Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Chally_Rai
Sponsor

Post by Chally_Rai »

SteveB wrote:
polo gangsta wrote:cheeers m8 i will hopefully know what to do now
thanx agen 4 da pics n da help
No problem. Feel free to show your appreciation but not talking/ typing 'gangsta' all be it your name. :)
Steve....quit showing your age :P
tomadomeit
New

Post by tomadomeit »

nice one Steve. I cant see the pics yet because im at college il have a proper look when i get home. Thanks for your help most of the text seems pretty logical. Il have a go at this at the weekend probly.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

nice write up Steve, that would have been very useful for me about a month or so ago when we attempted to fix Hollie's window.
nevermind, maybe you should think about putting that write up in the DIY section if its not already there?
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

hey

i have just taken the door card of the passengers side door but i am having a bit of trouble trying to take off the white clips that are all around the door so does any one at all know how to remove them any help would be appreciated,

cheeeers
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

Chally_Rai wrote:Steve....quit showing your age :P
What 4 and a half months younger than you Rach?! :P

@polo_gangsta
Its not particularly easy and they don't always go back in as securely. I expect VW would recommend replacing them but my doorcard is still secure enough after a couple of re-fits. I think I used a couple a flat bladed screw drivers each side of them and then just pull it hard.
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

yh i was going to try that but i had a feeling that they would break so i dint bother so i tryed a few other ways to remove the clips but that didin't work, so it looks like i will just have to yank them off with a screwdriver and if they break they break i will probably just go and get some new ones because they should't cost too much,

but anyway cheers for your help
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

Mine didn't brake at all, just bent out of shape a bit so no biggy really.
polo gangsta
Bronze Member

Post by polo gangsta »

hey

i have just bought a brand new motor for my electric window on the passengers side but could anyone give me some detailed instructions on how to change it because the instructions that came with the motor were rubbish so any help would be appreciated,

cheers
polokaj
Getting There!

Post by polokaj »

yeh if someone be so kind enough to reup the vw video, the link dosnt seem to work anymore

thanks
twistedl
Getting There!

Post by twistedl »

I could do with the video please as mine is just clicking and I think I need the repair kit
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

my drivers side one stopped working, so we took it apart, which is a complete nightmare to get at the motor, we took the motor apart and everything seemed fine, I dont know what the repair kit replaces? Can anyone elaborate on it?

The strange thing is when we put mine back together again it started working so its ok now.

Can anyone explain though what exactly is in the repair kit as its hard to know what to replace so it would be useful to know whats in the kit? new cog or something?
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

the big instruction set thingy on the last page is great, except for one thing.....my window wont go down. bit of a bugger. any ideas how to get it down? otherwise i cant get at the bolt....
solidsponge
Bronze Member

Post by solidsponge »

Just got the repair kit, its just the cog and a wire, the wire doesnt fit though on my mk4 anyway. The cog fit BUT you have to take the cog with the wires off and the wires fell off and we could not get them back on, its impossible to get the wires back on if they come off pretty much, they were on, but you dont know how exactly they go on, the haynes manual doesnt even mention the wire and cog top part, it just writes about it as if its not there!

Anyway got it back on, tried the window and it worked, but it didnt go all the way up, started crunching, the wires got all crunched up and its totally f****d basically now. The wires need replacing, which looks like a massive mess on and possibly impossible, not to mention the window would not stay up now so Ive had to put two blocks of wood on!

So anyone thinking about doing it, it does fix them, it fixed mine, but if the wire setup comes off and chances are it will sine you have to take the top cog with the wire off, then the chances of putting it back and wrapping two wires on without images or anything is remote!
Emilyâ„¢
Getting There!

Post by Emilyâ„¢ »

See i rekon mines not this,
every time i go over a bump ma windows switch!

only one works at one time
so i jus have to go over bumps to switch em around a bit

:?

garage dont believe me, probs cos im a girl n they rip me off to F**k
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

sounds like a loose connection. whip off the door cards and have a look for any frayed wiring. diy guide on door cards in the diy section. :D and smile!