!

Let us know how you get on!
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

Should be possible, the same engine as the lupo isn't it?? Try andy dubsport, he had a lupo engine and 6spd gearbox, ages ago tho :? Wouldn't fit on his 1.6 8V engine :(
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

screw that, ive been thinking a 7 speed would be perfect to put in my 1L :)

now if anyone can point me towards a 7-shifter that has ratio gaps that descent fairly linearly from 1.5 1st-2nd to 1.25 6th-7th, has a sequential or quick change (semiauto?) and isnt too bulky/heavy to be practical, thatd be cool

also it's gotta be less than £1000 :D and easy to fit...
soz just playing with figures recently and that fit better than a 5 or 6 for giving a good spread of speeds (maxing 23mph thru 150ish) without the excess of an 8 speed or more. Plus you can pretty much keep the engine speed in the magic 4000-5500 range for most of the gears for acceleration (1-2-3 would be quick changes..) but able to clock it down to under 3500 on the motorway for long distance.

lalalala

failing that a 6 would be nice, would it only fit gti engines?
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

failing that a 6 would be nice, would it only fit gti engines?
From what I've heard, yes it'll only fit the 1.6 GTI engine not the 1.6 8v
blackgti
Bronze Member

Post by blackgti »

Well that would make me a very happy person, I really would like to do this but I'll have to wait a bit now.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Can't see why not as I believed Lupos/MK5 Polos used the same boxes on the same engines 8)
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

extra gear? i would like a 5th let alone a 6th! :cry: i can't remember which way round it works but the polo and lupo have the same engines, but i think one is slightly slower than the other! i think it was the lupo was slower cause u spend more time changing gear! just a thought, might be worth looking into!!!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

The 6th gear ratio is the same or very close to 5th on the earlier box. They put the six speed gearbox in the Lupo to make it more drivable and give it the extra urge in 1/2/3 purely for acceleration purposes.

If you think the 6th gear will enable you to cruise at lower revs then this is not the case. You'd be better of looking at alternative makes, but then this starts to get pricey.

Des
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

heh doug i've started wondering about the possibility of fitting a transfer box to the old girl, much like you might find on a 4x4 (if its in any way possible).. maybe not need an extra gear, as the wide gaps are suited to the engine, but to just shift the ratios. There's usually a stop involved between town and motorway speeds after all..... have a 1:1 ratio to keep the normal speeds for regular town use and hitting 90 with no regard for the valves... 4:3 reduction for better town performance but horrible noises past 70... and similar in the other direction for a planned m'way cruise so long as you can deal with riding the clutch just a little longer from a standstill.

yeah. i know. i'm crazy, i'll go back in my box now. probably be simpler to just mod and fit a suitable 6 speed box with a ratio similar to normal 4th in it (set pretty much perfect for the 1-litre) and the others worked around it.