codes

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
whitie
New

codes

Post by whitie »

does the code in the key need to match the ECU or sumthin else in the system that tels the ECU its ok to start?

cheers
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

oh heres the way it works
there is a "chip" in the key* this has to be present within about 2" of the ignitiion barel where there is a transponder ** this transponder comunicates with the ecu and if the ecu dosent get the correct signal then the engine will start, wait 2 or three seconds and then die ( same way as most renaults if you open the door with the key insted of the remote) if you ever need to change either the transponder or the key then the ecu will need to be accesed with a tool such as a vag-com (see group buy forum) so that the ecu can be reprogrammed to the new chip.
* to see the chip in th key insert a thin coin (1p/5p) or a knite or screwdriver into the groove that runs around the key (not valet key as the "chip" is inside the moulded plastic) then twist and watch as the contents of the key (spring, bulb, metal strip, button etc) launch them selfs as far as possible then once youve found everything look inside the key and you should see a tiny grey cube next to where the metal exits the plastic. this is the "chip2 as you can see its not really a chip but ill explain that next.
** the transponder is the plastic piece round the ignition barel and performs 2 functions; it emits a signal when the key is inserted and at the same time it looks for another signal that is similar but manipulated by the chip (i wont go into depth here but its to do with induction and refraction and a little refraction) the signal that it recives is slightly amplified with in the transponder and then sent to the ecu making it nigh on imposible to just add a feed or ground into the signal cable.

if you think the signal wire interuption bypass technique is simple then you wanna hear about some other types like the slot type that can be tricked with a certain fruit (only one type will work and it only worls on older ones)
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

ahhhh, so as long as the key and ignition baralle(surround) r kept
ne ECU can b used?
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

im not 100% sure on that because it could be an encoded signal that the ecu see`s but im 100% sure that there must be a way of making them match and if it can be done then you WILL need vag com to do it ahem group buy)
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

lol, i did wana go for the group buy,but as a skint student whose loan aint
turned up and aint had a job since october........i cant :cry:
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/I ... ching.html
tunr over the sofa or pimp yourself out then :D come on its for the good of your baby and im ordering one today
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

wish i cud :cry: :cry: